Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 01-18-2009, 20:22   #1
Fonzy
Guerrilla

the perfect pushup

Has anyone heard of this product for pt? It seemds kind of gimic-y to work. I was looking into getting pushup bars and was considering these. Thank you for any appreciation
Fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 20:56   #2
MILON
Guerrilla

what are the specifics on the product you are talking about? In general I sould say its not worth your money. Dumbells work fine as push up bars (if I am picturing the same produce you are talking about) and even better than that would be using medicine medicine balls or basketballs as an unstable surface. See the link below for an example.

http://www.xlathlete.com/view_exerci...xercise_id=206
MILON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 21:23   #3
chance
Guerrilla Chief

Three kitchen chairs work great, just dip down as far as you can go.
Old 01-18-2009, 21:41   #4
Kyobanim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzy View Post
Has anyone heard of this product for pt? It seemds kind of gimic-y to work. I was looking into getting pushup bars and was considering these. Thank you for any appreciation
Spend the money on a good book, you'll get more out of it.

Put your hands on the floor underneath your body and push. Use several variations on the theme to concentrait on different areas:

1. Standard - hands along side your body and even with your armpits
2. form a diamond with your hands under your sternum
3. Put your fists on the floor, similar to a standard pushup
4. Use the diamond method except put your hands out in front of your head.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 23:01   #5
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

The Perfect Push up

...is the last one
This device you refer to is designed to invert you "fists" as you press away from your body. It is a Neuro pattern much as a punch is done properly.
If you start you punch from your side with you fist with the thumb up and push out and up to about nose height while rotation your fist(palm down) then that is the motion of the perfect push up.
This devise is two separate pieces and hand placement can be as mentioned above to accent different areas of the muscles used in the push up.

Not a waste of money, but not necessary. Blitzzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:33   #6
Fonzy
Guerrilla

Blitz,
I believe you have the right idea. The specific item I'm talking about can be found at perfectpushup.com.

I've been using two benches together in a V shape, similliar to the three kitchen chair method, but that takes up a lot of space and isn't practical. Was looking for something small and practical to take with me back downrange (home for R&R now), was curious if the theory behind the "twist" with this product would help or if regular pushup bars would be better.

Thank you for your advice gentlemen,
SPC Fonzy
Fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:19   #7
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

something else o try.

Buy two of the light kids balls ( about the size of a large soft ball) Do the push ups on those. You can rotate them as you push up and also benefit from the increased muscular coordination as your body try to stablize position on the Balls. It's a lot cheaper and work quite well. Blitzzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:23   #8
JaimeD
FTFSI

rings

All you crossfiters know about rings!. Doing ring pushups has the same effect if not bettter than the power pushups. You also have the benefit of doing a variety of other exercises (muscle-ups,dips, pullups, back levers and the iron cross).
JaimeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 13:00   #9
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeD View Post
All you crossfiters know about rings!. Doing ring pushups has the same effect if not bettter than the power pushups. You also have the benefit of doing a variety of other exercises (muscle-ups,dips, pullups, back levers and the iron cross).

With no Bio, you are not here!

Back to my lane, couldn't help myself.

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 13:10   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeD View Post
You should understand your operating environment and read the rules before posting.

You have missed an important step.

Do not post again without reading, and complying with the board rules.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 19:42   #11
kawika
Auxiliary

They are kind of goofy but I use them myself. On my "weekly pt test workout" I usually do 80 regular pushups first, and then do sets with this. I personally think it's helped me with my pushups and I can usually get to 80 fairly quick in one sitting now, whereas before I could really only do 50.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 21:47   #12
LR27
Auxiliary

I have found that push-up bars help you go down farther so you don't cheat yourself, in turn making regular push-ups a lot easier. The 'Perfect Push-Up' has the same type of elevation, and the twist, the benefits of that stated above.

Nothing too special, but it gave me an extra 10 on PFT's.

"Selection is a never ending process." - Anonymous Special Operations soldier
LR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 20:02   #13
Kiran
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange27 View Post
I have found that push-up bars help you go down farther so you don't cheat yourself, in turn making regular push-ups a lot easier. The 'Perfect Push-Up' has the same type of elevation, and the twist, the benefits of that stated above.

Nothing too special, but it gave me an extra 10 on PFT's.
Agreed. My buddy recommended I get use a couple of my textbooks for elevation, and no two textbooks are of the same size, nor is any combination of all my books. Plus, the muscle confusion is awesome; going back to a standard pushup afterwards feels quite a bit easier. I hit a plateau around 65 pushups, with only 6 more for a 100 on the pushup part. With these, I maxed out at 40, but after I used them consistently, it helped me break the plane and added a few more reps. Last week, I tested myself, I was at 70 pushups.

Last edited by Kiran; 03-29-2009 at 21:03. Reason: 60 + 6 is not 71. terrible math.
Kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:52   #14
Doc Z
Asset

Perfect Pushup

We have been using the Perfect Pushup system out here since the beginning of deployment. The first time we started using it, we all agreed that it was working our stabilizers more than a standard pushup. I haven't really noticed a difference as opposed to simply using free weight incline/decline/flat bench though. We have been having a competition lately but everyone seems to have tapered off in favor of other exercises. I think Warrior-Mentor put it best in his book 'Getting Selected', when he said "The best way to improve your push-ups, is to do push-ups".

Just my humble opinion.
I have been on the Battlefield. I have had to look and work when others would only look away in sheer revulsion and fear. The sound of men crying in pain as if they are boys. I ignore the battle ensuing around me to save these Mens' lives. You think flying a flag makes you a patriot? No, no. Those MEN are the true patriots. The only kind of Patriot that really matters.
-Doc Z

RIP Brothers - SSG Rodgers 16Aug2008, SSG Farley 17Sep2008, SGT Penich 16Oct2008. SGT Dawson 17Jan2009
Doc Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 15:39   #15
MILON
Guerrilla

Another idea. Take whatever you choose (ie. perfect push up, books, chairs, medicine balls, etc) and now wrap a band around your back to use as resistance. They are cheap and take up almost no space. Iron Woody is a good place to order from and they come in varying resistance levels. I would wait to use the bands until you are comfortable with whatever unstable surface you are using. Additionaly, you can add bands to just about any exercise you choose in the weight room. I trained with bands while deployed last year and had great results.

I couldnt find a video of band push ups, but there is one of Band DB Bench. Placing the band under the arm pits is best. See the videos and websites below.

DB Band Push Up
http://www.xlathlete.com/view_exerci...xercise_id=332

Iron Woody Bands
http://ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-bands.php

If anyone wants anymore info on training with the bands, just PM me.

Milon
MILON is offline   Reply With Quote