Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 12-27-2007, 14:21   #1
sbl
Asset

Interesting Flash

Hello gentlemen,
I don't really plan on being too much of a nuisance to the board; however, I saw something not too long ago that I wanted to ask this board about. I'm clearly not an SF soldier, but I do have a reasonable knowledge of beret flashes. Recently I saw this CWO4 with a beret flash that I didn't know, have never seen previously, and cannot seem to find on any Army heraldry or SF site. As to why I would like to know I am a student of military history and I have a particular interest in the history of Special Forces. I hope one of you gentlemen know what this flash is and can edify me. If this message is dilatory or a violation of OPSEC please delete it. Thanks for taking the time to read my question
-SBL

sbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 17:17   #2
lksteve
Quiet Professional

The flash is that of the Special Forces Association...wearing it with rank is not appropriate...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 17:22   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

White Border

I think the SFA flash has a thin white border.

It is not a flash to one of the named commands - I don't think - at least not and older command. And it's not the SF but not in an SF assignment flash either.

He could have given us a hint about where/when he saw it. I'd have to guess eastern GA?

He got the head - did he get the left shoulder as well? Come on lets see it.

Last edited by Pete; 12-27-2007 at 17:25.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 17:25   #4
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I think the SFA flash has a thin white border.
Mine doesn't...maybe I'm special...? The ones I received from SFA have a red border...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 12-27-2007, 17:30   #5
Pete
Quiet Professional

A hat

All I have is the hat with the I-XVIII patch.

I looked here

http://www.sfa1-18.org/quartermaster.htm

But all they had in view were the jackets. Oh, well.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 17:32   #6
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Also the SFA Flash is somewhat oversized so that it can be "sewn over" the Group Flash, if I recall correctly.
Old 12-27-2007, 17:36   #7
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
But all they had in view were the jackets. Oh, well.
The patch that goes on the pocket of the blazer has a silver border...the flash with the crest embroidered on it has a silver border...but for the economically inclined, the SFA flash has a red border...

AM, I believe it is oversized to accomodate the Roman numeral 10 above the oversized crest...
Old 12-27-2007, 17:45   #8
sbl
Asset

Thanks to all the QPs for the quick answers and discourse. This question had been bugging myself as well as several colleagues. I hope you can understand i didn't post any more information or the rest of the picture out of for respect for the gentleman pictured, I wouldn't want my ugly mug splashed over the web without my knowledge, and I wont do that to a person who has done what he has for our country
-slb
sbl is offline   Reply With Quote