Old 01-06-2010, 10:53   #1
gtcrispy
Quiet Professional

Master SGT (Ret.) Dane Clark Paresi

http://www.thenewstribune.com/293/st...k=omni_popular

DuPont man among seven killed in Afghan suicide attack

Matt Misterek; The News Tribune
Published: 01/05/10 7:28 pm | Updated: 01/05/10 8:06 pm

A DuPont resident and former Fort Lewis soldier was one of seven U.S. intelligence agents killed by a suicide bomber who infiltrated a base in Afghanistan last week, his widow said Tuesday.

Dane Clark Paresi, a retired Army master sergeant, died Dec. 30 in the blast at a forward military base in Khost province, on the restive Afghanistan-Pakistan border. Paresi, 46, retired from 1st Special Forces Group at Fort Lewis in 2008, capping 27 years in the Army, and was working as a contractor alongside CIA employees when he was killed, according to family and friends.

Paresi’s family has made its home in DuPont since 2005. The Portland native is survived by his wife, MindyLou, and daughters Alexandra, 24, and Santina, 9, as well as his parents and five siblings.

MindyLou Paresi was at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware Tuesday after meeting the flag-draped coffins of her husband and the other fallen operatives. A small private ceremony Monday was attended by CIA Director Leon Panetta, other agency and national security officials, and friends and family.

“We are devastated, we are broken, but we are also very proud of him,” MindyLou Paresi said in a phone interview. “All of the agents are national heroes because they were there to do a job, a very large job. What it was I do not know exactly, but they were heroes fighting the war against terror.”

Official details of the suicide attack are sketchy, and the incident is under investigation. But counterterrorism officials in the Middle East said Tuesday the bomber, a Jordanian, was a suspected double agent.

Jordan’s intelligence directorate, which also lost an operative in the attack, reportedly believed it had recruited the physician-turned-militant to help track down al-Qaida’s No. 2 leader, Ayman al-Zawahri. The would-be informant came to the base Dec. 30 on urgent business, according to wire service reports.

It was the deadliest single attack on U.S. intelligence personnel in decades.

MindyLou Paresi said she was told her husband was at the meeting inside the military compound and suspected something was wrong. When he approached, the informant detonated his explosives. She said her husband was right next to the bomber, the closest person to the blast.

“He saved many people, unfortunately seven of them did die,” she said, noting that others were wounded. “It could have been worse.”

She credited her husband’s employer, Xe Services (formerly Blackwater), for keeping her informed and taking care of the family’s emotional, financial and other needs over the last several days.

One of Dane Paresi’s closest friends was Sgt. Jeff Hall. They were different ages, different ranks and different specialties at Fort Lewis – Paresi was Special Forces, Hall was a MP with the 66th Military Police Company – but they both liked to fish, camp and smoke cigars on the front porch.

Their wives and kids knew each other before the fathers did.

“The first time I was officially introduced to him, I had just gotten back from Afghanistan,” recalled Hall, 38. “He drove up with a big smile on his face and parked in my front yard.”

Their wives were friends from working together at Chloe Clark Elementary School in DuPont. Their daughters were friends from school and skated together. Paresi made sure those bonds were protected.

“He was like a dad to my kids when I was deployed,” said Hall, who was reassigned to Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., in late 2008.

Paresi received multiple awards and medals, including several bronze service stars, for overseas tours in Mauritania, Philippines, Iraq, Bosnia, Rwanda, Southeast Asia, Kenya and Afghanistan.

A wake is set for 6 to 9 p.m. Friday at Evergreen Memorial Gardens in Vancouver, followed by services at 10 a.m. Saturday, and full military honors and burial at Willamette National Cemetery in Portland.

Paresi’s death adds to the list of Northwesterners to die trying to secure Afghanistan since Sept. 11, 2001. A total of 61 service members from Washington state or assigned from military installations around the state have died there – 36 in the last year alone, mostly from Fort Lewis.

In a way, Paresi brings the sacrifice full circle. The explosion that killed him took place at Forward Operating Base Chapman, named for Sgt. 1st Class Nathan Chapman of Puyallup. He died on Jan. 4, 2002 – the war’s first casualty – and also belonged to 1st Special Forces Group.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Matt Misterek:253-597-8472
matt.misterek@thenewstribune.com
gtcrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:32   #2
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Rest In God's Peace MSGT Paresi!!

Thank you for your service, and your sacrifice!!

May all who sacrificed their lives that day rest in God's Peace!!
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:55   #3
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Rest in Peace, Warrior ........................

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:03   #4
wet dog

Rest in Peace warrior.

I had the good fortune to work with Dane Paresi last year at Ft. Lewis, WA.

He will be missed by many.

Rest well.

Last edited by wet dog; 01-12-2010 at 17:12.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:12   #5
Tatonka316
Gold Star Father

Rest in Peace, MSG! Thank you for your service to our country and OUR Special Forces family. You will always be missed and NEVER forgotten.

molon labe
Tatonka316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:24   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
RIP MSG Paresi, Vaya con Dios..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 13:44   #7
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace.
Old 01-06-2010, 16:02   #8
MK262
Auxiliary

Rest in Peace sir.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice.
Old 01-06-2010, 16:29   #9
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace Brother.......
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 17:22   #10
csquare
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace Dane. Prayers go out to your family
I do not regret a day I spent in uniform—I’m immensely proud of my service. If I’ve learned anything, I’ve learned what a truly remarkable thing it is to be a combat veteran. Now I want to live an exceptional life for those who never made it home.
csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 17:29   #11
Stras
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace Brother

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 18:22   #12
head
Quiet Professional

Rest in peace, MSG. Prayers for your family.
Old 01-06-2010, 18:50   #13
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

RIP brother.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 18:54   #14
jbour13
Area Commander

RIP MSG Paresi

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 20:18   #15
B36reconman
Quiet Professional

RIP MSG

"A special breed of man will sacrifice everything for the security and freedom of so many unthankful others"

Ron Piper
B36reconman is offline   Reply With Quote