Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Professional Soldiers ® "Hall of Shame" > "Hall of Shame Inductees"

Old 08-18-2010, 14:39   #1
MVP
Quiet Professional

Posing is Constitutional

US appeals court panel: Law against faking receipt of military medals is unconstitutional

Published August 17, 2010

PASADENA, Calif. – A three-year-old federal law that makes it a crime to falsely claim to have received a medal from the U.S. military is unconstitutional, an appeals court panel in California ruled Tuesday.

The decision involves the case of Xavier Alvarez of Pomona, Calif., a water district board member who said at a public meeting in 2007 that he was a retired Marine who received the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military decoration.

Alvarez was indicted in 2007. He pleaded guilty on condition that he be allowed to appeal on First Amendment grounds. He was sentenced under the Stolen Valor Act to more than 400 hours of community service at a veterans hospital and fined $5,000.

A panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with him in a 2-1 decision Tuesday, agreeing that the law was a violation of his free-speech rights. The majority said there's no evidence that such lies harm anybody, and there's no compelling reason for the government to ban such lies.

The dissenting justice insisted that the majority refused to follow clear Supreme Court precedent that false statements of fact are not entitled to First Amendment protection.

The act revised and toughened a law that forbids anyone to wear a military medal that wasn't earned. The measure sailed through Congress in late 2006, receiving unanimous approval in the Senate.

Dozens of people have been arrested under the law at a time when veterans coming home from wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are being embraced as heroes. Many of the cases involve men who simply got caught living a lie without profiting from it. Almost all the impostors have been ordered to perform community service.

The U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles said it was deciding whether to appeal Tuesday's ruling.

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 14:44   #2
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

The reason they gave was the worse part. They said it's free speech to lie about a Medal of Honor because it doesn't hurt anyone.
Old 08-18-2010, 16:42   #3
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

I am so pissed I can't even think straight,that in this great country something like this could happen to our honored and decorated hero's...... When will this country wake up and realize where we are headed? When?.......... In someways I'm glad I'm an old man and won't have to be around when it does...........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 22:42   #4
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

It is only 'illegal' if there is profit, recognized gain, etc, but to just say it in public as long as it doesn't lead to a job...wow, have to (?) respect the 9th circuit for shaming the honor of all those who have earned all of the citations, medals, ribbons and honors by allowing an imposter/poser/lier to publically display or state they are their equals...it just offends the common senses.

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 23:04   #5
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

I'd love to see the pictures and names of all these posers put out all over the place in order for the general population to be able to publicly censure them or even deny them services at say, restaurants, hotels, employment, etc.

I know, that's mean and unAmerican. But ask me if I give a sh*t! These people are lower than politicians and the media.
Old 08-19-2010, 00:50   #6
bluebb
Quiet Professional

Free speech

Guess I can call myself a judge now
Think I will be a supreme court judge at that

Blue

NOUS DEFIONS
bluebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:36   #7
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
...When will this country wake up and realize where we are headed?Big Teddy
You mean "beheaded", right?
Old 08-19-2010, 04:54   #8
Richard
Quiet Professional

Does everyone realize that the way the law was written, even someone such as an undercover agent who claims to have been SF or a SEAL and awarded an SF Tab or Trident or Parachutist Badge or BSM or PH or any such award or decoration as a part of their cover story could be charged under the SV Act for making such claims?

S 1998 at http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~c1094Wryz2::

The intent of the law is honorable - the law itself, as written, is flawed.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:36   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Does everyone realize that the way the law was written, even someone such as an undercover agent who claims to have been SF or a SEAL and awarded an SF Tab or Trident or Parachutist Badge or BSM or PH or any such award or decoration as a part of their cover story could be charged under the SV Act for making such claims?

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~c1094Wryz2::

Richard's $.02
While that may be "correct" out of the dozens and dozens of "FRAUDS" I've dealt with none have been arrested or charged with anything. Some of the individuals I've busted have actually placed real soldiers (and civilian police) in harms way. How much more egregious does being a fraud need to be? And all have done it (posed as a Special Forces soldier) for personal gain.

I'm going to start a identity theft ring posing as a 9th circuit Judge. If and when I'm caught I'm going to use freedom of speech as my defense.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:03   #10
rdret1
Quiet Professional

Leave it to the 9th Circuit CoA to come up with this decision. It really doesn't surprise me that this is the venue they chose to try the case. It increased their odds tremendously. Maybe it will go to SCOTUS, like a large number of the 9th Circuits decisions have.

~ Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

R.D. Winters
rdret1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 14:14   #11
Box
Quiet Professional

reintroduction

I have been keeping this to myself since I did not want to make any of you uncomfortable...

Allow me to reintroduce my self.
My name is Billy. I am the President of the United Kingdom of Raefordstan. I have been awarded the Kings Medal for Greatness a record 14 times. I considered resigning from my position as president to assume a position on the 9th Circus Court of Appeals but they have not yet proved worthy of true respect.

The Court Jesters are quite entertaining, they make me smile.

Thats is all.... please return to your activities.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 14:42   #12
JimP
Quiet Professional

The ninth circuit is the most overturned court in the land. THis ruling won't last. They are from California.....Need I say more?
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 17:29   #13
koz
Quiet Professional

I am now the Supreme Emperor of North America. All heed my authority!
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 17:49   #14
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

S 1998 at http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~c1094Wryz2::

Richard's $.02
i dont agree with this analysis. this situation is covered by the defense of justification. it would be analagous to charging an undercover cop with possession of a controlled substance immediately after he did a "buy".

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 19:16   #15
Richard
Quiet Professional

Not being a jurist, I would certainly hope common sense would dictate in the interpretation of this law as written.

Whoever falsely represents himself or herself, verbally or in writing, to have been awarded any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the Armed Forces of the United States, any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces, the ribbon, button, or rosette of any such badge, decoration, or medal, or any colorable imitation of such item shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

However, based upon the 9th CofA's decision, it seems as if not all jursits can agree upon such a premise.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote