Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > And Some Gave All.... > TAPS

Old 09-24-2010, 11:50   #1
Deadhead 63A1
Quiet Professional

RIP MAJ Paul Carron

A West Point classmate of mine, MAJ Paul Carron, died in Afghanistan this past Sunday. He was 33, a husband, and the father of a little girl and as yet unborn boy. Paul served as a platoon leader in the 82nd Airborne, and a platoon leader and company XO in 3-75, with whom he deployed once to Afghanistand and twice to Iraq. He deployed again to Iraq as a company commander in 1st BDE, 25th ID and had a second command with the 5th Ranger Training Battalion, after which he served as an assitant operations officer with 75th Ranger Regiment. His most recent assignment was as the XO for 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment in Qalat, Afghanistan.

I posted this to share with you a letter he wrote several years ago that was published in the Washington Times. I think it speaks to the kind of man he was and the esteem in which he held his fellow Soldiers.

RIP, Paul. Be thou at peace.

http://www.west-point.org/users/usma1999/55774/

Quote:
Maj. Paul D. Carron, 33, of Mo. died Sept. 18 at Qalat, Afghanistan, of injuries sustained in a non-combat related incident. He was assigned to the 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, Vilseck, Germany.

The details of his death are under investigation at this time.

Maj. Carron is survived by his wife, 2 1/2 year old daughter, and a third child (a son) due in a few weeks. Funeral arrangements are pending.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Letter to the editor – Published in the Washington Times
(He was at the time Capt. Paul Carron)

I was fascinated to watch the exchange between actor Richard Belzer and Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen ("Into the lion's den," Inside Politics, March 26, 2006). I have completed four combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. I participated in the initial invasion of Afghanistan in 2001 and parachuted into Iraq three years ago this month. Most recently, I had the privilege of leading an infantry company in Mosul, Iraq. I use this as context, not authority, because, according to Mr. Belzer, participating in a conflict indicates a lack of understanding.

When I was younger, my father made me read a book by James Michener, "The Bridges at Toko-Ri." When I finished, I told him the book was about naval aviators during the Korean War. He looked at me a little disappointed and told me I had missed the point. The book to him was not about pilots or the Korean War — it was about the bravery of men. At the end of the book, the captain of an aircraft carrier is watching his men suit up for yet another mission when he asks himself out loud, "Where do we get such men?

Why is America lucky enough to have such men?" Today, while actors and talk-show hosts see fit to broadly characterize the men and women of the armed forces as "19- and 20-year-old kids who couldn't get a job," we should be asking the same question.
I wish Bill Maher, Richard Belzer and the young adults of my generation who comment from campuses and talk shows all over the country and mistake knowledge for understanding could see what's really happening over there. I welcome their right to disagree, but I wish they would educate themselves well enough to disagree intelligently.

They should see a 22-year-old spend two hours sitting on a hard concrete floor negotiating an electricity contract or generator plan only to hit an improvised explosive device emplaced by the very people he seeks to help; a 19-year-old female medic advise a 19-year-old Iraqi mother on how to treat her child's ear infection; or men still dazed from a bomb blast that killed a friend and wounded seven others return from a mission and roll up their sleeves to give blood for the wounded, then clean the blood out of their vehicle to do a night patrol.

They do it without ceremony or formality; they do it because it is their job and they are driven by sense of purpose few in other professions can understand.

"Where do we get such men?" From all over — not just America, but from many other countries, but I know for sure the dedication required to do what they do every day is equal to the demands of any "real job."

Capt. Paul Carron, U.S. Army, Fort Lewis, Wash.
Deadhead 63A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:07   #2
JimP
Quiet Professional

For those who may not have made the connection - this was Doug Carron's Kid. Thoughts and prayers out to the entire family. I cannot imagine....
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 13:06   #3
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Rest In God's Peace Major!
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 13:27   #4
FMF DOC
Guerrilla

RIP Sir
Old 09-24-2010, 14:15   #5
Bordercop
Guerrilla

Wonderful letter. RIP Major and may God bless his family and friends.

Perge Sed Caute

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same - Ronald Reagan

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month - Theodore Roosevelt

We herd sheep, we drive cattle, and we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way - George S. Patton
Bordercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 15:34   #6
Pete
Quiet Professional

RIP MAJ Paul Carron

RIP MAJ Paul Carron

You will be missed.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 16:11   #7
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Rest In Peace, Sir.
Old 09-24-2010, 16:57   #8
dennisw
Area Commander

These notices are the saddest of things. Not just due to the loss of life as that is inevitably a part of this veil of tears in which we live. But the loss of an intelligent and honorable man like this who knowingly put himself in harm’s way for his brothers and for us all is staggering. Where indeed do we find men like this? I am profoundly humbled by this young man’s sacrifice. I pray his family finds comfort in the nobility of his effort, and their anguish is lessened by the salve of our gratefulness.
Old 09-24-2010, 17:37   #9
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisw View Post
These notices are the saddest of things. Not just due to the loss of life as that is inevitably a part of this veil of tears in which we live. But the loss of an intelligent and honorable man like this who knowingly put himself in harm’s way for his brothers and for us all is staggering. Where indeed do we find men like this? I am profoundly humbled by this young man’s sacrifice. I pray his family finds comfort in the nobility of his effort, and their anguish is lessened by the salve of our gratefulness.
Well said, DW.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 17:50   #10
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
RIP Warrior, Vaya con Dios..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 17:51   #11
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior...............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 18:54   #12
Tatonka316
Gold Star Father

Rest in Peace, Major. Thank you for your service and your sacrifice. You will ALWAYS be missed and NEVER forgotten!

molon labe
Tatonka316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 19:07   #13
wet dog

Rest in Peace brother, sleep well.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:06   #14
lawrand
Asset

Thank God for men such as this. Rest in Peace, Major. God Bless you and your family.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:22   #15
Penn
Area Commander

Rest in Peace Maj.Carron may God Bless and Keep you always.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote