Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 07-23-2009, 22:01   #1
PSM
Area Commander

Is one's blood type a national secret now?

What a fuster cluck!

My son just got back from his first RSP drill weekend with the CONG. Before he left Denver they asked him for his blood type. He didn't know it. We don't know it. His doctor doesn't know it...and they don't do blood typing.

He needs the info tomorrow (he just got home last night). I suggested that he donate blood and ask the Red Cross what his type is. RC said that they could do that but he could not donate until Monday.

So he called an Urgent Care shop and they said that they could do it but that insurance wouldn't pay for it. He said that that was not a problem and went there. BUT, they wouldn't take him unless he had proof of insurance! So he drives to our house to get his insurance card and goes back to the vampires.

Blood taken; results tomorrow.

That's all fine and dandy...BUT, they drew blood from him at MEPS last month. Don't they type it? Are they going to just believe whatever the recruit says?

BTW, his full SSN is on the back of his ID card.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 07-23-2009 at 22:03.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 22:09   #2
tcush
Asset

Re: MEPS

At MEPS I believe they simply screen the blood for HIV to determine eligibility to enlist.
tcush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 22:15   #3
TheShootist
SF Candidate

FWIW- It's not mission critical. Once he gets to BCT, they'll have him a brand new set of dog tags with the correct blood type on them derived from a blood test at the reception station. At the RSP it's just convenience if you knew your blood type.
TheShootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:15   #4
Pete S
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcush View Post
At MEPS I believe they simply screen the blood for HIV to determine eligibility to enlist.
They test for all blood borne pathogens in addition to typing it at MEPS.
Pete S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:51   #5
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Deep breath, relax, Blood Type is not that big of a deal - even if you need blood.
It may seem catastrophic on your end, but it is hardly worth the notice in the big picture.
It'll be OK.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:24   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

If the Army wants it, they will get it.

No need for him to take exceptional measures to meet a service need.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:20   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
BTW, his full SSN is on the back of his ID card.

Pat
And our SSN is also on our dog tags. If you allow an individual to get close enough to read them without your consent that's how we say on you.

Some things are not worth fretting over.

Did you sign up with your son? If not it might be time to allow him to step out from behind your apron strings and do things on his own.

Team Sergeant
Old 07-24-2009, 09:48   #8
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
And our SSN is also on our dog tags. If you allow an individual to get close enough to read them without your consent that's how we say on you.

Some things are not worth fretting over.

Did you sign up with your son? If not it might be time to allow him to step out from behind your apron strings and do things on his own.

Team Sergeant
My concern wasn’t on the military side, it’s that when the call goes out to the general public for specific donors and the Red Cross laments the lack of response, perhaps it’s because no one knows their blood type any more. It would seem to fall under the “Be Prepared” label.

I was on the front end of the SSN issue. My dog tags have both my original serial number and SSN on them. (And I can still rattle off the first as easily as the second. )

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote