Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 05-11-2004, 19:43   #1
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Insect bite with complication

S- 33 yr old, WM, cc of " an itchy insect bite was starting to heal, but has gotten very sore since yesterday and now is starting to turn red and swell"

0- vitals WNL, no systemic fever, R forearm exam reveals tender, edematous, red plaque with central punctum present

You area is not one conducive to deadly insects or the initial injury likely to be anything other than a standard insect bite.

What is the likely diagnosis for secondary condition?
Your treatment would be?

Area appears as follows upon exam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bitewithcomplication.jpg (16.4 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 05-11-2004 at 20:09.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 19:58   #2
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

OK.. I admit it isn't as "cool" as a trauma thread, but it is very likely to be seen by the team doc.

BTW- that pic is of a females arm, but I couldn't scrounge up a better example when I was posting this.
Old 05-11-2004, 20:00   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Spider bite?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 20:09   #4
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

TR, sounds like a winner. It was a non-venomous variety .

Note- I would like everyone to focus on the bite being benign and non-poisonous in this thread. It might have been deadly to a normal man, but this thread is focused on a SF Team Sergeant as a patient again. LOL Therefore, treat this case as a normal spider bite with subsequent complications during the healing phase.

Much more likely scenario to have to treat....
Old 05-11-2004, 20:13   #5
shadowflyer
Guerrilla

DX-Insect Bite with signs of infection.

Is the site warm to the touch? Tenderness on palpation? Is the redness/edema growing in size since intial bite. Looks and reads as though it is secondary infection setting in.

TX-Broad spectrum ABX?

Fire away lads.

Jason
Old 05-11-2004, 20:14   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Cellulitis?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 05-11-2004, 20:23   #7
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowflyer
DX-Insect Bite with signs of infection.

Is the site warm to the touch? Tenderness on palpation? Is the redness/edema growing in size since intial bite. Looks and reads as though it is secondary infection setting in.

TX-Broad spectrum ABX?
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Yes. Oral or IV? Other supplemental treatment?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Cellulitis?
Correct, Sir.

(style of the man of few words, rubbing off on me. Making thread short but sweet. )
Old 05-11-2004, 20:24   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Yes. Oral or IV? Other supplemental treatment that may help?

(style of the man of few words, rubbing off on me. Making thread short but sweet. )
Oral Doxycycline.

TR

Old 05-11-2004, 20:27   #9
shadowflyer
Guerrilla

Not sure about the Oral or IV route for the ABX. I would think agressive IV ABX would be able to nip it in the bud pretty quickly.

I have not yet been fully trained on ABX administration IV or orally yet and am just going on what I can dig up in my school books and on the web. (Medic in training disclaimer).

Thanks for the education Doc Saca
Old 05-11-2004, 20:41   #10
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Oral Doxycycline.
TR
Oral... Yes. No systemic signs yet ( fever, lymphatic spread,etc) so PO it is. If it continues to worsen or becomes systemic... then IV.

My preference would have been an Augmentin (amoxycillin-clavulanate acid) OR a 1st-generation cephalosporin like Keflex(cephalexin ) due to likely etiology of Staph. infection.

Drugs choices are dependant on what is available to the medic... correction to recommended drug of choice by NDD, Eagle, etc would be appreciated based on what is likely to be available.

Culturing, of course, is the ideal way to determine drug choice, that is not an option in the field though.

Other Tx that may help patient's symptoms?
Warm compresses.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:53   #11
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
...Other Tx that may help patient's symptoms?
Benedryl for itching.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote