Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 01-16-2010, 16:53   #1
olhamada
Guerrilla

Medical Team for Haiti

I've just been asked to help pull together a medical team for Haiti.

What I'm trying to do in the next few hours is compile a list of medical equipment that an anonymous company has agreed to supply within 24 - 48 hours.

What would you recommend we take? Infil is on 2 single engine Piper aircraft with a payload of 700 kg each landing 50 km south of Port a Prince on a short hard dirt runway. One will carry personnel, the other will carry supplies and equipment.
"And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom?"- Braveheart

de Oppresso Liber
olhamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 17:02   #2
frostfire
Area Commander

Are security and plans for contingency in place?

Sorry I'm not contributing, but I'm concerned over your and the other personnel safety.

This might be redundant, but when I volunteered with medshare, I was told medical mission can get supply there for free or very low cost
http://www.medshare.org/files/blog/f...20Supplies.pdf

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 17:47   #3
olhamada
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
Are security and plans for contingency in place?

Sorry I'm not contributing, but I'm concerned over your and the other personnel safety.

This might be redundant, but when I volunteered with medshare, I was told medical mission can get supply there for free or very low cost
http://www.medshare.org/files/blog/f...20Supplies.pdf
Thanks frostfire.

Re safety/security - Does a cat have climbing gear? No definitive plans yet, but in process. Mostly civilian team with no SA or experience in potentially hostile environments.
"And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom?"- Braveheart

de Oppresso Liber
olhamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 18:08   #4
Books
Quiet Professional

First, I would bring a gun. Actually, I would bring several guns and an understanding that you may find yourself on the other side of a mob with machetes who think you have something worth stealing.

I would think in terms of nuts and bolts. People who have been insulin dependent are screwed (no electricity to refrigerate insulin). Don't worry too much about the chronically ill. They'll be dead soon enough. Focus on those who were healthy prior to being wounded and whom you believe you can return to health.

I would pack a smattering of broad spectrum antibiotics to cover those who are allergic to one or another. I would have plenty of anti-diarrheals. I would pack water disinfectants (bleach would work, as would Iodine). I would pack splinting and bandaging materials, surgical debriedment supplies since you're going to probably have wounds which haven't been treated and have now festered and I would be prepared to amputate a few limbs from gangrenous wounds. You'll need fluids for irrigation. . . heavy to bring, but boiled salted water is better than nothing. . . Of course I would bring IV fluids and requisite catheters/drip sets.

I'm trying to gin up a mission to go as well so god speed and stay safe.

Books

- Jack Moroney
Old 01-16-2010, 20:02   #5
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Lots of leather gloves. Sounds funny but the number one thing they needed during the Mexico quake years ago was leather gloves.

Lots of laytex gloves. High HIV rate there.

Lots of soap. The basics will not be there.

Anti biotics for treatment of dynentary and other infections.

some way to treat your water. several high quality filters are needed. The basics will not be there.

Chlorene bleach. A 10% solution for clean up will kill all bad bugs. Note, is only good for 24 hours. you need to mix a new batch after that.

As said above take something to protect yourself. i prefer a 12 gauge shotgun but to each their own. i would take a selection of stuff if it were me.

I am sure others will give you more info on more medical equiptment like sutures etc etc. I am sure the basics are needed like bandages, kerelex etc etc. Oh yea, take some picks and shovels to bury the dead. Some diesel to burn the bodies if you cant bury them .
Good list.

In fact the 1st thing I was gong to say is GLOVES.
Leather gloves and PPE gloves. I would avoid Latex gloves for the simple fact some people are allergic to latex. So just the standard PPE gloves, like found in any ED/ER, is the way to go.

Aside from any disinfectant, bring plenty of "Cavicide" wipes. To clean equipment.

Masks. Simple ones and also some N-95 masks. Smells and "Nasty bugs" (ie Virus') are going to be high.

Vicks vapor rub, for placing under your nostrils, to mask the "smell" of bodies.

Tape. Duct tape (100 mph), cotton tape, IV tape, ect. You'd be amazed at how much tape it used in a emergency medical environment.

Pens, pens, and more pens. Also, plenty of "Sharpie" pens, in various colors.

Just a few things off the top of my head. Hope it helps. As I think of more I'll post them.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 22:19   #6
olddoc
Asset

Malaria prophylaxis, mosquito net, will for all members. I would not go without military security. In 1-2 weeks the lid might come off.
Good luck.
olddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 00:19   #7
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books View Post
First, I would bring a gun. Actually, I would bring several guns and an understanding that you may find yourself on the other side of a mob with machetes who think you have something worth stealing.
I agree on that. For Operation Uphold Democracy in 1994, our NG SF company got mobilzied for that. One 18B on one of the teams had to shoot an armed combatant during an attempted looting. I actually talked to the 18B a few years ago about his shooting, I was at a cop event and the 18B was there due to his brother in law being a cop in my dept.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 00:50   #8
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
I already heard reports of roving gangs of people with machetti's I am sure the media is keeping that quiet.
FWIW, the MSM media reports I'm seeing are pushing the 'break down into chaos' story line.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:50   #9
wet dog

Go with your head on right, game face, and the ability to see yourself through.

Be aware, you might have to push back, remember women and children first, don't trust anyone to do your thinking for you, question everything.

Good luck,

WD
Old 01-17-2010, 05:25   #10
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Let me add a few thoughts

1)most of your team should speak french, creo is all you get in the back country

2)shelter, you need some large tents and tarps to set up triage, pre-evac paient staging, PLUS you need somewhere to sleep. Assume there will be other quakes and ALL structures are un-usable. THEY HAVE NO BUILDING CODES...

3)knee pads, uniforms, boots, you will not have beds for patients, your team will be kneeling in rubble to admin, they will become injured if not properly protected.

4)designated security, most of your team will be very loving and caring,, team members will not react to machetes well. They will need protection.

5)communication, Sat-phones, batteries, small 2000-3000 watt gas or multi-fuel generator, solar power chargers

6)established egress plan if the SHTF... Make sure your back-up(UN peace keepers, or whoever) are in the loop and fully prepared to support you... ALSO committed to DAILY re-supply and medivac for the seriously injured..

7)Constantia wire to establish a compound..

8)stab vests/jackets for your team, anything else will be to heavy and obvious.

Good Luck..

My $00.0002

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:04   #11
Fiercely Loyal
Guerrilla

Deleted

Last edited by Fiercely Loyal; 08-08-2013 at 20:01.
Fiercely Loyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:10   #12
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
You need to take this as a normal reaction by UN peace keepers.

Be Very careful. They can and will leave you hanging..

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americ...ex.html?hpt=T2

Quote:
Security concerns cause doctors to leave hospital, quake victims
January 16, 2010 6:33 p.m. EST Port-au-Prince, Haiti (CNN) -- Earthquake victims, writhing in pain and grasping at life, watched doctors and nurses walk away from a field hospital Friday night after a Belgian medical team evacuated the area, saying it was concerned about security.

The decision left CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Sanjay Gupta as the only doctor at the hospital to get the patients through the night.

CNN initially reported, based on conversations with some of the doctors, that the United Nations ordered the Belgian First Aid and Support Team to evacuate. However, Belgian Chief Coordinator Geert Gijs, a doctor who was at the hospital with 60 Belgian medical personnel, said it was his decision to pull the team out for the night.

Gijs said he requested U.N. security personnel to staff the hospital overnight, but was told that peacekeepers would only be able to evacuate the team. He said it was a "tough decision" but that he accepted the U.N. offer to evacuate after a Canadian medical team, also at the hospital with Canadian security officers, left the site Friday afternoon. The Belgian team returned Saturday morning.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:33   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I remember an 18 got killed there doing a raid. I wonder who come up with the bright idea of one A team= a local police Dept. I guess somebody had to do it.
Greg Cardott. He was not doing a raid, he was manning a checkpoint.

He was a Q Course classmate of mine.

RIP, brother.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:00   #14
Mr Furious
Quiet Professional

wpns

Quite a few folks mention wpns...I'd like to posit - what are the current policies/legal aspects of toting a gun as a civilian/contractor there, and what are the consequences if you actually use it in self defense?

I know it's absolute chaos and I know security is a concern, but need to seriously think that through and look into it before going guns up and jumping on a private flight there.

During Uphold Democracy we had an abundace of non-lethal (pepper spray) and used the heck out of it when warranted. After a while the street savy Haitians started to file formal complaints that would come rolling down. Not sure what the landscape is like today in a civilian capacity going to lend aid.
Mr Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:10   #15
Big Money
Asset

Take a crash course in Creole. It is quite easy, especially if you have any previous language training. I had a fella tell me one time "the country speaks French, but the people speak Creole- if you want to talk to me, speak my language". That was pivitol. On another occasion, I was listening to two Jaques who were planning my demise. They didn't know the white guy could understand them. I essentially told them "if you mess with me, I'll crack your skulls". Their mouths dropped in disbelief that "the blanc" spoke Creole. They were my new best friend and busted their asses to help me out all day. Take home message is that if you can communicate and build rapport, SOME people, just like people in any other country, will do what they can to help and support you.

Do not assume machetes, large knives, clubs, etc are always weapons. If you can speak Creole and ask "why do you have that", alot of situations can be defused before they even become a situation. However, it would seem that a desperate population has become even more desperate. Do not judge good people who do bad things in bad times. If my family was dying, I would take extreme measures to save them. But from the other perspective, if clubbing an angry woman meant I could continue to save a dozen others, than I will take her out and treat her injuries once I have the opportunity. I am thinking the situation is going to deteriorate quickly so defensive positions, concertina, panic-rooms, "the Alamo", and a fast boat with the engine idling have to be considered in the plan- you can not hold off 100,000's starving, dying people with good intentions, even if you team is armed.

In the meantime:

You should assume you will have NO access to water. Period. The water off the coast along PAP is undoubtedly so toxic from unregulated pollutants, sewage, and runoff that even under normal conditions that no amount of treatment will make it safe to drink. Local bottled water doesn't mean it's necessarily any better, even in the best circumstances.

I would guess that latex gloves under leather gloves would be the way to go in many instances. Infectious disease will be more than rampant. I would be less concerned about latex allergies than malaria, anthrax, tetnus, HIV, TB, etc.

Keep your geographical location in mind: if you get rains or storms, there will be flooding, landslides, etc- plus all the death and debris now flowing. You will not want to be looking for the high ground after the fact.

Assume you are on your own: any agency, organization, etc will be maxed out on their own problems. UN? Forgetaboutit.

Good luck to all.