Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 10-03-2008, 09:25   #1
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Why We Fight Now - The Global War on Terror

RELEASE NUMBER: 081002-03
DATE POSTED: OCTOBER 2, 2008

PRESS RELEASE: USASFC(A) premiers new documentary
FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, Oct. 2, 2008) — The U.S. Army Special Forces Command (Airborne) held a movie premier screening of a new documentary entitled, “Why We Fight Now - The Global War on Terror” Wednesday night at the U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School here.

The event was hosted by the USASFC(A) commanding general, Brig. Gen. Michael S. Repass. Dignitaries that were present included Tony Rand, N.C. state senator; Tony Chavonne, City of Fayetteville mayor; Tommy Bolton, civilian aide to the Secretary of the Army; Lt. Gen. Robert Wagner, commanding general of U.S. Army Special Operations Command; Maj. Gen. John Mulholland, who recently relinquished command of Central Command’s Special Operations Command; and Maj. Gen. Thomas Csrnko, commanding general of the USAJFKSWCS.

“For the benefit of our nation and the world, it is time that the truth be known about the United States Army Special Forces - who we are, what we do - and what great potential we bear for the advancement of freedom, peace and stability across the world,” said Repass. “Though Special Forces have been traditionally known as the ‘Quiet Professionals,’ we can no longer afford to be the ‘Silent Professionals.’ For the military and diplomatic ‘challenges of our time,’ this story must be told.”

Full Story Here:
http://news.soc.mil/releases/News%20...081002-03.html

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:46   #2
Dan
Administrators

The files can be saved to your computer by right clicking on each link, selecting "save target as", "save link as", etc, and then selecting where you want the files saved (i.e. My Documents); then at your leisure view them from where you saved them with a video view like Windows Media Player. The videos are not too small to maintain decent viewing quality, so I have given the approximate video size behind each link.

Recommend you watch them in the order we have them mirrored below:

Post Update: There is a new web site that also has the files available for download here: http://www.whywefightnow.com/
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 22:15   #3
mark46th
Quiet Professional

"It's time that the truth be known who the U.S. Army Special Forces are..." BG Repass USASF Commanding General.

With all due respect, Sir, I completely disagree. The only people who need to know who we are and what we do, are the bad guys just before a bullet pierces their skull. Everyone else should live peaceful, productive lives not needing to know Special Forces exists or worrying if the person standing next to them is wearing a vest filled with dynamite and nails...

We will do our job quietly and professionally. The only recognition we need is from our peers. Our success will be measured by the lives lived in the peace and freedom we provide our country.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:57   #4
Bosnianguru
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
"It's time that the truth be known who the U.S. Army Special Forces are..." BG Repass USASF Commanding General.

With all due respect, Sir, I completely disagree. The only people who need to know who we are and what we do, are the bad guys just before a bullet pierces their skull. Everyone else should live peaceful, productive lives not needing to know Special Forces exists or worrying if the person standing next to them is wearing a vest filled with dynamite and nails...

We will do our job quietly and professionally. The only recognition we need is from our peers. Our success will be measured by the lives lived in the peace and freedom we provide our country.
Great quote Mark and, for the most part, I agree. But the General is living the hell of making sure that SF assets assume their proper role in "the fight." Today, now that GWOT is sexy and well-resourced, everyone is suddenly either an expert in the field or capable of becoming one through correspondence courses and OJT. There is a significant push - likely succeed – to train and equip the General Purpose Force (GPF) to take on train-and-equip roles previously seen as requiring the highest levels of specialized training.

There are those who’re arguing that SF should be more like the Ranger Regiments and SEAL Platoons, and focused more on seeking and destroying HVTs, leaving the “lower-hanging fruit of the GWOT” to GPF, who can “quickly be brought up-to-speed” through MTTs and the Instructor Training Course.

I think the OPSEC constraints on publicizing what SF does should be as narrow as the eye of a needle, but it should be there. Just as the British (and other) SAS benefit from the glimpses of their work and successes, without compromising security, we too must be able to sell our services in the corridors of Washington, without compromising the secrecy and operational security that makes us effective.

But, again, I generally agree with you. Just think – know first-hand actually – what a crummy job it is to be in Washington trying to “keep things real” as the resources get allocated and the policies get set.

