Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 05-30-2004, 13:30   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Monkey Stomping Art

SF gallery owner becomes target after showcasing painting of Iraqi prisoner abuse
- LISA LEFF, Associated Press Writer
Saturday, May 29, 2004

(05-29) 14:49 PDT SAN FRANCISCO (AP) --

After displaying a painting of U.S. soldiers torturing Iraqi prisoners, a San Francisco gallery owner bears a painful reminder of the nations unresolved anguish over the incidents at Abu Ghraib -- a black eye and bloodied brow delivered by an unknown assailant who apparently objected to the art work.

The assault outside the Capobianco gallery in the citys North Beach district Thursday night was the worst, but only the latest in a string of verbal and physical attacks that have directed at owner Lori Haigh since the painting, titled "Abuse," was installed there on May 16.

Last Wednesday, concerned for the safety of her two children, ages 14 and 4, who often accompanied her to work, Haigh decided to close the gallery indefinitely.

Painted by Berkeley artist Guy Colwell, "Abuse," the painting at the center of the controversy, depicts three U.S. soldiers leering at a group of naked men in hoods with wires connected to their bodies. The one in the foreground has a blood-spattered American flag patch on his uniform. In the background, a soldier in sunglasses guards a blindfolded woman.

More:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 14:34   #2
Sigi
BANNED USER

Re: Monkey Stomping Art

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc

Painted by Berkeley artist Guy Colwell, "Abuse," the painting at the center of the controversy, depicts three U.S. soldiers leering at a group of naked men in hoods with wires connected to their bodies.
The real pictures were not enough of a depiction of what has become a dark spot on our humanitarian record. We actually need an artist to give her rendition of the events. (Not that I shed one tear for the prisoners.)

I don't get it. What is she trying to say - artists are always trying to say something - with this "art?" I wonder if she was approached by al-jazeera.

Quote:
a San Francisco gallery owner bears a painful reminder of the nations unresolved anguish over the incidents at Abu Ghraib
I think the anger is directed at the needless exploitation of our mistakes at the hands of ultra-liberals who do not represent the mainstream American.

This is almost as bad as Nancy Pelosi on Meet the Press this morning. Almost. I try to listen to the extreme left, but I had to turn her off after 3 seconds.
Sigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 14:41   #3
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I think she was trying to say "I need to pay my rent and this is the most contreversial theme today - should be able to get some good duckies for this. "
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 05-30-2004, 15:05   #4
Sigi
BANNED USER

I am sure the publicity doesn't hurt.
Old 05-30-2004, 15:09   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigi
I am sure the publicity doesn't hurt.
Looks like it might have hurt a little and the swelling can't be pleasant.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 05-30-2004, 15:17   #6
Sigi
BANNED USER

LMAO.
Old 05-30-2004, 15:50   #7
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Marx wrote the Communist Manifesto because he was out of money and he couldn't get a job for the Times in NYC.
Ockam's razor.
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 16:08   #8
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Solid
Marx wrote the Communist Manifesto because he was out of money and he couldn't get a job for the Times in NYC.
Ockam's razor.
So then you mean, that if this artist where to say.....get "Monkey Stomped" real good, that she wasn't breathing no more....her work might be worth something?

Either that, or her "friends" gave her the shinner and made the phone calls to her, just so she could get some publicity.

BTW....the "artist" got the flag on the solider in the foreground, facing the wrong way. I wish when these lib's want to bash this country and our troops, that they at least get their facts right.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 19:30   #9
Pandora
Hornet Nest Poker

Quote:
BTW....the "artist" got the flag on the solider in the foreground, facing the wrong way. I wish when these lib's want to bash this country and our troops, that they at least get their facts right.
Or was this deliberate?

This is no more "art" than it was when flashed across the nbc, fox or cnn screens.

I am hardly an art maven, but I can appreciate the surrealism of Dali or Picasso in a gallery in way I will never accept the skewed "realism" of these depictions hanging where soldiers are born.

She bought her ticket.
Pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 02:24   #10
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

That isn't skewed realism... it's just bad drawing...

Solid, Cromagnon Man
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:37   #11
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

I think somebody has the gallery owner confused with the artist, two different people right? What the gallery owner has to do is re-open the gallery and record her next assault with video then become a rich and famous victim, the media would love it because it could, once again, showcase their portfolio of images that inspired the "abuse" painting. Nancy Pelosi? I watched all of that...she didn't answer a single question Tim Russert asked her, just kept the ol' auto drive mouth going. NEVER ONCE (in case someone missed it the first time...) did she answer the question asked! Russert also never took her to task for this. Someones going to have to talk with R.L. about his representation down there.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:13   #12
Sigi
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Nancy Pelosi? I watched all of that...she didn't answer a single question Tim Russert asked her, just kept the ol' auto drive mouth going. NEVER ONCE (in case someone missed it the first time...) did she answer the question asked! Russert also never took her to task for this. Someones going to have to talk with R.L. about his representation down there.
You're right. That's why I turned it off because she failed to answer ANY questions. When he wasked her about the troops and how her comments affect them she never answered the question, but said something about "our responsibility to the troops." Yeah, ok. I wonder how many of the troops are glad she is running her suck.

That's when I turned her off. And Tim was letting her get away with every non-answer to the questions.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:21   #13
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Sigi, Your right about Russert! He flew his true colors that time, if that had been a Republican sitting across from him Russert would have fried the person for "non-answers" like he got from Pelosi.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:22   #14
Gypsy
Area Commander

It disgusts me how Russert and many others seem to let these people "fillabuster" instead of pressing them to answer the damn question. Pelosi is...well I can't say it in polite company.

I'd like to send her an excerpt of a letter I received from a Soldier yesterday....

"When the politicians of the United States start with all the finger pointing and the he said, she said routine, it does nothing but erode and degrade the morale of those serving. If the very people who sent the military to go fight cannot even take responsibility for how we got here to begin with, why should the soldier on the ground continue to fight? To the average Joe in theatre, seeing this calamity on the television is betrayal on the grandest and grossest of scales. It is almost criminal."
Old 05-31-2004, 10:52   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy
It disgusts me how Russert and many others seem to let these people "fillabuster" instead of pressing them to answer the damn question. Pelosi is...well I can't say it in polite company.
Oh, but Russert does badger and interrogate some of his guests.

Just the conservative ones.

The Dems get to use it as a bully pulpit.

Concur on your unstated opinion of Pelosi.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote