Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 06-20-2004, 07:51   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Pot Stirring

Given, the utilization of most of the soldiers in Iraq as infantry or MP type forces, typically patrolling and providing security,and the overutilization, burnout and impending shortage of those forces, at what point would it be approporate to ask the Air Force or Navy (other than the Marines) to provide forces for those missions or divert part of their force structure for that purpose?

There are historical precedents for this, BTW.

Just looking for some thoughts.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 08:08   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I think its a good idea. Spec Ops and Infantry troops don't IMO do a very good job of these types of activities. Base defense is art and science, but these troops get bored and its not what they signed up for. AF is pretty good at guarding fences.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 09:54   #3
Footmobile
Guerrilla

Re: Pot Stirring

I don't know. Can we really send joe shit the sailor/airman to do base security/patrolling? How much and what kind of training do they need? Maybe if it's in the calm areas more geared towards the multinational division run by the Poles and the Brits down south. That's the only place I can see them working. Something like this would be fiercly resisted by the brass I think. What type of units would they come from? Seabees (already alot of them in country)? Air Force Engineer types?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
There are historical precedents for this, BTW.
Which ones?
Footmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 10:00   #4
Footmobile
Guerrilla

On the other hand, if some program like this was put in place, would it be volunteer?

i.e., Seaman Snuffy, the admin clerk aboard the USS Gaylord, is bored in his present duty assignment, and can request to go to Iraq as base secuirty? Who does his job then?
Footmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 10:06   #5
Farmer40
Asset

I'm not current on this, but at one time the USAF had Security Squadrons whose job was to secure airfields, both fence pacing and perimeter patrolling. They even sent a large group of them through Ranger School at one time (had their own class, I believe). If those sorts of units still exist they would be appropriate for some of the security missions fulfilled by Infantry units in the Middle East.
Farmer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 10:07   #6
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Re: Re: Pot Stirring

Quote:
Originally posted by Footmobile
I don't know. Can we really send joe shit the sailor/airman to do base security/patrolling? How much and what kind of training do they need?

Which ones?
I think so, with the right training.

I recently completed a training exercise at Camp Guernsey, WY and in my dealings with their range control personnel learned that the Wyoming NG had already reclassified several units (formerly Artillery) as Military Police. They set up a rapid training program to x-train these folks prior to deployment.

Obviously, there are some issues that would need to be worked out as far as specific tasks to be trained, quality of training managment, and adherence to established standards. Certainly we can take an operating system within a unit, an established chain of command, and train them to complete security forces missions.

My question is, have we aleady exhausted all of our options for using National Guard and Army Reserve forces already trained to do this role?

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 12:17   #7
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

I am no expert on the intricacies of the US Air Force, but I was told by an airman brother-in-law that there are actually more Security Forces personnel in the USAF than there are infantrymen in the Army. Sounded like a bit of an exaggeration to me, but hell, sounds like the perfect folks for the job.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:21   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
an airman brother-in-law
Allow me to express my deepest sympathies in this your time of woe. My condolences to the bride as well.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 06-20-2004, 12:29   #9
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Allow me to express my deepest sympathies in this your time of woe.
Actually, it's really cute. He's my woman's little brother, and he... well, he joined the Air Force. But I get word that he just got busted with one of them naked-type girls hidden in his barracks room. There may be hope for him yet.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:29   #10
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

They are already "retraining" NG units to perform basic infantry missions. The 86th FA from the VTARNG has been retrained for security missions, convoy duty, etc. so it really cannot be that difficult to train AF and Navy folks to do similar operations, especially for point type security or isolated areas such as pipelines rather than wandering around thru the populated areas. I think that Army and USMC folks are better suited for that up close and personal stuff with Iraqi counterparts to help offset language problems and the constant cultural snafus that seem to be a problem.

Jack Moroney
Jack Moroney (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 15:30   #11
SOGvet
Quiet Professional

No time soon...

T, Good question. I don't see it happening in the immediate future. The focus right now is the 30 June handover. It'll be interesting to see what happens after that, but I don't see any major changes in American forces or force structure in the foreseeable future as a result.

Not that a shitload of APs and/or SPs couldn't be brought in to provide some kind of security assitance. But let's be honest.. the Zoomies would claim it's time for 'crew rest' and the swabbies wouldn't want to get their shoes dusty... so I guess security requirements will remain on the shoulders of soldiers and Marines until we hand it off to the 'Racki's...
DOL
//cc
SOGvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 15:45   #12
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

There is an article in a recent stars and stripes about national gaurd troops, giving classes in weapons, and movement and survival to a bunch of airmen, in Iraq. Kinda looks, like someone listened to TR.
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 16:39   #13
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Max_Tab
There is an article in a recent stars and stripes about national gaurd troops, giving classes in weapons, and movement and survival to a bunch of airmen, in Iraq. Kinda looks, like someone listened to TR.
Blind leading the blind?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 06-20-2004, 19:52   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

IRT some of the questios asked, no, the Army is not out of people, yet.

If we keep these missions up, we will be soon though. The extensions, outsourcing (contractors), mobilizations, early returns, and Stop Losses are indicators that we are running out of options, or, as GEN Shinseki warned, have a 12 Division (actually more) strategy with a 10 Division Army.

This was actually meant more along the lines of stirring discussion of whether the US Military is properly structured to fight the sort of wars we are engaged in, whether the Army force structure is adequate, and whether it might be time to ask the other services to pull more of the load here or reallocate resources.

No doubt lots of jobs for AFSOC, Security Police, airlifters, SeaBees, SEALS, and Marines, but what are the submariners and fighter jocks doing right now?

I agree that with some training, the other services personnel could pull static security. Not sure I want the pipefitter E-3 trying to kick doors and discriminate fires.

Just a few random thoughts, but with the grunts scheduled to be deployed to the Combat Zone 12 months of every 24, and SF doing six in, six out ad nauseum for the forseeable future, not an inappropriate question to ask, IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 19:59   #15
AngelsSix
Area Commander

Did you call me, Reaper??? While I will not profess to be the expert on this particular subject.....I do have some particular knowledge......

I went to the AF ABGD school in TX. Fun stuff.....only the basics, not much more than that. We cops are all given this training now as a rule, it used to be a seperate course.

They teach us the elements that most Army folks get in Basic training ( I assume that this is the case....I shall expound to clarify).

We get patrol tech (including observation posts), land nav, radio/field telephone, ambush, convoy, building clearing, perimeter defense, etc, etc.....also all weapons, to include grenade launchers, etc.

And no, we DO NOT just stand at the gate, dammit.

The premier ABD folks are out of Ramstein if I remember correctly.

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote