Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 03-29-2010, 17:44   #1
Snaquebite
Area Commander

The Yarborough Knife: Symbol of a legacy

RELEASE NUMBER: 100328-02
DATE POSTED: MARCH 28, 2010

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, March 28, 2010) – While Special Forces Soldiers are known for their mastery of many weapons, one weapon in their arsenal stands out in particular: the Yarborough Knife.

Named after Lt. Gen. William P. Yarborough, who is known as the “father of modern Special Forces,” the 12.5-inch combat utility knife began as a simple dinner conversation between Yarborough and Lt. Gen. Doug Brown about the need for a standard knife for Special Forces. Yarborough wanted Special Forces Soldiers to have a distinct edge blade weapon like their ancestors in World War II.

Beginning in August 2002 every Soldier who graduated from the Special Forces Qualification Course, part of the U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School, was issued the Yarborough Knife with its own serial number, and signed a special record book along with the most elite members of the United States Army, including Yarborough himself. The knife was also initially available for current Green Berets and Special Forces veterans.

Distribution of the Yarborough Knife was discontinued in 2004, after roughly one-thousand knives were issued. Maj. Gen. Thomas R. Csrnko, commanding general of USAJFKSWCS, reinstituted the issue of the knife, and was the first to sign for the new blades in 2008, with each knife now containing a serial followed by the limited edition number of its blade.

As each Green Beret crosses the stage upon graduation of the SFQC, he receives a legacy of the Brotherhood of Special Forces, signing in the pages of an illustrious history, shared by a select few. Only a few short years after its conception, the honor of the Yarborough Knife has now become almost as large of a part of the heritage and tradition of Special Forces as the Green Beret, and has also been shared with a small number of dignitaries such as President George W. Bush.

yarborough1.jpg

http://news.soc.mil/releases/News%20...100328-02.html

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"

Last edited by Snaquebite; 03-29-2010 at 17:47.
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:58   #2
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Snaquebite,
Thank you very much for posting this.
I had little idea the extraordinary caliber of men we would meet by doing this project.

From the entire Reeve shop and mine, it is an honor to be able to do this project for the United States Army Special Forces.

The photograph is of one the hand built originals done by me here while Chris Reeve was ramping up production for the first group of knives to be delivered to the Army.
There was only one other prototype made before the one pictured. It was the knife used for testing and approval.

A most sincere and deep Thanks for the sacrifices and work you all do.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:06   #3
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Bill,
Let me say thank you for your time, effort and skill in creating this knife. Job well done.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:55   #4
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Zero Three View Post
Bill,
Let me say thank you for your time, effort and skill in creating this knife. Job well done.
Bill,

I totally agree with PZT,it's a beautifully created work of art............... I love mine ................

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 20:02   #5
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Thanks guys. This project wouldn't exist without the production expertise and hard driving crew in the Chris Reeve shop.

If memory serves, the photo in news release was by Anne Reeve.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 15:32   #6
x SF med
Quiet Professional

I know that a Yarborough will decimate a roasted pig, bones and all... it was tested at the CH XVI picnic last summer... although pig fat is hard to get out of micarta and a pig sternum will dull the blade a little.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote