Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Ammo Talk

Old 03-25-2010, 12:33   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Le Mas Availability??

I PM'd Stan (APLP) last week with a question about La Mas availability and to get his take on CCI/Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel.

I have carried a S&W 940, Continental for 20+ yrs. It is a 5-rd, 9MM, J frame revolver with full moon clips. I have used various types and manufactures ammo. Most of the time, selection was based on price not quality.

I will shortly posses a S&W CS9. The CS9 has a 3 inch barrel, based on the S&W model 39. It is 4 oz lighter, loads 7+1, and is thinner than the 940. (c attached comparison)

You Yankees might scoff at the wonder 9mm,, but I am more concerned with the CCW printing in my Speedos,,, NOT

Knowing autos are more selective when feeding and ejecting, I am looking for some feedback on what others use in their short barrel wonder-9's.

1st: If TR says Le Mas GTG, I'm happy, but is it available to us poor civilians??

2nd: The Gold Dot Short Barrel. I have read good reviews on S&W forums about GDSB. The fact that they use a quicker burning powder to limit nite flash in short barrels is appealing. The 124 gr +P: with a 3.5 inch test barrel clocked 1155 fps and testers have had similar results.

3rd: ????

There seems to be very little GDSB or NO Le Mas RDCB on the internet.. I did find a site that SAYS they have regular GD.

Anybody know of an online source or shop that sells on the phone, or have a spare box or two??

In 20+ yrs I have only pulled my CCW 1 time, and it ended quickly & quietly in my favor. Local LEO's responded,, the incident terminated with ZERO paperwork..

Thanks
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 642CS9different.jpg (35.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg CS9G26side-by-side.jpg (40.6 KB, 64 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 03-25-2010 at 15:50.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 14:20   #2
BrainStorm
Guerrilla

Some resources you might try for RBCD ammo:
Full disclosure: I've had paperwork to become an RBCD dealer for a long time. I have no current plans to execute them, although I have not ruled it out.
BrainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 15:02   #3
jatx
Area Commander

I have been trying to figure out for some time whether RBCD and LeMas ammo are the same thing. The answers I've found are confusing at best. Will RBCD perform like my friends here say LeMas does, or am I better off sticking with my Gold Dots for defensive carry?

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 15:06   #4
BrainStorm
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx View Post
I have been trying to figure out for some time whether RBCD and LeMas ammo are the same thing. The answers I've found are confusing at best.
I'm in the same boat, but RBCD is my only choice as non-Military and non-LEO.
Old 03-25-2010, 15:40   #5
BrainStorm
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx View Post
Will RBCD perform like my friends here say LeMas does, or am I better off sticking with my Gold Dots for defensive carry?
One metric for evaluating efficacy is Kinetic Energy
Gold Dot Personal Protection - 9mm Luger +P
RBCD Personal Defense

Summary:
Speer Gold Dot - 124 gr - 1220 fps - Muzzle KE: 410 ft-lbs
RBCD 9mm 60 gr. TFSP 2010 fps / 539 flbs
RBCD 9mm TPD 50 gr. TPD 2300 fps / 590 flbs

That's the best I can do for you. Let me know if you learn more.
Old 03-25-2010, 15:54   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainStorm View Post
I'm in the same boat, but RBCD is my only choice as non-Military and non-LEO.
This is a quandary, I had fount the RBCD site, but it makes no mention of Le Mas??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 15:56   #7
BrainStorm
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
This is a quandary, I had fount the RBCD site, but it makes no mention of Le Mas??
I believe Le Mas a trademarked product manufactured by RBCD but not sold by them. Stan could be more specific.
Old 03-28-2010, 18:33   #8
357SIGFAN
Asset

LeMas and RBCD fans claim that they are different. This is because they decry Dr. Robert's posted spectrum analysis of an RBCD round showing it to be lead and no other "special metals", stating that the LeMas round is, indeed, composed of materials other than lead, gilding metal, and polymer, while the round Dr. Roberts shows testing regarding is "just RBCD".

Based on this, either they are the same thing and there is no blended anything, or they are indeed different and you can't get "the real deal" unless you have the credentials.

At least, this is what I understand from reading posts on this board regarding RBCD/LeMas.
357SIGFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:28   #9
Razor
Quiet Professional

Here, let me correct your post for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357SIGFAN View Post
LeMas and RBCD fans claim that they are different. This is because they decry Dr. Robert's (D.D.S.) posted spectrum analysis of an RBCD round showing it to be lead and no other "special metals", stating that the LeMas round is, indeed, composed of materials other than lead, gilding metal, and polymer, while the round Dr. Roberts (D.D.S.) shows testing regarding is "just RBCD".

Based on this, either they are the same thing and there is no blended anything, or they are indeed different and you can't get "the real deal" unless you have the credentials.

At least, this is what I understand from reading posts on this board regarding RBCD/LeMas.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 13:59   #10
badshot
Guerrilla Chief

Lemas and Small CCW

Reaper may be rolling his eyes on this one but: The blended metals APLP (lemas) is not available to the general public. Some QP's doing active contracts in war zones have been able to get them. The reason of course is if bad guys or the inexperienced had these rounds, they could do serious damage in short order. An item not to be left behind.

JJ_BPK,

For a small CCW weapon I prefer the Titanium Taurus models, in 9mm the Model 709TI. I always have the Ultra-Lite Titanium Model 85 J frame revolver (concealed hammer) in a pocket. There are a few reasons for this: 1) Rust prevention is minimal. After a swim or a good tropical sweat I'd still break it down. 2) At 13.5oz, little to no coat pull. 3) Can just keep hand in pocket and if you need it without delay, just fire through your clothes. Too bad they don't have a J Frame 45APC model.

For both these weapons I use the corbon all copper hollow points +p, low recoil/flash even with porting, and work when soaking wet. I do not how this round shoots through harder materials like glass or doors though.