Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 10-17-2009, 18:33   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Clamping Bleeders

What's the thinking on this now? Are they still teaching medics to tie them off?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 18:58   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I just sent your question to a few trauma surgeons.
Old 10-17-2009, 19:00   #3
Onward
Asset

NDD,

I went through 68W AIT a little less than a year ago, and nothing was taught about this. Our training on bleeding control pretty much focused on Combat Gauze as a hemostatic agent, with tourniquets and pressure dressings as appropriate. Whether or not clamping is covered in OEMS or any of those high speed classes, i don't know, as I haven't had the chance to attend yet.

I apologize if you were referring to the 18D or W1 course specifically, in which case I am hopelessly out of place here; back to lurking in my lane!
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 19:19   #4
rwd
Asset

(As of last year in the 18D course)

For an abdominal bleed of the viscera, when we're able to locate and identify, we're still taught to clamp and ligate. That was the only wound where we used this procedure, however.
rwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 20:03   #5
adal
Quiet Professional

NDD,
I was always taught to clamp and ligate. When I became a civvie and had to go through a civvie refresher course, I yelled "clamp and ligate" to annoy my instructor. Civvies are not taught this.
Now. PHTLS and ATLS are just getting on board with the whole "tourniquet first" idea. Again in my refresher (5years ago) I stated for a serious bleed I would either 1)clamp and ligate or 2) tourniquet. This was not looked upon favorablly. Now civvies are moving towards "tourniquet first" due to ongoing battlefield use.
I don't think civvies will ever move to clamp and ligate due to liabilty, but I may possibly still carry my hemostats. Old habits and all.
Old 10-22-2009, 21:49   #6
JEVapa
Quiet Professional

I'll bring it up to my buddy over at SOMTC. Situation dictates I still believe. You won't do it during TCCC, but in your clinic or UW hospital setup you might have to.
JEVapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 21:57   #7
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

NDD:

As rwd previously stated, it is still being taught for mesenteric bleeders where other means of hem control arent adequate. It is a part of TCCC/trauma lanes, or was when I graduated a couple years ago.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 16:31   #8
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Field or operating room, emergency department....where?
Clamp with what: hemostat, vascular clamp, suture ligation?
Peripheral vessel or internal?

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 18:40   #9
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
Field or operating room, emergency department....where?
Clamp with what: hemostat, vascular clamp, suture ligation?
Peripheral vessel or internal?

ss
In the field with hemostats to start then suture ligation as soon as possible on visceral bleeders. Clamping peripherals has been discussed but I have never utilized that technique. Instead, used TQ's or packing -mostly on groin/axial bleeders.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 10-23-2009 at 18:44.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 16:52   #10
whocares175
Quiet Professional

i figure considering i just got done with TSS friday and start TCCC tuesday i've probably got the most current info on what JSOMTC is teaching. We are still taught clamp and ligate for mesentery bleeds, also for situations when we may have to hold on to a casualty for extended periods of time and we need to attempt to reduce a tourniquet it's "advised" to clamp and ligate bleeders to get all bleeding under control (although this is not actually demonstrated formally for extremity bleeds). hope this answers the question.
2008-2011 q course
2011-10th
whocares175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 17:09   #11
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Cool.

"Field or operating room?"

Silly swatsurgeon
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 19:57   #12
whocares175
Quiet Professional

for mesentary bleeds ligate as soon as you have the chance. for extremity bleeds controlled by a tourniquet, when you get the chance. if can't get hemostasis with tq for whatever reason, ligate asap.
2008-2011 q course
2011-10th
Old 04-21-2010, 16:54   #13
Debo
Quiet Professional

They are still teaching it in the SOCM/SFMS course just like the other guys said. Making sure to leave long tails on the ligation so the surgeons can locate them easily during the lap is important they say. In CTM they wanted us to just clamp and dress without the ligation.

D.
Debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:26   #14
Paramedic40
Asset

Conventional 68Ws are not trained to pinch off or ligate anything.
I was trained not to pinch anything off- packing and pressure dressings and tourniquets for positioning.
I personally carry a pair of hemostats for splinters and such, but in all honesty, I don't have confidence in my ability to correctly locate and close a bleeding artery in a relevant amount of time. Until I'm trained on it to my standards (which are at least as high as that of the certifying authority) and I'm certified to perform it, it's not a skill I'm going to use.

There is an exception to this- the off-chance of an umbillical cord. That I know how/where/why to clamp.

Proudly Disgruntled
Nations do not survive by setting examples.
Nations survive by making examples of other nations.
"Man, fuck that!" - Battle Cry of the Pragmatist
Paramedic40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 18:52   #15
whocares175
Quiet Professional

debo, when ligating, yes, leave long tails so the surgeons can find them during exploratory surgery. that is taught in tss however, during ctm we are simply clamping the bleeders off. why instead of ligating i'm assuming is the clock. beyond that i don't know. in a real situation, once i was able to i'd ligate and then unclamp.
paramedic40, clamping bleeders isn't really that hard. i dont know what you do or where you're at but if you can find somone with any experience with it and work in a hospital i'm sure you can learn how very quickly. mesentary arteries can be confusing because they are so many of them but larger arteries are pretty easy to spot. if in doubt, follow the blood. haha. however, i do comend you for not simply trying something you've never done before without someone more experienced to guide you.
2008-2011 q course
2011-10th