DOL
Bosnianguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 20:56   #5
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosnianguru View Post
Great quote Mark and, for the most part, I agree. But the General is living the hell of making sure that SF assets assume their proper role in "the fight." Today, now that GWOT is sexy and well-resourced, everyone is suddenly either an expert in the field or capable of becoming one through correspondence courses and OJT. There is a significant push - likely succeed – to train and equip the General Purpose Force (GPF) to take on train-and-equip roles previously seen as requiring the highest levels of specialized training.

There are those who’re arguing that SF should be more like the Ranger Regiments and SEAL Platoons, and focused more on seeking and destroying HVTs, leaving the “lower-hanging fruit of the GWOT” to GPF, who can “quickly be brought up-to-speed” through MTTs and the Instructor Training Course.

I think the OPSEC constraints on publicizing what SF does should be as narrow as the eye of a needle, but it should be there. Just as the British (and other) SAS benefit from the glimpses of their work and successes, without compromising security, we too must be able to sell our services in the corridors of Washington, without compromising the secrecy and operational security that makes us effective.

But, again, I generally agree with you. Just think – know first-hand actually – what a crummy job it is to be in Washington trying to “keep things real” as the resources get allocated and the policies get set.

DOL

Bosnianguru

Welcome, but please re-read your e-mail that you got when you registered on this board. Please do not post again until you have done your intro as required.
Thanks SF_BHT
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 17:55   #6
pjody187
Asset

Last edited by pjody187; 06-08-2011 at 23:03. Reason: out of my lane
pjody187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 22:06   #7
Rose
Asset

Awed and grateful

Last edited by Rose; 02-05-2009 at 09:40.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 18:23   #8
harryd56
Asset

Thumbs up War on Terror

I don't normally reply on threads like this because I don't like politics and retired because of politics on the post I was serving at the time. There is no place for it in the military and that's all there is too it however, I'm not so dumb to think that it has not always been there and will not always be there to some degree somewhere in the rank and file.
With that said let me add my .02 if I may. I was assigned to an SF Group for a short period of time and became enthralled with "The Force." So much so that had I not come down on orders I would probably have retired from there. These men took me under their wing when they saw how interested I was in them and their way of life, and how concerned I was for the well being of their stomachs (Fd Svc Sgt) and began to enlighten me to their way of life through comaraderie and cross training and I will be forever greatful. I took the Q Course through correspondance and passed with flying colors but I would never ever, ever disgrace the memories of the fallen and my friends by sewing a long tab on my class a's or fatiques, and anybody that does should be considered a poser right off the bat. You CANNOT be a Green Beret through correspondance or the class room, you have to fight for it with your mind body and spirit, and then you live it, breath it and never ever quit it.

Let the world know who the Quiet Professionals are gentleman, it's alright to let your guard down on that one situation. They don't have to know how you do what you do but they should be allowed to know that there are soldiers out there in the world that make the world a better place wherever they go. That there is no gang graffiti left on walls or anywhere else these soldiers have fought and served. That if we employed more of these men in our schools after they retire we would have some of the brightest students in the world, with some of the strongest ethics a human being can posses, hopefully creating a nation of unified young adults to fill the ranks of these men. And if we had more of them to run for local, state and federal office we wouldn't have gangs running sections of our cities, and terrorist' threatening our freedom, or innocent people being shot through the walls of their homes in drive-by's. We wouldn't be losing jobs to foreign nations without gaining something in return, and we certainly wouldn't be apologizing to anybody for anything.
And you young soldiers out there now, don't think for one minute that you can be a Green Beret because some puke in D.C. published an order and said it was alright for you to sew on THE TAB because you completed the course thru paper, I threw an Army recruiter out of my house in 1995 for telling my son he would be a Green Beret within 6 months and would have killed him had it not been for my wife and my common sense along with a overwhelming feeling of sorrow that he had been taught by somebody to say that, but I know that somebody had never served in an SF Group.
If they ever do, you are going to be in trouble and we as a people will be headed down the tubes real fast. There was a guy a few years back lurking here that claimed he was authorized to wear the tab because he completed the correspondance course and had served with a reserve group and was scuba, jump, etc, etc qualified - WRONG ANSWER JAKE _ you are not and never will be with that attitude.

