Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 06-03-2004, 16:14   #1
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Airport Security

What do you think about it? Are these people competent? Are they out of control? Tell your horror stories here or, if you want, talk about why you think airport security screeners are great Americans. LOL
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 16:31   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Re: Airport Security

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
What do you think about it? Are these people competent? Are they out of control? Tell your horror stories here or, if you want, talk about why you think airport security screeners are great Americans. LOL
My, my, things must be slow down at the Barristers' Offices today.

I think we mainly hired a bunch of minimum wage personnel at an inflated salary.

Most of them strike me as lazy, ineffective, pompous bureaucrats with an overinflated sense of their own importance.

Frankly, shaking down a geriatric Medal of Honor winner and former Governor or a grandmother, while lacking the courage or ability to closely scrutinize young Arab men, particularly those from terrorist sponsoring countries strikes me as PC busy work, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

If I am out hunting bears, I would probably not track every deer, rabbit, and possum I run across.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 16:34   #3
skipjack
Auxiliary

Well, having gone through security a couple weekends ago... I would rate security a 2 out of 10.

This was at BWI in Baltimore. I noticed that the screeners were too social with other screeners. That they had a "keep moving..." attitude and that they were just unware of the situation.

I had to go through security 3 times since I was waiting for over an hour and the only book store was in another terminal. So I went through security for my terminal, then went back out my terminal through security of another terminal, then back out that terminal and back through security for my terminal. So, I spent a lot of time with the screeners....LOL.

Anyway, while I was going through with a single book (the one I just purchased) there was no one else in line, so I walked up to the screener and asked if I needed to put the book through the X-Ray machine. Since he was socializing, he didn't respond. So, I put the book through the X-Ray machine anyway and walked through the metal detector. After walking through the metal detector, without supervision, I was waiting for my book to pass through the X-Ray machine, since there was no one manning it. Once someone finally made it to the machine she looked at the book then said to me, "Is that all you had? You could've just walked through the metal detector!" At that point I wanted to jump over the machine and choke her. But, figured that might draw too much un-needed attention...lol.

So, the sum up... security still sucks!

IMHO

-skipjack
skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 16:34   #4
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Re: Re: Airport Security

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
If I am out hunting bears, I would probably not track every deer, rabbit, and possum I run across.
You have a problem with deer, rabbit and possum? What about their civil liberties? LOL
Old 06-03-2004, 16:49   #5
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

In the Industry, do you know what we say TSA stands for ??

THOUSANDS STANDING AROUND !!!!
Old 06-03-2004, 17:12   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Re: Re: Re: Airport Security

Quote:
You have a problem with deer, rabbit and possum? What about their civil liberties? LOL
No, I said I was after bears.

Slow down and RTFQ, Sir.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 06-03-2004, 17:15   #7
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Re: Re: Re: Re: Airport Security

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
No, I said I was after bears.

Slow down and RTFQ, Sir.

TR
OK, FTPATD -- too much multitasking today.

You know what I meant, though: profiling bears is not nice, is it? LOL
Old 06-03-2004, 17:23   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Airport Security

Quote:
OK, FTPATD -- too much multitasking today.

You know what I meant, though: profiling bears is not nice, is it? LOL
If I know bears killed my dogs, and I don't want them to do it again, what is the point in hunting the other animals right then?

Frankly, any bears I kill won't worry me too much, and if they decide to leave the area because I am putting them at risk, I really don't care.

Get my drift?

TR

Old 06-03-2004, 18:13   #9
Brother Rat
Auxiliary

Re: Airport Security

Quote:
Airport what? Security? Never seen it.
Brother Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 18:17   #10
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

I know a couple of guys that deployed last year, and slipped through the local (colorado springs) airport security with loaded 5.56 mags in thier carry on bags........they didnt realize it themselves until security in England caught it........

no confidence in them myeslf......

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:58   #11
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Security in England seems to be better and, above all, expedient and polite. With a US passport the only place I get flak is at the damn immigration desk where I turn up with a big smile and a stamp that says 'citizen'.

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 03:57   #12
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

I've been through the AVSEC guys checkpoints here a number of times, not bad, was not impressed on one occassion though.
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:13   #13
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

I think airport security is a placebo for the American people. They are only checking small portions of the entire system (remember CARVER). Anyone that wants to take down a domestic airline has a variety of options. Anything man can devise can be bypassed and many of us have spent careers figuring out ways to do just that. Heretofore the bulk of airline security has been aimed at prevention of highjacks and that same mentality of finding that person(s) that is a threat before he/she boards the aircraft seems, on the surface, to still be guiding the effort. I am not totally convinced that an exhaustive and ongoing analysis of the threats are being conducted. There seems to be a sense of complacency that because we have "security" we are in fact "secure", but security has to be able to not only be in place to protect from the threat it has to be able to be able to detect the threat long before it can be used against the target. The long and the short of it is that it is not what security will do for you but what the lack of it will do to you.

Jack Moroney
Jack Moroney (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:51   #14
Ghostrider
Tank Boy

airport security=oxymoron w/HEAVY emphasis on moron.

Based on recent experience guarding a major airport during the New Year's week celebration, existing "security"is a band-aid measure meant to give the feeling of security. If it had been adequate or effective from the start there would have been no reason for my guys or me to be patrolling w/M 4's and M 9s. I won't even go into details on what I observed!

If you think about it, how could an agency that was formed so quickly properly screen and train effective employees? Overpaid and under-trained is a recipe for incompetence at best and sadly disaster in the worst case scenario.

Last edited by Ghostrider; 06-04-2004 at 07:59.
Ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:47   #15
Guy
Quiet Professional

Talking Just go thru with me....

You will definitely be waiting!

I need to go thru wearing shorts, t-shirts and flipflops and just carry my clothing on a hanger.

I was flying 1st Class from Amsterdam, already in the terminal ready to board and was pulled out of line.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote