Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 11-08-2008, 01:34   #1
orko
Quiet Professional

"the dark bros"

In my search to find and authentic vietnam era beret I ran across another one, with a story

Mint condition beret with 10th SF calling card pinned to the liner. Story goes this beret was given to a Polaris test driver who showed some SF guys how to operate their snow mobiles.

the calling card has ODA XXX along with "the dark bros" in the corner of the card

can anyone confirm or deny
orko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:26   #2
Abu Jack
Quiet Professional

Sounds plausible to me. I don't remember the ODA number but they were from either B or C Co 2nd Bn 10th SFG(A). IIRC their logo was a pair of wayfarer raybans. I think they were a MOST team too. We had polaris snow mobiles and I rember guys going to Polaris to get spun up on maintenance so to me, it fits.

Abu Jack
Abu Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 13:04   #3
orko
Quiet Professional

ODA was 055, the card lists Ft. Devens, MA

The beret says Bancroft over 50 years. what year would you guess?
Old 11-09-2008, 16:31   #4
Abu Jack
Quiet Professional

I would guess, 94-96. I don't think we started woriking with Polaris until we got to Carson.
Abu Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 20:54   #5
Conrad Y
Quiet Professional

On A/2/10 I remember some lucky guys from some of the teams at Devens around 91-92 doing some serious training somewhere in the northern midwest, I believe. This was with the Polaris reps. Some of our engineers built that big garage for the new Polarises at the Motor Pool soon after. Patrick F was the guy from my team.
Conrad Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 00:49   #6
orko
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Jack View Post
I would guess, 94-96. I don't think we started woriking with Polaris until we got to Carson.
it would have to be before that because the address on the card reads Ft Devins,MA. the move to Co was between 94-95?

of course the beret has a sewn tag that says bancroft over 50 years. and I think before they went out of business their signature card said "over 100yrs"
Old 11-11-2008, 06:44   #7
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

I remember the machines being in-place by 1992.......and the quonset hut-garage in the motor pool.

I also recal a conversation with someone who had gone up to Polaris, but I don't know how long or how many of those trips took place.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:20   #8
FormerActionGuy
Asset

The "Dark Bros" began on 053 around 1989/1990 at Ft. Devens. Just prior to the Gulf, 053 was redesignated 055. Some founding members were, CPT W, Otis M, Steve B, Paul S, and myself Scott M. I designed the logo that had the wayfarer sunglasses and the Manchu Mustache, with Dark Bros arched on top, and ODA 053 arched underneath. I left the team in 1992. After that, I can't tell you what became of the logo. How about anyone else out there???
FormerActionGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 20:23   #9
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by orko View Post
In my search to find and authentic vietnam era beret I ran across another one, with a story

Mint condition beret with 10th SF calling card pinned to the liner. Story goes this beret was given to a Polaris test driver who showed some SF guys how to operate their snow mobiles.

the calling card has ODA XXX along with "the dark bros" in the corner of the card

can anyone confirm or deny
I was on 053 just as the Dark Brothers handle was dropped. I know some of the guys that were trained by Polaris before heading up to Yellowknife. I would say the story holds water.
alfromcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 20:25   #10
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Y View Post
On A/2/10 I remember some lucky guys from some of the teams at Devens around 91-92 doing some serious training somewhere in the northern midwest, I believe. This was with the Polaris reps. Some of our engineers built that big garage for the new Polarises at the Motor Pool soon after. Patrick F was the guy from my team.
Conrad

You talking Carson? That came in 94 on...

Al
Old 11-21-2008, 20:28   #11
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by orko View Post
ODA was 055, the card lists Ft. Devens, MA

The beret says Bancroft over 50 years. what year would you guess?
That team became 053 with one of the periods stream of musical team numbers.

I will see if it was any of the guys I was on the team with.

(One of them is in big trouble right now at Bragg. Afghanistan...)
Old 11-21-2008, 20:33   #12
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerActionGuy View Post
The "Dark Bros" began on 053 around 1989/1990 at Ft. Devens. Just prior to the Gulf, 053 was redesignated 055. Some founding members were, CPT W, Otis M, Steve B, Paul S, and myself Scott M. I designed the logo that had the wayfarer sunglasses and the Manchu Mustache, with Dark Bros arched on top, and ODA 053 arched underneath. I left the team in 1992. After that, I can't tell you what became of the logo. How about anyone else out there???
I think it stuck until mid 94 when I got there. Guys on the team were talking about it in recent past tense.

Maybe after 10 years of leaving the team but I am sure it reverted back to 053 and was designated a Mtn Tm. I am checking with some folks that have better memories than I.
Old 11-21-2008, 22:35   #13
Conrad Y
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfromcolorado View Post
Conrad

You talking Carson? That came in 94 on...

Al

I'm sure it was Devens '91-'92. My memory is fuzzy on the time frame but I think it was early-on in the program with the first train-the-trainer guys before the the move and the hassle of building all those metal racks to transport the things out to their new home in Carson.
Conrad Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 18:12   #14
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Y View Post
I'm sure it was Devens '91-'92. My memory is fuzzy on the time frame but I think it was early-on in the program with the first train-the-trainer guys before the the move and the hassle of building all those metal racks to transport the things out to their new home in Carson.
I thought you were talking about the place they built at Carson. I was still in Germany during 91-92 so wasn't aware they built something at Devens.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:07   #15
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Yeah, same team. 055 was the Dark Bros @ Devens. They did train up for a trip to Minnisota and then Yellowknife Canada and hung around a lot with Polaris people. My former teammate, Ted P said that he didn't specifically remember them getting a beret on that trip but they got coins, etc. Says it MAY have been that trip.

When they got to Devens the Dark Bros name kind of faded away as they became a Mtn Tm and then the number changed back to 053.