Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Ammo Talk

Old 05-12-2009, 09:03   #1
rocknrolla
Asset

Question Prvi Partizan 5.56

Wondering if anyone has an unbiased review of Prvi Partizan 5.56 M193 55GR? I have a chance to pick up a few thousand rounds on the cheap, and was wondering how this stuff runs. Search has turned up nothing thus far.
rocknrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 17:28   #2
Paslode
Area Commander

Check here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=271478&page=1

I have quite a bit of PPU around in both M193 and M855. It has all gone bang when I have sent it down range. I have used some PPU cases for reloading without any problems.

Last edited by Paslode; 05-12-2009 at 17:33.
Paslode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:20   #3
rocknrolla
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
Check here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=271478&page=1

I have quite a bit of PPU around in both M193 and M855. It has all gone bang when I have sent it down range. I have used some PPU cases for reloading without any problems.
Pasole, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Based on that info, it doesn't look like i will be picking any of this stuff up.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:43   #4
Defender968
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrolla View Post
Pasole, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Based on that info, it doesn't look like i will be picking any of this stuff up.
What do you define as cheap just out of curiosity?
Defender968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 16:03   #5
rocknrolla
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender968 View Post
What do you define as cheap just out of curiosity?
At a local gunstore i could pick up 2,000 rounds for around $700. Based on current prices, and given that it's brass cased, it didn't seem like a bad deal to me. However, after digesting the info in that link on ar15, i don't think saving a hundred bucks or so on ammo is worth ruining my AR.
Old 05-13-2009, 17:49   #6
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrolla View Post
At a local gunstore i could pick up 2,000 rounds for around $700. Based on current prices, and given that it's brass cased, it didn't seem like a bad deal to me. However, after digesting the info in that link on ar15, i don't think saving a hundred bucks or so on ammo is worth ruining my AR.

I believe that depends on whether your deal is steel cased Wolf or brass cased m193 Wolf/Privi.

I have shot the steel cased wolf on a limited basis through my LMT with no problems but it is a bit under powered compared to LC XM193 or PPU M193.

Of those that have had problems, many of those that had problems over there on ARF.com used certain brands of AR, chambers for .223, heavy buffers and cleaning issues. There were also issues with Wolf Steel Cased rounds that had lacquer coating, which is what I have run into with my SW 15R shooting lacquer coated 5.45. The lacquer builds up, I have ejection problems and requires a cleaning to remedy.

The new Wolf Steel Case does not have lacquer coated cases and it has far fewer issues.

The Brass Cased PPU M193 and M855 has performed as well as the LC XM193 for me. MK262 Seconds and my hand loads rule the roost though.

$700 for PPU Brass Cased 5.56 M193 sounds like an OK deal since it is running around $369 per K, but a bit much for steel case.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate if it were a really good deal for the Brass Cased.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:52   #7
DPB
Quiet Professional

I've only shot the M193.

I've chrono'd it out of a 16" barrel, and it runs 3150 +/- very little, very consistently.

I've shot it out of a bolt gun, and it averaged about 2 inches at 200 yds, with some groups being as good as 1.5 inches.

It is as accurate or more so than other ammo out of my ARs.

I've seen several thousand rounds of it go downrange, out of a wide variety of guns (mostly ARs) with no issues.

Keep in mind that this is a limited (in the big picture) number of rounds out of a limited number of guns. The results have been overwhelmingly positive.

The only negative I've ever heard is that it has a thicker jacket than true M193, which causes it not to break apart in ballistics gel, which, in theory, corresponds to meat.

If I could get it at a what I considered a good price, I'd buy all that I could afford.