Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 06-02-2004, 11:35   #1
pulque
Guerrilla

weapons in the workplace

Pizza man saved by gun,
but fired for packin' heat
Prosecutors call it 'clear case of self-defense,' yet national chain prohibits carrying firearms

A pizza deliveryman won't face charges for fatally shooting a would-be robber several times when he was approached in a high-crime area, but his employer, Pizza Hut, has fired him for violating a company policy against carrying firearms.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/pr...TICLE_ID=38726
pulque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:18   #2
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

I think I will offer myself for sacrifice to draw out the wolves on this one...

I think exactly what should happen, DID happen. He should be cleared of any criminal wrongdoing and maybe even get a few atta' boys from his friends. But he should be looking for a new job.

I am tired of people wanting using "freedom" as an excuse for breaking known rules and ignoring responsibilities. Does he have a right to carry a weapon- yes. Does he have a right to carry when delivering in a pizza hut uniform to the public's front doors? NO, not if it is against that companies with clearly explained policies.

I can't carry my .45 on site where I work... If I choose to and have to use it to defend myself , I will be fired but that would have been MY choice. If I want to have the "FREEDOM" to carry at all times at work, then I have the "freedom" to choose a different job where that is allowed.

**this thread may need to be moved to general discussions since it is not truly a SF weapon thread.

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 06-02-2004 at 12:20.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:22   #3
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
I think I will offer myself for sacrifice to draw out the wolves on this one...

I think exactly what should happen, DID happen. He should be cleared of any criminal wrongdoing and maybe even get a few atta' boys from his friends. But he should be looking for a new job.

I am tired of people wanting using "freedom" as an excuse for breaking known rules and ignoring responsibilities. Does he have a right to carry a weapon- yes. Does he have a right to carry when delivering in a pizza hut uniform to the public's front doors? NO, not if it is against that companies with clearly explained policies.

I can't carry my .45 on site where I work... If I choose to and have to use it to defend myself , I will be fired but that would have been MY choice. If I want to have the "FREEDOM" to carry at all times at work, then I have the "freedom" to choose a different job where that is allowed.
Will you settle for a shark? LOL

I agree.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:24   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I also agree. He has a right to carry and defend his freedom. Pizza Hut also has the right to fire him.

TS

(and that this thread belongs here)
Old 06-02-2004, 12:37   #5
pulque
Guerrilla

thanks for moving this to the appropriate forum.

It sounds like we're agreeing so I guess there is no argument. I have a hard time imagining any service job that would allow one to carry

If a civ wants to pack at the workplace, then they have to be LEO, or self-employed entrepreneur.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:47   #6
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally posted by pulque

If a civ wants to pack at the workplace, then they have to be LEO, or self-employed entrepreneur.
Whoah there triple ewww GWAMG!! LOL

I didn't agree to the fact that they HAVE to be either LEO or self employed. I have no trouble at all with any size company allowing its employees to carry legally on the job. It is the companies right to decide for its employees- while on the job.

Just like a lib to take an inch and stretch it a mile into some new gun control law!! LOL
Old 06-02-2004, 12:58   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more.

Do you have an LEO detailed to your protection? If not YOU are responsible for your own personal security. Some of us are more serious about that than others.

By the same token, as already stated, if you are caught in violation of a formal company policy, you risk being fired.

There are people in this country right now who would do the samer thing to you that was done to Sharon Tate, or to more recently to Mr. Berg. The only thing preventing that at any given moment is you, and your co-workers ability to protect yourselves. When the average response time to a "shots fired" call exceeds 60 seconds, what will you do to protect yourself till they arrive and form a perimeter to sort out the situation?

With your stated position, will you be crying and hiding under your desk if it happens at your workplace, waiting endlessly for the LEOs to arrive, or fighting to survive with no weapons because the corporate entity told you it was wrong?

You make your decisions, then you live (or die) with the consequences.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 13:03   #8
pulque
Guerrilla

you guys misunderstood what I said.

I would rather have the gun.

I am looking to find out if there are any jobs that allow one to pack.

I did not and WOULD NOT say that employees should not carry/protect themselves.
Old 06-02-2004, 13:05   #9
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Sure..Sure you didn't lib!! LOL
Old 06-02-2004, 13:26   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:

thanks for moving this to the appropriate forum.

It sounds like we're agreeing so I guess there is no argument. I have a hard time imagining any service job that would allow one to carry

Quote:

you guys misunderstood what I said.

I would rather have the gun.
Where in the above direct quote did you say that?

Quote:

I am looking to find out if there are any jobs that allow one to pack.
Really? Must have missed that as well.

Quote:

I did not and WOULD NOT say that employees should not carry/protect themselves.
Really? Must be my lying eyes that read:

"If a civ wants to pack at the workplace, then they have to be LEO, or self-employed entrepreneur."

I must be missing something here, is there a hidden text function or something, or do I fail to understand the Basic English you used?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 06-02-2004, 13:40   #11
pulque
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
I must be missing something here, is there a hidden text function or something, or do I fail to understand the Basic English you used?
Sir, as a part of my job I routinely fail to use Basic English. Sad, but true. I should have phrased it better and not relied on the context of my sentence to carry it's meaning to you, and I apologize for that.

Can anyone think of a company that encourages its employees to be prepared to defend themselves with weapons?
Old 06-02-2004, 13:42   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Sir, as a part of my job I routinely fail to use Basic English. Sad, but true. I should have phrased it better and not relied on the context of my sentence to carry it's meaning to you, and I apologize for that.

Can anyone think of a company that encourages its employees to be prepared to defend themselves with weapons?
Blackwater
Gunsite
Thunder Ranch

To name three. Need more?

TR

Old 06-02-2004, 13:46   #13
pulque
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Blackwater
Gunsite
Thunder Ranch

To name three. Need more?

TR
Thank you. I'll look into it.
Old 06-02-2004, 13:53   #14
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

LOL!!!!
Fits with the delivery man thread topic too. I can see the ads now:

BLACKWATER SECURITY
"Producing the absolute finest quality Martyr Makin' "
Now we DELIVER 24 hrs -worldwide

haha Just kidding... back to thread!

I would be glad to see a few really good lookin assistants walking around with IWB holsters in my office. Oops... I can hear TR's words of wisdom already being typed after reading this, " Steady...steady Saca.....steady down there in Ms" LOL
Old 06-02-2004, 18:32   #15
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Is it Pizza Huts policy, (written or not) that their drivers deliver un-armed? If so, then they are asking for less developed individuals to come out and rob thier drivers. I know several pizza places that refuse service to an area because of these type of problems I think if they choose to send them into known bad areas (as the origional post stated) they should accept the fact that the driver reserves the right to defend himself....

I dont like pizza hut pizza anyway.........

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote