Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 11-19-2007, 20:27   #1
TheLion03
Asset

Question for QP's again

I have a really weird/honest/humble question.

I hope i am posting this in the right area because i am asking for QP's opinions in order to help me out.

Just recently I have picked up a team leader spot in my unit so now i run a team of Marine forward observers. The question I am asking is about training, our unit is a reserve unit and we do not train to the best of our abilitys.

I understand this may be an odd question from a conventional unit but I have been put in very weird situations on operations and i lead a team of young FO's
I was wondering if there are any subjects I should stress. I have just recently told them to all carry e&e pouches on them at all times in the field as well as recomended chest rigs to carry gear.

Normaly I am used to operating in Map teams and need some guidance on what i should ask my command in terms of training. I was thinkning more team patroling and setting up LP/OP's I know there is alot more out there and i am trying to figure it out

any help would be amazing thank you
Old 11-19-2007, 21:16   #2
FearMonkey
Quiet Professional

Maybe I'm not exactly clear on what you're looking for, but if I were given a gaggle of barrel-chested freedom fighters and told to mold them after my own image into a mighty fighting force to be reckoned with I'd gather them around, clear my throat, and proudly announce, "Page 1-1 of the Ranger Handbook reads..."

No, in all seriousness. You can never go wrong with the Ranger Handbook. It's how I was taught and continue to learn. I just need to get that barrel-chested part down.
Old 11-19-2007, 21:42   #3
CosaNostraUSMC
Guerrilla

Location: Sono qui adesso, con una lunga zampe mulatto ragazza.
Lion03...I agree with FEAR MONKEY.

Ranger Handbook is some outstanding knowledge. You could complete a number of MCIs, and still be lacking.

Take that from a Marine who's been there, done that.
CosaNostraUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 21:51   #4
RTK
Guerrilla

Go for the 10 meter target first: Can they call for fire and adjust fire correctly? I can think of little I could use a team of FOs for that can't call for fire.

Don't know where you are in Ohio, but we have a Guardfist Call for Fire trainer here at Knox. There's a MARDET here too that could probably help out in a pinch.

Like stated, Ranger Handbook is nice. Take a look at FM 3-20.98, the Reconnaissance Platoon, particulary Chapters 3 and 4.

Last edited by RTK; 11-19-2007 at 21:54.
RTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 22:59   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Do you not have a battle book? Read your mission statement and set your tasks, conditions and standards to meet it.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:36   #6
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLion03 View Post
Just recently I have picked up a team leader spot in my unit so now i run a team of Marine forward observers. The question I am asking is about training, our unit is a reserve unit and we do not train to the best of our abilitys.

Sit down with your boss, define your mission requirements, develop a task list, the conditions under which you will have to perform them (don't forget variables like weather, potential enemy capabilities, day-night, season, terrain, theater of operation) and determine the standards to which you are going to have to perform them. Next determine where you all are in meeting them and lay out a plan to make up your shortfalls. The hard part is getting the time, resouces and support to carry them out. You will need to evaluate, re-evaluate, and adjust your program as your team meets your initial requirements. You are going to have to set the example for your troops, but in the process make sure that you involve them in the training and cross training so that you all know each others strengths and weaknesses. Develop your folks to be able to not only do their jobs but those tasks required for your team as a whole in case you lose folks. This is a dynamic process and as the variables change for your mission you need to change your program. You are never fully trained but you are always project in progress.
Old 11-20-2007, 16:30   #7
TheLion03
Asset

Thank You

Thank you all very much for pointing me in the direction of the Ranger Handbook. I had no idea there was that much information in one place. I read a downloadable version last night and WOW that is perfectly what I needed thank you very much.

Quote:
Sit down with your boss, define your mission requirements, develop a task list, the conditions under which you will have to perform them (don't forget variables like weather, potential enemy capabilities, day-night, season, terrain, theater of operation) and determine the standards to which you are going to have to perform them. Next determine where you all are in meeting them and lay out a plan to make up your shortfalls. The hard part is getting the time, resouces and support to carry them out. You will need to evaluate, re-evaluate, and adjust your program as your team meets your initial requirements. You are going to have to set the example for your troops, but in the process make sure that you involve them in the training and cross training so that you all know each others strengths and weaknesses. Develop your folks to be able to not only do their jobs but those tasks required for your team as a whole in case you lose folks. This is a dynamic process and as the variables change for your mission you need to change your program. You are never fully trained but you are always project in progress.

Sir thank you very much for those words of wisdom I will do exactly that you just gave me a whole new outlook on how to do things. I am still fairly new at leading a team but this has set my head straight. Thank You
Old 11-20-2007, 18:36   #8
CSB
Quiet Professional

IMHO

The best way to be a good FO is to start at the guns, see what they can and cannot do.

Then go to the FDC and see what happens to your call for fire. (Both computer and plotting board).

Then go out and be the FO that the FDC needs and the guns can shoot.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 18:38   #9
CosaNostraUSMC
Guerrilla

Contact your Co. RRO.

You'll want to get your hands on FMF manuals/MCIs pertaining to: ANGLICO, Reconnaissance Marine, Scout/Sniper, Arty (155's), 60 and/or 81mm mortar systems. Most of our FO's will be using knowledge from these sources.

Also, you're a reservist, so the chance is there for you to attend some good schools. I'd definitely recommend you try to get a seat at the Ranger school or the FMF ANGLICO course. Being in an FO team leader billet, you should qualify on paper, for the latter.

Go for brokoe though and justify the experience gained through the courses as being relevant with force multiplying capability; "Sir, this course would be invaluable to myself as a senior Marine, to my unit, and to the mission as a whole. When I pass the course, I will return to the unit and diseminate what I've learned throughout the unit, via PMIs and field training, increasing our effectiveness all around". You'll be rewarded with new knowledge for self, you'll see the Jr. Marines get smarter, and your cutting score will shoot through the roof. Better yet, you will increase your unit survivability and the survival rate of those dependant on your unit. It's a win-win situation.

If they don't get you into a school/course, take some initiative. Find out what units are in your AO, neighboring states, or there's always Lejune/Pendleton. Find a unit with an FO or FO-type in it and coordinate a link-up with them. I'm pretty sure you guys have a STA (now they call em Scout Sniper Plts I believe)Plt in your neck of the woods. STA has some great info on this subject. Aerial support and indirect fire is what I'm calling for when compromised and I'm in a hairy exfil.

The world's your class room. This is just my .02

Be smart, Marine, and remember to engage your brain before your weapon.

Last edited by CosaNostraUSMC; 11-20-2007 at 18:49.
Old 12-01-2007, 18:59   #10
ABNWest
Asset

not a QP, but I am a FISTer

Get in to the FM 6-30 for the basics. