Old 01-24-2010, 18:54   #1
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Kayak

Just curious if anybody here was involved in the development of the kayak manual. Would have been in the mid 70's.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 13:43   #2
Stras
Quiet Professional

Before my time, but we lived it on the MAROPS team in A 1/10 circa 1995-1997. though I've never seen a sail for a Klepper in real life.

We were joking a couple of weeks ago about a former BN CDR who wanted us to mount M249 SAWS on the snowmobiles and tow a Mortar sled with a Mortar system complete and ready to rock n roll. I can only imagine what he'd want me to mount on my Klepper. Probably Claymores and a Bangalore on the front like the CSS Hunley.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 14:01   #3
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

My youngest brother was the XO for the team did the early experimental work. He wrote large portions of the first manual.

SFA M-9545
Old 02-22-2010, 08:27   #4
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

The original training film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049083/
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 19:44   #5
rdret1
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stras View Post
Before my time, but we lived it on the MAROPS team in A 1/10 circa 1995-1997. though I've never seen a sail for a Klepper in real life.
I remember someone mentioning sails for them but never saw anyone try it. Bet capsize drills were a bitch with them.

~ Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

R.D. Winters
rdret1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:59   #6
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

I don't remember sails, but...

To use a sail they'd need to have some sort of keel. what is used in that respect is a box kite. Get the kite aloft and it'll drag you along.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:01   #7
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Used kayaks in the mid 70s at Devens but never saw a manual or a sail/kite.

We just paddled our asses down the Arno and Po rivers in Italy or tried to drown out between the cape and Marth'a Vineyard.

Some were hard palstic and the others were a collapsable cloth/canvas and rubber affair on a wooden frame. Taxing my memory here.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:45   #8
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Your description sounds about right. Bunch of different kayaks were tested including folboats.

It would have been about 1974 or 75 or 76. Lt. Stuart Collier from Alabama. Knowing the Army, the manual would have been draft for a long time. It was an Insertion and Infiltration by Kayak manual as I understand it.

SFA M-9545
Old 04-17-2010, 21:43   #9
rdret1
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
Used kayaks in the mid 70s at Devens but never saw a manual or a sail/kite.

We just paddled our asses down the Arno and Po rivers in Italy or tried to drown out between the cape and Marth'a Vineyard.

Some were hard palstic and the others were a collapsable cloth/canvas and rubber affair on a wooden frame. Taxing my memory here.
In mid '80s, I never saw a plastic one. We had the canvass Kleppers with the wooden ribs. We did take them out in the ocean a few times. A few of us almost got clobbered when we loaded on a landing craft in medium swells during MAROPS at Va. Beach.

R.D. Winters
Old 06-04-2010, 13:06   #10
KW9598
Quiet Professional

kayak

We're using kayaks made in Colorado now, half the price of Klepper with the little glitches gone or improved with materials and design. SFUWO is teaching/using the same.

Amat victoria curam
KW9598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 19:22   #11
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW9598 View Post
We're using kayaks made in Colorado now, half the price of Klepper with the little glitches gone or improved with materials and design. SFUWO is teaching/using the same.
It's the Long Haul Commando built by Mark Eckert. Those of you who appreciate them owe ME (and a couple of other guys ) a lot of beer. The rest of you can go back to playing with RB-7s and the "also rans" e.g. FOLBOTs and Klepper Arieus IIs. Mark is good people; as long as you maintain the kayaks and keep in contact with him, you guys will be using them forever. (Or until the "powers that be" decide eight years of desert ops means we don't need MAROPs any more . P.S. - When that happens, let me know so I can be waiting at DRMO when you turn them in!)
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:39   #12
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
It's the Long Haul Commando built by Mark Eckert. Those of you who appreciate them owe ME (and a couple of other guys ) a lot of beer. The rest of you can go back to playing with RB-7s and the "also rans" e.g. FOLBOTs and Klepper Arieus IIs. Mark is good people; as long as you maintain the kayaks and keep in contact with him, you guys will be using them forever. (Or until the "powers that be" decide eight years of desert ops means we don't need MAROPs any more . P.S. - When that happens, let me know so I can be waiting at DRMO when you turn them in!)
You said kayak and RB7 in the same breath! You should be Hoss whipped!!!

RB7 is the true FLRB.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 21:49   #13
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
You said kayak and RB7 in the same breath! You should be Hoss whipped!!!

RB7 is the true FLRB.
Roger that - as in "F'ed up LRB"! The only thing they were ever good for was dogging pre-SCUBA students for PT. (And locking out of Diesel Subs - another less than brilliant idea if I do say so myself.) If I'm forced to motivate with paddles, I'll take a kayak every time.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 16:23   #14
rdret1
Quiet Professional

I visited the Long Haul web site. Those are some really nice boats. I wouldn't mind picking one up myself.

R.D. Winters
Old 07-26-2010, 07:32   #15
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Went down to Alabama for a "reunion" with my brothers. Stuart had this picture of the ODA with their kayaks. In the picture from left to right.

Quote:
1Lt Stuart Collier, Forget, Forget, Capt Morgan, SFC Hughes, SFC Norville, Forget, Forget, Forget, SSG Anderson, Forget
Notice the high tech white water helmets!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6731_100532783296962_100000207212275_14718_2007262_n.jpg (76.0 KB, 89 views)

SFA M-9545