Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 01-12-2009, 12:28   #1
Penn
Area Commander

Roto cuff injury

What can I do for a roto cuff injury? Pain level 6-7, Thanking you in advance for your time.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:42   #2
alright4u
Quiet Professional

RE: Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
What can I do for a roto cuff injury? Pain level 6-7, Thanking you in advance for your time.

Tough it out or see MD.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 13:58   #3
Penn
Area Commander

The question was: what can be done for a roto cuff injury...it was not about what can be done for pain. The pain and relative scale was inserted so that you could asses the extent of the injury, if thats possible to do by such a scale.
Additionally, the thread is about sick call, it is not; let me have someone tell me to deal with it or see a Doc....if you have nothing of value to give to a sincere question, why post a reply at all????????
Old 01-12-2009, 14:44   #4
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

if it worth saying, it will be quoted.

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-17-2018 at 08:46.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 15:13   #5
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Chef,
From the patient perspective: My injury was caused by falling from a ladder and I was left hanging from the joists between my attic hatch. The Ortho skipped PT up front based on pain level and operated on left, (both sides hurt). Operation was out patient recovery was not so bad. I was religious with the PT and believed it paid off. PT focused on both shoulders and I am stronger now than pre injury. The doc cleaned up bone spurs and lots of old scar tissue, consistent with lots of ruck sack, and construction use. I was back to work in four days, due to a AAA audit I needed to stand for. I was 100% within a year of the surgery. The Docs on the site are great, just thought a patient’s view would be helpful.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 17:22   #6
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Chef,

There are a number of options. Initially your Doc may prescribe physical therapy. The real question is "which part" of your rotator cuff is torn. There are four different components that make up the cuff and then the "labrum" which helps it all glide around together.

Initial options may include an MRI to assist in diagnosing exactly what your problem is. Afterwards, surgery (if warranted) may be either arthroscopic (3 holes with cameras and tools and such) or open - big ugly scar.
I have had both (one on each shoulder) after my rotator cuff tears progressed into an impingement syndrome. I was unable to throw a ball, reach over my head, sleep lying on my shoulder etc.
In my case - big ugly scar surgery had better results than three hole surgery - that being said they were done by different surgeons so there is also that to consider
Post op rehab was about 6-8 weeks until I was doing most things again.

Good luck with your diagnostics and therapy / rehab. Pain sucks. Chronic pain suck worse.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 17:32   #7
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Excuse Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
The question was: what can be done for a roto cuff injury...it was not about what can be done for pain. The pain and relative scale was inserted so that you could asses the extent of the injury, if thats possible to do by such a scale.
Additionally, the thread is about sick call, it is not; let me have someone tell me to deal with it or see a Doc....if you have nothing of value to give to a sincere question, why post a reply at all????????

I gave you an honest answer. A pain level of 10 to me is a 12.7 mm in the hip.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:25   #8
SRGross
Auxiliary

I have a couple of questions for you, since I am in the same boat, but mine was caused my bullet.

Are you on Active Duty?
If not are you with the VA?
If so 2 things, do not let the Fayetteville, VA do any surgical on your shoulder, it is not that they are good or not, it is you can be consulted to UNC Chapel Hill Sports Medicine like I was, they are very good. if you are on Active duty and in the Ft Bragg area, I know of an excellent docotor that will steer you in the right direction, she happens to be my wifeand she is very Pro SF.,
feel free to PM me if you are local and I will see what I can do.
Old 01-14-2009, 15:59   #9
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Shoulder

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-17-2018 at 08:47.
Old 01-14-2009, 17:53   #10
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Lots of advice here.

The best is to see an MD and get evaluated and course of action. This will more than likely be surgery followed by very light range of motion within the limits of the post surgical protocols for different surgerys. Soft tissue healing is about 8 to 12 weeks, at which time you will start light exercise in 6 different directions of the shoulder. Your Pain and strength will be followed and exercise will progress keeping pain down to a minimum. At Ft Campbell we used to start Blitzing the shoulder after 10 -12 weeks and rehab time was fast. You will not get the blitz at Ft Bragg or any where else. Total time for Good recovery about 6 months. Blitzzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 03-15-2009 at 19:56.
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:39   #11
Penn
Area Commander

To all, Thanks for the info. Will see an ortho today, had to delay for personal reasons.
For those who will or who have had a cuff pull, there is no home remedy for this injury. Again, Tx to all.d
Old 02-16-2009, 16:28   #12
Mizzou
SF Candidate

My question also relates to shoulder injuries; didn't want to start a new thread unnecessarily.

I had surgery on my shoulder ten days ago (6 FEB). It consisted of a biceps tenodesis with screws, not sutures, done openly, and a decompression done arthroscopically. I had a nerve block done, and I still have some numbness in my hand. I have the "slept on my arm" feeling constantly. It improved for approximately three days post-op, then plateaued. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of situation? Thanks!

Mizzou
Old 02-16-2009, 16:46   #13
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Old 02-16-2009, 16:53   #14
Mizzou
SF Candidate

It was a scaline block.

-Mizzou
Old 02-16-2009, 16:57   #15
Red Flag 1
Area Commander