Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 08-26-2009, 12:21   #1
civil
Asset

10th group languages

I will be enlisting with an 18x contract in one year.
I am currently doing the max PT I can to prepare for selection.
I am also doing research to be mentally prepared as well.

I have started studying Farsi and Russian.
I like them both but will only pick one to focus on and take the DLPT for.

I very much like the Colorado area and if selected and attached to 10th group it would be a very big plus. I understand it's up to the needs of the Army and I will be grateful just to be selected. I do however wish to increase my chances of being stationed at Ft. Carson.

Which would you recommend I focus on Farsi or Russian?
I am not too familiar with how AOR works and doubt I can find any good info online due to security; I will only focus on studying one and would appreciate any input you can give!

I have been exhausting the search button without much result, perhaps I could get some assistance with my search query if this has been covered?

Cheers,
Civil-
civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:52   #2
Richard
Quiet Professional

This is pretty accurate:

Scroll down to Groups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Army_Special_Forces

Gluck auf!

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 13:45   #3
civil
Asset

Thank you for confirming the Wiki accuracy Richard!

Based on that it appears 5th group covers the Middle East so that would give them Arabic and Farsi (I believe Iran is the major country for Farsi and parts of Afghanistan)

I will focus on finding a language I am interested in that most benefits 10th group. Russian and Hebrew are at the top of my list to research now.
A good friend of mine teaches Hebrew and there are a few temples around I could practice at so that's a benefit.

It would be a real treat to work in Israel, a friend of mine is there right now and having a great time, always wanted to visit as well.

Cheers,
Civil-
Old 08-26-2009, 15:03   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I would stick with Russian.

There is no current requirement for Hebrew for Gentiles.

You need to search and read more.

We are looking for self-starters.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 15:23   #5
Razor
Quiet Professional

Russian may also get you a 5th SFG assignment (think about the -Stans).
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 17:20   #6
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

If you already have native fluency in a language, maintain it. Otherwise concentrate on those things the SFQC won't give you - like motivation and physical conditioning. Read Warrior-Mentor's book and apply the information you find there. He and his co-author did a lot of work to make SF accessable to self-starters. Language requirements are currently in a "state of flux". What you think you know today about requirements is likely to change significantly in the near future. I know whereof I speak (i.e. what I'm talking about!). If you want to do something really useful, improve your command of English. It'll pay greater dividends over the long term and provides the necessary foundation for learning other languages.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:14   #7
civil
Asset

Thank you Reaper, Razor, and Peregrino.

I had found the Wiki page in my research and was unsure of its accuracy.

I have already gathered the materials necessary to obtain a proficiency in Russian, Farsi, Arabic, Hebrew, Hindi and Urdu. Now I am researching to see which is the most beneficial.

I will go pickup an ASVAB book and college grammar book to further study English before I proceed with a foreign language.

Thanks again, now back to searching
Old 08-27-2009, 07:05   #8
Richard
Quiet Professional

You seem a bit confused and overly focused on language skills - understand that although a Group has some regional orientation as a part of its primary area of responsibility, the following also applies:
  • Language is not a guarantee of any particular Group affiliation - MOS needs are trump
  • Groups contain a collection of languages from all over the world for a number of reasons - e.g., Why would the 3rd SFG need - say - Chinese Mandarin speakers? Because there are a lot of Chinese living and working/advising in AFRICOMs AOR.
  • Deployments by ODAs cross regional areas of responsibility PRN - e.g., SWA has been visited by ODAs from 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 10th, 19th, and 20th SFGs ( Did I miss any? )
  • Your penchant and seemingly hyper-focusing on languages might make you a better fit for an MI/SIGINT MOS - think about it
Good luck with your efforts - I hope you get where you need to be.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:19   #9
civil
Asset

Thank you Richard I see your point.

I have already gotten my PT schedule in line and a few other areas so now I put my focus on language and proceeded to learn all I can about the needs and requirements for SFAS and SFQC, upon completion of that I shall move forward to my next step.

I will stick with Farsi (I just like the language) and continue learning everything I can about SF before signing the 18x in 1 year.
*edited from Russian to Farsi, no idea why I put Russian...

I shall leave it up to the DLAB and Uncle Sam's infinite wisdom to place me where needed (I say that like I had a choice )

Hoping for 18c with 10th group, happy with anything!!!

Military Intelligence...Isn't that a contradiction of terms (talk about an old joke)

Cheers,
Civil

P.S I appreciate all the wisdom you guys share!
Next step is the Get Selected book

Last edited by civil; 08-27-2009 at 09:27.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:56   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Farsi is not a 10th Group command language. I can pretty much guarantee that if you tested out for Farsi, you are NOT going to 10th Group.

That is one that will put you in 5th or 3rd, for sure.

You need to listen to what you are being told.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:17   #11
Retread
Asset

Civil:

Our cadre told us that we were all going to learn Arabic. If we sucked we might be able to take French.

Either way, that's a 200m target, and I have more important things to worry about in the meantime.

FWIW.

Last edited by Retread; 08-27-2009 at 12:21.
Retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:26   #12
civil
Asset

Yes sir I have been listening, I apologize if I wasn't clear I will learn Farsi for my own benefit not to test out on.

I will let the DLAB determine which language I will learn for SF to be placed in the group that can utilize me the most.

What I have gotten out of the posts is that the language requirement is not a definite indicator of group assignment and subject to change as the needs change. To better my chances of 10th group Russian is the best option over Farsi or another Middle Eastern language, but it all depends on the needs of the group at the time I go through.

Rather than trying to go through the brick wall I shall go around it and utilize the time and energy in a much more productive manner and in areas that are more pivotal such as conditioning.

To earn a better score on the DLAB I will pick up a grammar book and begin studying. I took a practice test (10 questions) on the Navy website and received 10 out of 10 but imagine the DLAB will be MUCH more difficult and I would like to study to do my best.

Cheers,
Civil

Last edited by civil; 08-27-2009 at 12:40.
Old 08-27-2009, 14:31   #13
SkiBumCFO
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Your penchant and seemingly hyper-focusing on languages might make you a better fit for an MI/SIGINT MOS - think about it
As a former 10th Grouper and current resident of Colorado I can understand your desire to get to 10th but Richard is right if you are that focused on language MI might be the right place. I am both MI and SF and would highly recommend what the Reaper said and focus on what is important for getting qualified. That is the holy grail the rest is secondary. If you like languages that much you will enjoy whatever they stick you in so focus on conditioning, map reading, etc.. there is plenty of info out there to help you prepare. The Army is big enough to jump around later in your service (different Language, MI, etc..)
SkiBumCFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 14:35   #14
civil
Asset

Thank you for the advice SkiBumCFO
Old 08-27-2009, 16:29   #15
VVVV

Since the young man is a year away from signing a contract, I can't see where studying another language can hurt him, because as far as I know learning a new language is good exercise for the brain. Heck he can practice counting in the new language while PT'ing.