Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 04-10-2010, 22:36   #1
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Organ Donor

In November my wife received a life saving heart transplant. Below is a short video that she made to tell her story and promote becoming an organ donor as part of Donate Life Colorado's push during organ donor awareness month. Share the link if you like.

r/mp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vn9b0rXxwI

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:10   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Fantastic video,

Best wishes to Beth and you..

Thanks for the reminder, It just went out to everyone on my email list.

JJ

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:14   #3
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Glad to hear your wife is doing well. Send her my thanks for sharing her story.

An additional note: Talk to your family/next of kin about your intentions to be an organ donor. Regardless of your intentions, they wll need to give consent for organ harvesting for donation.

http://www.transplants.org/OrganTissueDonation.php
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:52   #4
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

=

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-17-2018 at 08:28.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:37   #5
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flag 1 View Post
Great video and great outcome!!

I have a friend, retired Marine, on a bridge mechanical heart awaiting his transplant. He is in Richmond, VA @ MCV. Sending this clip his way!!

Thanks for posting this, and be well you two and your family!!

RF 1
All, Thanks for your posts and sharing of the video.

RF, Beth was on a BiVAD TLC 2 plus driver manufactured by Thoratec for 5 1/2 months. You can see pictures of the driver in her video and the drive lines running under her shirt are connected to canulas that entered the left side of her abdomen. All of her blood flow was controlled by the driver and her heart was set at 82 BPM. She now goes to see all of the new patients at UCH that are being placed on a BiVAD to counsel then and encourage them in their fight. She is really an inspiration!

r/Mike

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 14:26   #6
Gypsy
Area Commander

So very glad to hear your wife is doing well, thanks for sharing this!

I've had my donor intentions on my DL for years now, and have told family members.
Old 04-11-2010, 15:22   #7
armymom1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
Glad to hear your wife is doing well. Send her my thanks for sharing her story.

An additional note: Talk to your family/next of kin about your intentions to be an organ donor. Regardless of your intentions, they wll need to give consent for organ harvesting for donation.

http://www.transplants.org/OrganTissueDonation.php
Fantastic Video. Give Beth my best!

We, here in Florida, have an option on our drivers license, for a designation that signifies us as organ donors. I have had mine there for the past 20 yrs. I figure if I am a goner, I cannot use this stuff and someone else can, more power to em! It is another reason I keep myself healthy and fit. The better I take care of me, and my insides, the more use they will be to someone who needs them after I don't.

Check with your home states and see if your drivers license can carry the organ donar designation.

GIVE THE GIFT OF LIFE!
AM
Old 04-11-2010, 21:53   #8
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Very cool video, thanks for sharing! I've been an organ donor since I could drive and a bone marrow donor since I was in the military. Great programs!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:29   #9
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Thanks for sharing the video and all the very best to your wife.
That is an amazing story.

I've been a registered donor for many years.

PedOncoDoc,
Good info.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:54   #10
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Families have trumped the organ donor designation on a driver's license - hence the need to discuss your intentions with your next of kin regardless.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
Old 04-12-2010, 08:54   #11
ccrn
Guerrilla

Quote:
Families have trumped the organ donor designation on a driver's license - hence the need to discuss your intentions with your next of kin regardless.

I worked on a transplant ICU for a few years and saw some amazing things there.

And you are right....families can intervene and "trump" the donation process. So speaking to them is inmportant. If there is any dissent things most likely will not work out as everything must move quicly for the obvious reasons. And rightfully so. The day organ donation is enforced is a bad day.

mffjm8509, wish your wife and yourself many more blessings to come-
Old 04-12-2010, 10:12   #12
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post
Thanks for sharing the video and all the very best to your wife.
That is an amazing story.

I've been a registered donor for many years.

PedOncoDoc,
Good info.
I concur with Bill,God Bless Beth and You..........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:05   #13
PR31C
Guerrilla

Bone marrow registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I've been an organ donor since I could drive and a bone marrow donor since I was in the military. Great programs!
Our family learned the hard way of the importance of registering as a bone marrow donor. Sometimes even family does not make a good match for a marrow transplant and the wait to find a match can truely be a killer. This procedure is no longer the painful one that it used to be and you truely will be a life saver to some one.

Quote:
Joshua is a 2 tour Iraq War Veteran living in Tucson, AZ. In October of 2006, he became very sick, just three weeks before his tour was over. The military medevaced him out of the war zone and back to the U.S. for diagnosis and treatment. Joshua was sent to the Army Regional Hospital in Seattle WA where they diagnosed him with a rare autoimmune disorder. The only known cure is a bone marrow transplant so Joshua was put on the national registry with no match found out of approximately 6 million registered donors.
Complete story

Register here

Josh Grave3.jpg
"A politician sees his family everyday; a deployed soldier once in 6 months or a year. A politician flies 1st class; a soldier flies in a C130. A politician's pension is not reduced; a soldier's is clawed 65%. A politician enjoys an expense account; a soldier must justify extra rations. A politician vows to defend their country; a soldier actually keeps that promise."

"Beware of fake quotes on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln.
PR31C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:51   #14
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR31C View Post
Our family learned the hard way of the importance of registering as a bone marrow donor. Sometimes even family does not make a good match for a marrow transplant and the wait to find a match can truely be a killer. This procedure is no longer the painful one that it used to be and you truely will be a life saver to some one.

Complete story

Register here

Attachment 15193
As both a recipient of, and physician overseeing, bone marrow transplants I second this wholeheartedly. With the availability of cord blood, suitable ("close enough") matches are becoming easier to find for people, but cord blood is of limited utility to grown adults. The best bet is to have as many people register as possible - just as with organ donation, exception being you can donate marrow and go home the same day - not so much for a heart.

I would also encourage donating blood for all those who are cleared to do so.

My $.02...
Old 04-12-2010, 12:28   #15
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
As both a recipient of, and physician overseeing, bone marrow transplants I second this wholeheartedly. With the availability of cord blood, suitable ("close enough") matches are becoming easier to find for people, but cord blood is of limited utility to grown adults. The best bet is to have as many people register as possible - just as with organ donation, exception being you can donate marrow and go home the same day - not so much for a heart.

I would also encourage donating blood for all those who are cleared to do so.

My $.02...
While luckily I have not had the need for replacement organs, blood or marrow, I have had my OD sticker on every drivers license since my first and donate blood regularly since the first time they came to my high school gym Junior year. And I make sure to extol its values to those who don't.

This post has been great. Congrats to you and Beth, and I'll have to look more into bone marrow donation.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote