Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > And Some Gave All.... > TAPS

Old 09-26-2009, 10:13   #1
18C Dad
Auxiliary

R.I.P Ryan Job - Navy Seal

Gentlemen- I've attached a link from the Seattle Times with the obituary of the sudden passing of Ryan Job, a young man and former SEAL, who grew up in our neighborhood in Issaquah, WA. Ryan's brother Aaron, served with the Marines. The funeral will be in Arizona on Thursday. We won't be able to attend but I was hoping that if there were any members in that area they might consider attending and paying respects to this fine young American. God speed, Ryan.

Mike

Obituary: Ryan Job was a spokesman for wounded veterans
Ryan Job, who grew up in Issaquah, died Thursday morning after major reconstructive surgery in Phoenix. He was 28.
By Lynn Thompson
Seattle Times staff reporter

Blinded by a sniper's bullet in Iraq, Ryan Job retained his characteristic determination and persistence. He climbed Mount Rainier, trained for a triathlon and became a spokesman for an organization that helps wounded veterans transition to civilian life.

"He didn't back down from any challenge," said a friend, Tyler Lein, of Scottsdale, Ariz.

Mr. Job, who grew up in Issaquah, died Thursday morning after major reconstructive surgery at Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix. He was 28.

Mr. Job's younger brother, Aaron, served three tours of duty in Iraq with the Marines. The Seattle Times profiled the Job family during Aaron Job's deployments in 2003 and 2004.

A story on Ryan Job, a former Navy SEAL, reaching the summit of Mount Rainier appeared in July 2008.

The men's mother, Debbie Job, of Issaquah, said her son had taken on the challenge of blindness with the same strength with which he confronted other challenges in his life.

"He was determined not to be a disabled guy," his mother said Friday by phone from Arizona.

Ryan Job underwent an eight-hour surgery Monday to rebuild his face. The recovery seemed to be proceeding smoothly, his mother said, though her son reported some discomfort Wednesday night. A nurse checked on him at 3:30 a.m. Thursday. He was found unresponsive at 5 a.m. She said the hospital had not determined the cause of death.

"It wasn't supposed to happen like this," said Debbie Job. "It's a total shock."

Neighbors of the Job family on the Sammamish Plateau recalled Ryan Job as a strong, physically active young man who had been determined to join the elite Navy special-operations force, despite the grueling training regimen. Mr. Job regularly swam across Beaver Lake a few miles from his home and ran for hours before dawn, said Neil Iovino, a neighbor who watched the Job boys grow up.

"His goal was to be a Navy SEAL and it didn't matter how hard it was," Iovino said.

Ryan Job was born in 1981, the eldest of three children. He graduated from Sammamish High School in 1999 and joined the Navy in 2002. Mutual friends in San Diego, where he trained for the SEALS, introduced him to his future wife, Kelly. The couple married in 2007.

Mr. Job was on patrol in Ramadi, Iraq, in 2006 when a sniper's bullet struck his rifle. Pieces of the shattered weapon tore through his face, destroying one eye and severing the optic nerves of the other.

After his injury, Mr. Job spent time in military hospitals in Maryland, Florida and finally Palo Alto, Calif.

He and Kelly moved to Arizona in 2007 with the help of the Sentinels of Freedom Scholarship Foundation. The California-based organization assists armed-forces veterans severely injured in the line of duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001.

The foundation found a condo for the couple to live in, arranged for furniture and helped Mr. Job enroll in an online college program to complete the business degree he'd begun at the University of Washington.

"He was a great spokesman for the organization," said Lein, whose father, Howard Lein, founded the Arizona chapter of the Sentinels.

A 2007 story in The Arizona Republic quoted Mr. Job as saying he and his wife wanted to return the generosity others had shown them.

"Once I'm back on my feet, we'd like to help the next group of guys make the same transition."

Debbie Job said her daughter-in-law is pregnant with the couple's first child.

Aaron Job works with the Orange County Sheriff's Department and hopes to find a job in the Seattle area, his mother said.

In addition to his mother, wife and brother, Mr. Job is survived by his father, Eric Job, his sister, Kelsie, and his grandmother Barbara McCormick of Sammamish.

Services are planned for Thursday at the Scottsdale, Ariz., Bible Church.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorials be sent to either Camp Patriot, www.camppatriot.org; Sentinels of Freedom, www.sentinelsoffreedom.org; or the Naval Special Warfare Foundation, www.nswfoundation.org.

Lynn Thompson: 206-464-8305 or lthompson@seattletimes.com

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yanjob26m.html

Mike
18C Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:57   #2
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

RIP SEAL

A moving story.

Rest In Peace SEAL!!

Thank you for your service and your sacrifice!!

Prayers out!
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:02   #3
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Rest In Peace and my most sincerest condolences to the family and friends.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:36   #4
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Rest in Peace, SEAL ................

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:31   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
RIP SEAL, Vaya con Dios..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:35   #6
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 13:04   #7
echoes
Area Commander

May you Rest-In-Peace Ryan Job.

You have been and will remain a Hero to those that face the impossible, and try to overcome it.

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 20:42   #8
Mike792
Quiet Professional

Rest In Peace.

Mike
Mike792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 20:50   #9
Rogue
Guerrilla Chief

Rest in Peace

Practice honesty and integrity; rescue the man who has been wronged from the hands of his oppressor; do not exploit the stranger, the orphan, the widow; do no violence; shed no innocent blood in this place. Jer 22:3

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ~ Edmund Burke
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 22:09   #10
Goggles Pizano
Area Commander

In pace requiescat Ryan Job.
You ask; What is our policy? I will say; “It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us: to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy.” You ask; What is our aim? I can answer with one word: Victory—victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.-Winston Churchill
Goggles Pizano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 22:12   #11
FMF DOC
Guerrilla

RIP
Old 09-27-2009, 05:03   #12
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

R.I.P. Ryan Job. Thank You.
Theodore Roosevelt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle
swpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:50   #13
Penn
Area Commander

My sincerest condolences to the family. May God Bless you Chief job and your family.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:34   #14
Abu Jack
Quiet Professional

Rest In Peace
Abu Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:26   #15
The antihero
Guerrilla

I'm saddened by this news. I remember reading the story of this man in Dick Couch's The Sheriff of Ramadi. My sincerest condolences to his family and RIP sir.
The antihero is offline   Reply With Quote