Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 08-21-2009, 19:21   #1
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Is Batman a Myth?

Everyone I know has heard the 10th Group Batman story. A former 7th Group guy I work with and I were discussing such important matters and we decided to do an internet search.

We came up with this interesting little tid bit of information...

http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/batman.asp

The 7th Group guy had run into some Brit Royal Marines that had the same story about one of their guys.

I knew a warrant that had been in 10th since the late 70s and swore he knew the guy-gave me a name and post traumatic info on where the guy ended up after being "hummed out" of 10th by the Batman themesong...

Comments?
alfromcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 23:03   #2
mojaveman
Area Commander

Buttman?

You've got a dirty mind Al,

I distinctly remember reading the "Batman" story aloud from a Hustler magazine to a couple of my cohorts in 5th back in the mid 80s.

Please remember that there was no internet back then and we had to find creative ways to amuse ourselves.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:38   #3
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

It actually got a writeup in Hustler? Was it the myth or the 10th Group story?

I am not going to ask about "creative ways to amuse ourselves"...

Does seem kind of suspicious that this has been a Brit story for years and then it pops into SF lore... From Britain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
You've got a dirty mind Al,

I distinctly remember reading the "Batman" story aloud from a Hustler magazine to a couple of my cohorts in 5th back in the mid 80s.

Please remember that there was no internet back then and we had to find creative ways to amuse ourselves.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:57   #4
Stras
Quiet Professional

That was the popular rumor at Airborne School in 89 with one of the seedy motels by Ranger Joes.
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:47   #5
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfromcolorado View Post
It actually got a writeup in Hustler? Was it the myth or the 10th Group story?

I am not going to ask about "creative ways to amuse ourselves"...

Does seem kind of suspicious that this has been a Brit story for years and then it pops into SF lore... From Britain.
The story could have been in one of the many other adult periodicals but I seem to remember it being posted in Hustler because in that era it was one of my favorite publications. The story didn't involve a member of 10th, but instead, some poor English chap.

I can't imagine any good SF trooper letting himself get into a compromising position like that, butt maybe somebody from 1st COSCOM.

It's interesting how some stories proliferate in certian circles of men.

Last edited by mojaveman; 08-23-2009 at 22:08.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 13:51   #6
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

That story was in the whole circle of SF, not just 10th. Back in the mid late 80s it was all over.

"I can't imagine any good SF trooper letting himself get into a compromising position like that..." Yeah, no SF trooper EVER got so drunk that he would get himself in a compromising position...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
The story could have been in one of the many other adult periodicals but I seem to remember it being posted in Hustler because in that era it was one of my favorite publications. The story didn't involve a member of 10th, but instead, some poor English chap.

I can't imagine any good SF trooper letting himself get into a compromising position like that, butt maybe a member of 1st COSCOM.

It's interesting how some stories proliferate in certian circles of men.
Old 08-22-2009, 19:51   #7
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Guys, I was just finishing up a Flintlock stand down in 75, Skullthorpe(sp?) when the story broke that one of the guys got hit by Batman. It was a great conversation but none of us knew who got "tied up" and had the closet door open. John Yancy and I wanted to know who would be so stupid as to admit it.

I have no idea if it was true or just a wild a**ed story. After 45 days in the Black Forest, copious amount of beer, and a fight in the air base class six store within minutes of getting out of the "woods", we really didn't think too much about it after the initial telling of the story, and initial giggle factor.

That was the first time any of us had heard the story and I do not know if that was the first time it was spread. Just that nine of us had ever heard it before and I had the trip to England before and after. The story repeated after that was always about the '75 trip, or hell, maybe 76, it was a while ago.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:31   #8
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

That is the time frame I always heard it had happened... (plus but never minus...)

Anyway, appears to me to be just an extension of an already existing myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
Guys, I was just finishing up a Flintlock stand down in 75, Skullthorpe(sp?) when the story broke that one of the guys got hit by Batman. It was a great conversation but none of us knew who got "tied up" and had the closet door open. John Yancy and I wanted to know who would be so stupid as to admit it.

I have no idea if it was true or just a wild a**ed story. After 45 days in the Black Forest, copious amount of beer, and a fight in the air base class six store within minutes of getting out of the "woods", we really didn't think too much about it after the initial telling of the story, and initial giggle factor.

That was the first time any of us had heard the story and I do not know if that was the first time it was spread. Just that nine of us had ever heard it before and I had the trip to England before and after. The story repeated after that was always about the '75 trip, or hell, maybe 76, it was a while ago.
Old 08-23-2009, 19:47   #9
SkiBumCFO
Quiet Professional

Wow Long Range that brings back some Sculthorpe memories! The story was still alive and well in 81 and 82 and i think by then it was supposed to be one of the guys from the support company and not an SF Qualified guy but its all a bit fuzzy. So many other interesting things happened on that annual exercise that one hardly needed to make up a story to entertain
SkiBumCFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 20:52   #10
alelks
Quiet Professional

The only Batman I remember in the early 80's was the one who was packing parachutes and signing off on the log as "Batman".
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:24   #11
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelks View Post
The only Batman I remember in the early 80's was the one who was packing parachutes and signing off on the log as "Batman".
Did the guy have a British accent?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:27   #12
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumCFO View Post
Wow Long Range that brings back some Sculthorpe memories! The story was still alive and well in 81 and 82 and i think by then it was supposed to be one of the guys from the support company and not an SF Qualified guy but its all a bit fuzzy. So many other interesting things happened on that annual exercise that one hardly needed to make up a story to entertain
People were still relaying that story till the day I retired in 98. The story varied somewhat over time... Imagine that...

And guys in other groups had heard it, probably due to the fact all the schools were at Bragg.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:39   #13
ODA 226
Quiet Professional

As I recall, it supposedly happened to a certain MSG that worked in Group HQ and who had an identical twin brother. I think I remember the name of the guy but won't reveal it here.

I think Caviani and Fitzwater may remember the name also.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:25   #14
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Well that would be second Bn and that would explain it all.

Sorry, could not resist.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:54   #15
ODA 226
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
Well that would be second Bn and that would explain it all.

Sorry, could not resist.
And Yancy was my first Team Sergeant BTW... I'm positive of the name. The victim had a twin brother that was also in the 10th Group. You, being another "oldtimer" might be able to remember the name.