Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Professional Soldiers ® "Hall of Shame" > "Hall of Shame Inductees"

Old 07-09-2009, 16:11   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr

Derrell Gardner

Let me start by saying "thank you" to the people of Ft Myers for encouraging me to campaign for Mayor.
I am happily married with two small, beautiful children. I have been working and living in Ft. Myers for almost 12 years and can see the real potential of our city from a family and working man's point of view.

I graduated from Miami's Southridge Senior High in 1982. I then went into the U.S. Army for six years where I served in Special Forces. Mylast duty station was at the J.F.K Center at Ft. Bragg, N.C.After serving my country, I wanted to see more of the country and spent time in MO, TX, TN and then returned home to Florida. Of all the skills I learned, my custom made furniture business, which I started in 1987, was my favorite and was the most universally accepted. When I moved to Ft. Myers in 1997, I was quickly able to earn a living with it. After all, I had been mentored by my Grandfather and father since I was five.
However, my business, like so many others, has had to adapt with thechanges thrown at it over the years. While offering beautiful furniture, I found a need for appliances and other home improvement items so I started that business as well. Eventually, I opened a thrift shop on Hansen St. where folks could come and browse. Since I now had a supply of building material, I began to rehab homes in our neighborhood that had fallen into disrepair. After all, I am a carpenter by trade. While rehabing homes, I was brought face to face with many of the problems plaguing city government today. I ran up against obstacles in almost every department.
Some of which were so silly I felt that they certainly could be handled better.
While talking to folks, I discovered many others had the same problems.
As I complained, people began to suggest that I run for office or at least volunteer for something like the Planning Board. I am currently a member of the Planning Board and, as such, have seen even more areas that need improvement.This has all led to my candidacy for Mayor. I have talked with everyone I can find who will talk to me about what issues they are faced with and I am convinced that I am the person to take these problems head-on. As is more than evident that I am not an attorney or a banker.
Rather, I am a hard working, practical and energetic businessman. I believe government is for the safety and well being of everyone in the community. Our tax dollars should be spent for everyone's betterment so all can enjoy living in the greatest country in the world. In order to earn that, we all must work together!
I love heart fort ft myers

Derrell Gardner '09

http://derrellgardner.com/about.html
Old 07-09-2009, 16:15   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Derrell Gardner

Derrell Gardner is running for mayor of Ft Myers, Fl.

After reading the above, posted on Derrell Gardner's website do you think Derrell Gardner might have actually served six years in Special Forces????

http://derrellgardner.com/about.html

And guess who's Special Forces Qualification class Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr would have been in? Yup, none other than mine.....

Again, after reading from "his" website, do you think Derrell Gardner served six years in Special Forces?
Old 07-09-2009, 16:31   #3
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Has anyone contacted SFA to see if he's at least a member? I'd start there first....If he is, than that should tell us something,but 6 years means he went from basic to jump school and than directly to SFQC.....They didn't have an 18X program in 1982 did they?

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 16:34   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
Has anyone contacted SFA to see if he's at least a member? I'd start there first....If he is, than that should tell us something,but 6 years means he went from basic to jump school and than directly to SFQC.....They didn't have an 18X program in 1982 did they?

Big Teddy
Big Teddy, I already know the answer......
I just want to know what you think from his website.....
Old 07-09-2009, 16:54   #5
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

I would say that from his statement below he was in SF and his last assignment was at SWC. Not much Team time with 6 years in the army. Must have been an SF Baby from this......

Quote:
I then went into the U.S. Army for six years where I served in Special Forces. My last duty station was at the J.F.K Center at Ft. Bragg, N.C.
Just my 2 cents from a superficial look......

There must be something more to this I bet.....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 17:02   #6
abc_123
Quiet Professional

TS,

I'ts obvious the picture that he is trying to paint from his very short, and to my educated eyeball, a very undistinguished Army interlude (can't really call it a career if he was only in for 6 years now can I?).

The story that he is making it easy for readers to "assume" is:

1. He is Special Forces qualified
2. He served in SF for six years.

His mention of SWC and Ft. Bragg as his "final duty station" is calculated to further the picture that he wants the reader to have.

If pressed on this, he will go into his equally well thought out justifications and "fall back positions"

1. I didin't mean I was in SF for 6 years... I was in the Army for 6 years and I served for part of the time in an SF unit (if at all)
2. I never said I was SF qualified...
3. Etc. etc.

Dirtbag.
Old 07-09-2009, 17:11   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Now the real story:

Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr
PFC/E-3
DOR: 19 Aug 83
Job Skill 11B Infantry
Entered the Military: D.E.P. 03 May 82
Entered Active Duty: 19 Aug 82
School Assignment: OUST 11X (26 Aug 82 to 17 Nov 82) School Assignment:
Airborne Class 10-83 (14 Jan 83 to 04 Feb 83) School Assignment: Special Forces Qualification Course (08 Feb 83 to 23 Jan 84) Last active duty
assignment: Company C, 1st Special Warfare Training Battalion, JFK Special Warfare Center, Fort Bragg, NC Released from Active Duty: 01 Feb
84 (Transferred to the Individual Ready Reserve)
Discharged: 18 Aug 88 (Rank PFC/E-3)

Awards & Decorations
Army Service Ribbon
Parachutist Badge

You SF types please feel free to comment on Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr six years in Special Forces.
Old 07-09-2009, 17:12   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I would say that he is adding 16 months of AD time to 56 months in the Individual Ready Reserve to get six years. Zero team time, and I doubt he even graduated from the SFQC, since he was discharged as a PFC. Probably UCMJed or Chaptered out, could be Med.

Does anyone else count their unmobilized IRR time in their service?

More than a bit of a stretch of an apparently undistinguished career.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 17:18   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Tomorrow Derrell Douglas Gardner Jr will be a "Mayor – Active Candidate" (see below)

http://www.cityftmyers.com/Governmen...ignregulations
Old 07-09-2009, 17:19   #10
Pete
Quiet Professional

Less than 2 years

He has less than two years active duty.

An SF enlistment option would have been at least 3 years - most probably 4.

His "active duty" ended in the SF Schools Battalion. Never served as a Special Forces Soldier.

So something caused an early out - and he ain't talking about it. Says something about the situation and the man.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 17:29   #11
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
So something caused an early out - and he ain't talking about it.
Medical, unsuitability, or pattern of misconduct - I'd wager.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:11   #12
Pete
Quiet Professional

I wonder...

I wonder if any of the other candidates have asked him about his "Special Forces" time and early out?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:27   #13
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
With all these posers out there we should set up a special group for them...
There already is - go to this link and search Phonies & Wannabees.

http://www.pownetwork.org/

Whenever we or anyone uncovers one of these guys, let the Schantags know and they'll check into it and add them to the list. It's worked whenever I sent them info - such as the Gene DeFord case who is listed under the D's in List #2 (Those claiming Medal of Honor, WW II POWs, Korean War POWs, Gulf War POWs, Post War POWs, Civilian POWs, MIAs, KIAs, Other than Vietnam POWs, DSC, DFC, DSM, Purple Heart, Silver Star, Bronze Star, Navy Cross, Air Force Cross, Son Tay Raiders, Navy SEAL, Army Rangers, Pilots, Nurse, Special Forces, Green Berets, Combat Marine Recon, Sniper, Vietnam Helicopter Pilots,
Flying Tigers, Pararescue, Airborne, Tuskegee Airmen, CIA, Phoenix Program, etc) at -

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies1057.htm

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 07-10-2009, 11:35   #14
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
There already is - go to this link and search Phonies & Wannabees.

http://www.pownetwork.org/

Whenever we or anyone uncovers one of these guys, let the Schantags know and they'll check into it and add them to the list. It's worked whenever I sent them info - such as the Gene DeFord case who is listed under the D's in List #2 (Those claiming Medal of Honor, WW II POWs, Korean War POWs, Gulf War POWs, Post War POWs, Civilian POWs, MIAs, KIAs, Other than Vietnam POWs, DSC, DFC, DSM, Purple Heart, Silver Star, Bronze Star, Navy Cross, Air Force Cross, Son Tay Raiders, Navy SEAL, Army Rangers, Pilots, Nurse, Special Forces, Green Berets, Combat Marine Recon, Sniper, Vietnam Helicopter Pilots,
Flying Tigers, Pararescue, Airborne, Tuskegee Airmen, CIA, Phoenix Program, etc) at -

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies1057.htm

Richard's $.02
Thanks Richard, I know I've should have checked this out first..... What is it that that the young people say when they screw up? My bad.....

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:02   #15
Richard
Quiet Professional

Teddy - no screw up - there's so much on the WWW it's difficult to be cognizant of it all.

Richard's $.02