I hope I haven't overstepped my bounds

By the way gents I do where a ball cap with The Crest on it, and I do have a sweat shirt with The Crest on it, and I do admit to serving you, and I do admit to being damn proud of it, and I will never, ever stop supporting your efforts wherever you and I may be.
harryd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 22:00   #9
home james
Asset

Well said.
home james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 17:09   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by home james View Post
Well said.
James, you should know by now, this isn't where your first post should be.

Please reread the board rules and comply.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:58   #11
Little Fish
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryd56 View Post
I don't normally reply on threads like this because I don't like politics and retired because of politics on the post I was serving at the time. There is no place for it in the military and that's all there is too it however, I'm not so dumb to think that it has not always been there and will not always be there to some degree somewhere in the rank and file.
With that said let me add my .02 if I may. I was assigned to an SF Group for a short period of time and became enthralled with "The Force." So much so that had I not come down on orders I would probably have retired from there. These men took me under their wing when they saw how interested I was in them and their way of life, and how concerned I was for the well being of their stomachs (Fd Svc Sgt) and began to enlighten me to their way of life through comaraderie and cross training and I will be forever greatful. I took the Q Course through correspondance and passed with flying colors but I would never ever, ever disgrace the memories of the fallen and my friends by sewing a long tab on my class a's or fatiques, and anybody that does should be considered a poser right off the bat. You CANNOT be a Green Beret through correspondance or the class room, you have to fight for it with your mind body and spirit, and then you live it, breath it and never ever quit it.

Let the world know who the Quiet Professionals are gentleman, it's alright to let your guard down on that one situation. They don't have to know how you do what you do but they should be allowed to know that there are soldiers out there in the world that make the world a better place wherever they go. That there is no gang graffiti left on walls or anywhere else these soldiers have fought and served. That if we employed more of these men in our schools after they retire we would have some of the brightest students in the world, with some of the strongest ethics a human being can posses, hopefully creating a nation of unified young adults to fill the ranks of these men. And if we had more of them to run for local, state and federal office we wouldn't have gangs running sections of our cities, and terrorist' threatening our freedom, or innocent people being shot through the walls of their homes in drive-by's. We wouldn't be losing jobs to foreign nations without gaining something in return, and we certainly wouldn't be apologizing to anybody for anything.
And you young soldiers out there now, don't think for one minute that you can be a Green Beret because some puke in D.C. published an order and said it was alright for you to sew on THE TAB because you completed the course thru paper, I threw an Army recruiter out of my house in 1995 for telling my son he would be a Green Beret within 6 months and would have killed him had it not been for my wife and my common sense along with a overwhelming feeling of sorrow that he had been taught by somebody to say that, but I know that somebody had never served in an SF Group.
If they ever do, you are going to be in trouble and we as a people will be headed down the tubes real fast. There was a guy a few years back lurking here that claimed he was authorized to wear the tab because he completed the correspondance course and had served with a reserve group and was scuba, jump, etc, etc qualified - WRONG ANSWER JAKE _ you are not and never will be with that attitude.

I hope I haven't overstepped my bounds

By the way gents I do where a ball cap with The Crest on it, and I do have a sweat shirt with The Crest on it, and I do admit to serving you, and I do admit to being damn proud of it, and I will never, ever stop supporting your efforts wherever you and I may be.
Beautifully said.

Looking for Richard L Vanderzwalm
Little Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:00   #12
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fish View Post
Beautifully said.
You just commented on a ten year old post and revived a seven year old thread.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 14:34   #13
Airbornelawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
You just commented on a ten year old post and revived a seven year old thread.
You just commented on a comment on a ten year old post ...

Seriously, Little Fish, for future reference, you should not "necro" an old post unless (1) there are no more recent posts where the topic has been addressed and (2) you have a substantive comment to make which justifies reviving the post. Merely commending another post or poster is not a substantive comment.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 18:15   #14
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post

Seriously, Little Fish, for future reference, you should not "necro" an old post unless (1) there are no more recent posts where the topic has been addressed and (2) you have a substantive comment to make which justifies reviving the post. Merely commending another post or poster is not a substantive comment.
7261E6B9-8A5A-4A43-ADAE-0EF3FA0D1484.jpg
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 21:32   #15
Little Fish
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post

Point tsken. Not easy to establish dates on phone.
Will try to improve.
Seriously

Looking for Richard L Vanderzwalm
Little Fish is offline   Reply With Quote