Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 08-25-2010, 20:48   #1
HaveBlue
Auxiliary

One of Mr. H's comes home.........

to Oregon, anyway.
I just recieved an A/F Boot Knife! The guard is stamped #025 and it has a hollow grind on the backside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 127822817.jpg (89.7 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg medium.jpg (29.1 KB, 159 views)
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 20:52   #2
HaveBlue
Auxiliary

More pics here (bottom of page)

http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/harsey_designs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 127822822.jpg (131.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 127822821.jpg (149.2 KB, 115 views)
Old 08-25-2010, 22:33   #3
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

that's a low number....Yancey or Harsey????

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:03   #4
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
that's a low number....Yancey or Harsey????

ss
To the best of my memory Yancey never used my mark or ever ground a three sided blade.... so I must have made it, and did.

HaveBlue,
That knife was made by me and delivered directly to Col. Rex Applegate and it started the journey from his place on the Umpqua River at Scottsburg, Oregon.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:41   #5
Rumblyguts
Guerrilla

That right there is whacha call provenance!
Rumblyguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:29   #6
HaveBlue
Auxiliary

From Scottsburg to Scott's House!

I had no doubt it was Mr. Harsey's work. The seller didn't list size details or that it was a boot knife. The low serial told me that it most likley wasn't a "full size" knife.

Bill, what was the time frame when you made this knife? I'm thinking of bringing or sending it to you for a refurb.

PS, Did you get your camshaft issue resolved?
Old 08-26-2010, 12:23   #7
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Just goes to show that some knife historians have inaccurate information out on the web.....
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
Old 08-26-2010, 17:31   #8
HaveBlue
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
Just goes to show that some knife historians have inaccurate information out on the web.....
SS, If your refering to this from Wickersham's article;

Quote:
Meanwhile, Bill Harsey, having started with serial number 1000, and also using 154cm, was making the handmade versions; with Al Mar Knives in full production of the A/F by 1987
I believe that applies to the full size knives and not the other variants that Bill made.
Old 08-26-2010, 20:37   #9
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

yup...so much for attempting to become educated about a legendary blade.

ss

Old 09-16-2010, 07:10   #10
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Not trying to hi-jack,, but I found this on ebay. It's not serialized but is touted as aa early Blackjack prototype.

Mr H,

Could you give us a little history lesson and enlighten us on who did what to whom, & when??

Tx

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

Blackjack Knives Effingham, ILL. This knife is an Applegate -Fairbairn Fighting knife prototype. The knife is 11" long overall, and the Double edged blade is 5-3/4" long. The blade has a bead blasted finish. The white plastic handles were supplied by Col. Applegate himself, so that he could maintain control of actual #s produced. He did the same thing on the production line of knives, and supplied the Green handles that are now famous for cracking. These White handled knives are very rare,( only 17 ) and are now a real piece of History! This was # 7 of 17, although I'm having trouble locating the # tag ( it was only paper on a string ). The condition of the knife is Far from perfect. These were prototypes, and as a result, were handled, and measured, and messed with a lot! This one has a couple spots of some sort of glue on the front side of the blade. ( not rust ! ) Comes with the early production eye-hole riveted sheath.Never been used carried, or sharpened, but none the less, Used condition! I only ship to the United States via U.S.P.S. priority mail with delivery confirmation, at about half cost to the buyer, just $4.00! Thanks for looking, and please check out my other listings for more interesting knives!

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:01   #11
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

That's awesome.

HaveBlue: Refurb!? Are you saying that you want Bill to erase the history of that knife?
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 21:22   #12
HaveBlue
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Urbanovsky View Post
That's awesome.

HaveBlue: Refurb!? Are you saying that you want Bill to erase the history of that knife?
Nope, just reblast the grips.