Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Welcome to Professional Soldiers ® > Introductions

Old 09-23-2008, 19:09   #1
cszakolczai

Back

I wasn't really sure how to title this, so I'll just start typing and we'll see how things unfold.

I checked the last time I was on here and it was April of 2006. Its been a while but in that time I've been pretty busy.

Lots of you probably don't remember me, others of you may remember me, either way I felt this the best place to post.

For those of you that don't know, I had dreams of entering the SF and I was on this site to learn more about the actual life that they live and to help me prepare. In 2006 I think I had one knee surgery by this time, but as I write this I've just finished up my 5th and hopefully final surgery. Since the last time I've been on here I've added to my simple arthoscopic surgery and now have undergone 3 reconstructive and another arthroscopic surgery. I am actually currently recovering from my latest reconstructive surgery. I've pretty much come to understand and live with the fact I won't ever be able to serve with the SF let alone the Army.

I am just re introducing myself and informing you that I'll be floating around on the boards, mainly reading but asking for help with certain things. And asking for a lot of opinions when it comes to equipment and such. Also to throw it out there, I'm also a photographer and maybe someone is in need of one.

Overall, this site is the closest thing I'll come to SF, and as much as it upsets me that I cannot even have the opportunity to try and become a SF soldier, or any soldier in that case, I remember this place as satisfying my craving just a touch. Maybe I am remembering incorrectly and it intensified my craving to serve, but I am hoping that this time around this site will help me keep my dream alive even though it wont come true.

Chris
Old 09-24-2008, 03:10   #2
jatx
Area Commander

I remember you. You asked good questions and responded well to advice. I am sorry to hear that your knee has not healed the way you wanted it to, but the Army isn't the only way to serve your Country and your society. What's your plan?
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:46   #3
cszakolczai

Well, right now I'm at a community college because I've been in and out of school so often with my knee, I didn't feel that going away to a 4 year school was wise on my or the parents wallet. I'm going to transfer and get a degree in Finance or something of that nature. I'm only getting this degree to possibly fall back on if need be.

I have some other things I am considering but they are fairly long shots. As I mentioned I'm a photographer, so maybe that will take off for me. I know that I can't serve, but maybe I could show people what its like for the men and woman who do serve, tell their story in a different way. Its just a thought and it would be a long time in the making but its been something I've been throwing around. I'm keeping an eye out and open to almost anything as long as it interests me. I'm just really not into desk jobs and thats why business/finance is a last resort. I'm not one to just sit around, but these bad knee's of mine make it so I have to sit around and it drives me nuts.

Other than that I'm just trying to finally finish school. I'm 20 years old going on 21 and I'm already behind by a whole year due to my knee. Its really frustrating having a bad knee to begin with, but when it actually puts your life on hold and makes it so that you cannot follow a dream, thats when I get really upset.

Last edited by cszakolczai; 09-24-2008 at 09:49.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:05   #4
JNC
SF Candidate

My buddy just got done having his 6th knee surgery, on the same knee, in the past two years. Feel so bad for him, doctor just can't figure out why it keeps messing up. They were thinking knee replacement for him, but he is way to young, because they said by the time he was 55, he would have to amputate.
So I feel for you man, good luck in your new path.
JNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:14   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Welcome back
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 13:48   #6
cszakolczai

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post
Welcome back
Thank you sir
Old 09-24-2008, 13:51   #7
cszakolczai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNC View Post
My buddy just got done having his 6th knee surgery, on the same knee, in the past two years. Feel so bad for him, doctor just can't figure out why it keeps messing up. They were thinking knee replacement for him, but he is way to young, because they said by the time he was 55, he would have to amputate.
I'm really sorry to hear that, but I see your located in NJ... or stationed here. I can give you my doctors name for your friend, my doctor helped fix my knee's as well as they ever will be with implanting cartillage back into it. Maybe your friend could benefit as well from it. PM me or respond to this thread if your interested. I'll send his name and information and send some information about my most recent surgery. My doctor is the doctor for the Mets and New Jersey Devils so he's very good. I highly recommend him and honestly, he's amazing with knee's. My knee's were awful, and after the 5 surgeries, I'm much much better, but still not 100% obviously. I can't do half the things I could do before, but having arthritus at the age of 20 and having bone on bone for years is why I am where I am... without my doctor though I was told by 25 I wouldn't be able to walk.
Old 09-24-2008, 14:15   #8
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cszakolczai View Post
I'm 20 years old going on 21 and I'm already behind by a whole year due to my knee. Its really frustrating having a bad knee to begin with, but when it actually puts your life on hold and makes it so that you cannot follow a dream, thats when I get really upset.
Don't be so hard on yourself. It sounds to me like you are growing up alot and learning to struggle with dignity. That is a very important life skill, almost certainly more important than anything else you would otherwise have learned during your "lost" year.

