Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 07-11-2004, 17:03   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

NAFTA Stick

What about NAFTA? Good? bad?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 17:17   #2
Sdiver
Area Commander

For the Entertainment Bussiness it SUCKS. More and more work is going North of the border. One of course is cost. It's cheaper to film in Canada. You can take a 40 million dollar pic that's made here in the PNW and go up to Vancouver and make it for 28 million (US).

Sure it's a bussiness and it all revoles around the dollars and cents, but what hurts the people that work here in the States is the fact WE can't go over the Border to work. Only those in "Key" positions, (ie: Directors, Actors, DP's [Director of Photography] 1st AD's and other "Key" people), even then, the Canadain Flim Commission will want that project to use as many Canadaians as possible in those positions. But the Canucks can come down here and work on a project that was filmed up in Canada and then come down here to do some pick up shots. Then there is NO TARRIFF on the film going back over the Border into Toronto to be proccessed and developed, then released out of Toronto instead of L.A.

So for me, NAFTA is a mistake.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 17:22   #3
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I was thinking more strategically. LOL
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-11-2004, 17:29   #4
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I was thinking more strategically. LOL
Oh Okay....sorry.

But I still don't like it....NAFTA that is.
Old 07-11-2004, 18:35   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

If the LATAM economies weren't terminally depressed, it would be a much more symbiotic relationship for the US.

I suspect that we probably import at least three or four times more from LATAM than they import from us, particularly with oil imports included.

Canada is our largest trading partner, but it seems to be much more of a two-way street with them.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 18:51   #6
myclearcreek
Guerrilla

Living near the NAFTA highway , there is regular discussion in this area. Most I have listened to think NAFTA benefits LATAM receives the bulk of the benefit currently, and that it will be decades before it approaches a two-way benefit. That seems to be accurate to date.
myclearcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 18:59   #7
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I like it. But I will concede that I have not studied the results at all since it was enacted. I just like free trade generally speaking.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 19:37   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I looked for results this afternoon. Everything I could find was spun one way or the other.

Reaper, I have no doubt it has benefited Mexico more than the US, but that may not be such a bad thing in the long run for other reasons.

Canada appears to be the biggest beneficiary from what little I could find. Of course the corporations are making out like bandits because of lower per worker costs.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-11-2004, 20:07   #9
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Reaper, I have no doubt it has benefited Mexico more than the US, but that may not be such a bad thing in the long run for other reasons.
You say this only because you are focused on production rather than consumption. If we are buying their stuff, it's because we want to. It means we are happy doing it. As consumers, that is.
Old 07-11-2004, 20:10   #10
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

True enough I guess.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-11-2004, 20:21   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The biggest export of Mexico right now is Mexicans.

The reason Mexicans come here illegally is not the cuisine, it is the jobs and money.

The quicker we can make Mexico a place where people can be employed at a decent wage, the sooner they will quit coming here illegally. We don't want to stop the immigration, as it would be bad for both countries, just reduce it to manageable numbers.

The rationale for crossing will largely disappear, and both nations will be better.

Of course, there is probably sufficient wealth in Mexico to create that situation right now, but it is not equitably distributed. The beauty of the illegals is that they generally send the money home to their families, who spend it and energize the domestic Mexican economy.

I suspect that the NAFTA income is not disseminated at quite as low a level, but it does provide significant domestic employment and income as companies seek lower wage laborers.

Just my .02.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 07-11-2004, 20:23   #12
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Pretty much my thinking as well.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 07-11-2004, 20:25   #13
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Of course, there is probably sufficient wealth in Mexico to create that situation right now, but it is not equitably distributed.
You made me a bit nervous with that one, TR! LOL
Old 07-11-2004, 20:30   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
You made me a bit nervous with that one, TR! LOL
What do you think happens to the billions in oil PEMEX produces every year?

More specifically, look at how long before Fox the previous party had been in power, and how wealth in Mexico is distributed.

We don't want another Revolution, but they better realize the nature of the powder keg they are sitting on.

If we really closed the border, IMHO, Mexico would have a full fledged insurgency again within a year, and would depose their government and the wealthy within 36 months.

TR

Old 07-11-2004, 20:42   #15
Sdiver
Area Commander

TR....if the above senerio were to play out, could you see the US getting involved, militarily?

Just thinking waaaay outside the box here, but I think that the three countries become one....The United States of North America, with one currency. Any thoughts?