Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 06-05-2004, 12:08   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

D-Day, 60 Years Ago

SIX MINUTES!!

Sixty years ago at this time, jumpers were chuting up and along with glidermen, preparing to load aircraft for the opening of long awaited Western Offensive against the Axis.

STAND UP!!

GEN Eisenhower spoke to the soldiers, you can hear his statement read at the below link.

http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/d...edayaudio.html

"The D-Day operation of June 6, 1944 brought together the land, air and sea forces of the allied armies in what became known as the largest invasion force in human history. The operation, given the codename OVERLORD, delivered five naval assault divisions to the beaches of Normandy, France. The beaches were given the codenames UTAH, OMAHA, GOLD, JUNO and SWORD. The invasion force included 7,000 ships and landing craft manned by over 195,000 naval personnel from eight allied countries. Almost 133,000 troops from England, Canada and the United States landed on D-Day. Casualties from the three countries during the landing numbered 10,300. By June 30th, over 850,000 men, 148,000 vehicles, and 570,000 tons of supplies had landed on the Normandy shores. Fighting by the brave soldiers, sailors and airmen of the allied forces western front and Russian forces on the eastern front led to the defeat of German Nazi forces. On May 7, 1945, German General Alfred Jodl signed an unconditional surrender at Reims, France."

HOOK UP!!

These men were young then, and brave. Despite being scattered all over the area by the AAF, they did their nation's bidding, and took the war to the enemy courageously, without complaint, in many cases at the cost of their own lives.

CHECK STATIC LINE!

Now the survivors are old, some still suffering from their injuries in those battles. We have finally dedicated a memorial to them, about 35 years later than we should, but it is a good step.

CHECK EQUIPMENT!

I would like to take this moment to say that on behalf of all of the Quiet Professionals and guests here, we salute you and honor you on this day.

SOUND OFF FOR EQUIPMENT CHECK!

At least in that moment, we didn't have to listen to our European allies complain about us sticking our noses into other nations' affairs.

STAND IN THE DOOR!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I plan to pop "The Longest Day" and "Saving Private Ryan" into the player tonight/tomorrow, and tip a glass to these brave Americans.

GO!

RIP to those who fell, and cheers to those who made it. You truly were a Great Generation.

DOL-
TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa_eisenhower_dday_2_e.jpg (41.7 KB, 55 views)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 13:16   #2
Denny
Asset

I second that Sir. May generations to come never forget what happened on this day. Today I will bow my head and think of all the men right around my age that gave all they had, and went into the jaws of hell to free people that were being oppressed. I thank you soldiers wherever you might be and hope that you are resting peacefully. It makes gets me down when I think of all those brave men that are still around and how everyday we are losing them. I hope that it wont be the last time in history that we see men of such great caliber.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 13:43   #3
Sdiver
Area Commander

and to the fallen...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frenchcoastline1.jpg (26.5 KB, 46 views)
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 13:48   #4
DanUCSB
Guerrilla

From those I have been privileged enough to speak with, those whose stories I have heard, and from what I have seen, the most striking thing about the men who fought their way into Fortress Europe is their humility. Had the soldiers of the time been professionals, all-volunteer, their accomplishments would still have been vast; however, it is an enduring testament to the American nation, the culture we hold dear, and the power of a just cause that we could have done such a thing with conscripts, ordinary men thrust into extraordinary circumstances, showing the world of what stern stuff Americans are made.

Thank you to all the veterans who gave so much that we may be so lucky as to be sitting here today.
Old 06-05-2004, 15:03   #5
ghuinness

This is probably well known, but here is a link to the Eisenhower Library documents covering D-Day.

I would also like to remember
one of the groups from the Burma Theater; the longest war.

I will never forget.

Last edited by ghuinness; 06-05-2004 at 15:39.
Old 06-05-2004, 15:14   #6
Gypsy
Area Commander

The world owes all to these brave Warriors. I thank you and may you all continue to rest in peace. I too rented Saving Private Ryan and plan to raise my glass in tribute. May you and yours continue to be blessed.