I suggest some sort of volunteer activity - all this introspection is not healthy.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 14:20   #9
MVS2
FTFSI!!!

Quote:
Sometimes the knee responds poorly to whatever's going on in there. A friend of mine had 6 surgeries after he tore his ACL - the doctor attempted to replace it with a cadaver's, but after the surgery it became infected and the final surgery left him with a knee minus ACL. Couple of funny (not as much for him) incidents walking out of various bars and restaurants during the Buffalo winters. Anyone have any luck with operations like this?
MVS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 14:32   #10
cszakolczai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx View Post
Don't be so hard on yourself. It sounds to me like you are growing up alot and learning to struggle with dignity. That is a very important life skill, almost certainly more important than anything else you would otherwise have learned during your "lost" year.

I suggest some sort of volunteer activity - all this introspection is not healthy.
I am taking 2 online classes right now to help me cope with time, but after I get my immobilizer off, I'm going to try and find a desk job and make some money to drop into my IRA. I can say that the one good thing from these surgeries has been the fact I have really matured, but it still is frustrating having 5 knee surgeries and constantly being off my feet. I'm really not one to sit all day. I am a very active person and these surgeries kill me. Also I'm not sure how much I could volunteer, seeing as how I wont be able to move much. I'll probably be ok to walk under my own power by December if I'm lucky, this surgery was a nice 12" long cut down my knee with a lot of work inside. I appreciate the comment and helpful words.
Old 09-24-2008, 23:05   #11
JNC
SF Candidate

I'll mention something to him cszakolczai, but I think the surgeon this time has finally fixed it. He went to one that was local, and after 2 surgeries, and still pain, he went to a new one. Had another surgery, fell down stairs, now different part of meniscus torn. Got transplant from cadaver. Things were going good, but he had to go back in again for some reason, and do something. Now, most recently, he just had one where the doc had to go in and fix a tear on the back of the transplant. From the sound of it though, my buddy said his knee is feeling good, and doing good.
I think part of it was his physical therapy post op, b/c I went to the same physical therapy department for my shoulder after I had surgery on it and the guy wasn't that good. Never advanced us in our stretches, exercises, or anything. Since then I took it upon myself to go to some athletic trainers who speacialize in this kind of stuff and things are going good. Going to recommend my buddy do the same.
JNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:27   #12
cszakolczai

Quote:
I'll mention something to him cszakolczai, but I think the surgeon this time has finally fixed it. He went to one that was local, and after 2 surgeries, and still pain, he went to a new one. Had another surgery, fell down stairs, now different part of meniscus torn. Got transplant from cadaver. Things were going good, but he had to go back in again for some reason, and do something. Now, most recently, he just had one where the doc had to go in and fix a tear on the back of the transplant. From the sound of it though, my buddy said his knee is feeling good, and doing good.
I think part of it was his physical therapy post op, b/c I went to the same physical therapy department for my shoulder after I had surgery on it and the guy wasn't that good. Never advanced us in our stretches, exercises, or anything. Since then I took it upon myself to go to some athletic trainers who speacialize in this kind of stuff and things are going good. Going to recommend my buddy do the same.
Ok just let me know if you need the doctors name. Best of luck to you and your friend.
Old 10-03-2008, 14:46   #13
dividebyzero
Asset

I underwent reconstructive surgery on my ACL and a near total removal of my meniscus in my right knee three years ago. I have since recovered in full after months of pretty painful rehab, so let me just say I feel for you. I cannot contribute much more that would be of use for you, although I must say your positive attitude is very inspiring. Best of luck to you in your recovery!
dividebyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 17:07   #14
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cszakolczai View Post
Well, right now I'm at a community college because I've been in and out of school so often with my knee, I didn't feel that going away to a 4 year school was wise on my or the parents wallet. I'm going to transfer and get a degree in Finance or something of that nature. I'm only getting this degree to possibly fall back on if need be.

I have some other things I am considering but they are fairly long shots. As I mentioned I'm a photographer, so maybe that will take off for me. I know that I can't serve, but maybe I could show people what its like for the men and woman who do serve, tell their story in a different way. Its just a thought and it would be a long time in the making but its been something I've been throwing around. I'm keeping an eye out and open to almost anything as long as it interests me. I'm just really not into desk jobs and thats why business/finance is a last resort. I'm not one to just sit around, but these bad knee's of mine make it so I have to sit around and it drives me nuts.

Other than that I'm just trying to finally finish school. I'm 20 years old going on 21 and I'm already behind by a whole year due to my knee. Its really frustrating having a bad knee to begin with, but when it actually puts your life on hold and makes it so that you cannot follow a dream, thats when I get really upset.

Welcome back!

You are young with your life ahead of you.

I believe it was Thomas J (Stonewall) Jackson who siad that you can be " what ever you resolve to be".

Best of luck!

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote