Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > And Some Gave All.... > In Memory Of

Old 03-15-2009, 17:51   #1
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Exclamation Staff Sgt. Mark M. Maierson

TheDenverChannel.com
U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Mark M. Maierson
POSTED: 12:07 pm MDT March 15, 2009

Littleton Soldier Dies While Training In Fla.
Army To Investigate Death

DENVER -- A 27-year-old Army soldier from Littleton died during a training exercise in Key West Florida, the military said.

Staff Sgt. Mark M. Maierson died during training at the Army's Special Forces Underwater Operations School on Friday.

Maierson was training in the school's pool when he lost consciousness. He was taken to a local hospital and later died, the Army said.

He joined the Army in 2003. Maierson’s military education included numerous Special Forces training courses. His awards included the Bronze Star and a National Defense Service Medal.

His parents live in Littleton.

The Army has begun an investigation of the incident.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news.../detail.html#-
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 17:59   #2
HQ6
Guerrilla

I am so sorry to read this. He and his family are in my prayers.
Old 03-15-2009, 18:03   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
RIP SSG Maierson,
Vaya con Dios

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 18:38   #4
Marvin Blank
Quiet Professional

Fuck...Just, Fuck.

Mark went through language school with me. Great Guy. Just an all around good soldier and good person. Fuck.

I'm really surprised this happened. I was in the last dive school class, and they always have a Doc on the pool dek, with an ambulance, whenever we are doing breath holding stuff.

R.I.P.
"If any pale student glued to his desk here seek an apology for a way of life whose natural fruit is that pallid and emasculate scholarship, of which New England has had too many examples, it will be far better that this sketch had not been written. For the student there is, in its season, no better place than the saddle, and no better companion than the rifle or the oar." - Francis Parkman
Marvin Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 18:41   #5
Alterflow
SF Candidate

R.I.P.
Alterflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 19:41   #6
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Rest in peace brother.

When I was at key West "shallow Water Black out was always a concern. While it does happen in the pool we had always been lucky, but this is a tragedy.
A great Promise lost. RIP
Brother Blitzzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 21:42   #7
bricklayer
SF Candidate

RIP
bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 21:51   #8
Dan
Administrators

http://news.soc.mil/releases/News%20...090315-01.html

Quote:
PRESS RELEASE: Special Forces Soldier dies in training accident

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, Mar. 15, 2009) – Staff Sgt. Mark M.
Maierson

Maierson, 27, died during training at the Army’s Special Forces Underwater Operations School in Key West, Fla., Friday.

While conducting training in the school’s pool, the Soldier lost consciousness. Medical personnel- present during the training- provided immediate treatment and transported the Soldier to the Lower Keys Medical Center, Key West, where he was later pronounced dead.

Maierson, a native of Littleton, Colo., was born Dec. 13, 1981. He volunteered for military service and entered the Army in September 2003 as a Special Forces Trainee. After basic and advanced individual training at Fort Benning, Ga., Maierson was assigned to the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School. He began the Special Forces Qualification Course in 2007, and he earned the coveted “Green Beret” in April 2008. He was then assigned to 3rd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), here, as a Special Forces engineer sergeant.

Maierson’s military education includes the Special Forces Qualification Course, Basic Non-Commissioned Officer’s Course, Warrior Leader’s Course, Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape Course, and the Basic Airborne Course.

His awards and decorations include the Bronze Star Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal with campaign star, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Non-Commissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbon with “2” numeral, Army Service Ribbon, NATO Medal, Combat Infantryman Badge, Parachutist Badge, and the Special Forces Tab.

Staff Sgt. Maierson is survived by his mother Rose, and Father, Mark Maierson, of Littleton, Colo.

The Army has begun an investigation of the incident.
For further information, media should contact the Special Forces Command Public Affairs Office during duty hours at 910-432-4587 or after duty hours at 910-689-6187.

--usasoc--
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maierson.jpg (113.4 KB, 227 views)
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 22:56   #9
dennisw
Area Commander

RIP SSG Maierson
Old 03-16-2009, 06:07   #10
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Rest in Peace Brother....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:24   #11
Rogue
Guerrilla Chief

Rest in Peace

Practice honesty and integrity; rescue the man who has been wronged from the hands of his oppressor; do not exploit the stranger, the orphan, the widow; do no violence; shed no innocent blood in this place. Jer 22:3

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ~ Edmund Burke
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:31   #12
Goggles Pizano
Area Commander

In pace requiescat SSG Maierson.
You ask; What is our policy? I will say; “It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us: to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy.” You ask; What is our aim? I can answer with one word: Victory—victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.-Winston Churchill
Goggles Pizano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:38   #13
csquare
Quiet Professional

RIP

My prayers are with the family......

Rest In Peace Warrior
I do not regret a day I spent in uniform—I’m immensely proud of my service. If I’ve learned anything, I’ve learned what a truly remarkable thing it is to be a combat veteran. Now I want to live an exceptional life for those who never made it home.
csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:04   #14
Razor
Quiet Professional

Rest easy, brother.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:19   #15
Richard
Quiet Professional

Freaky - maybe due to some pre-existing and undiagnosed condition.

Blue skies, gentle breezes, and soft landings at that big A-Camp in the sky, Mark!
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote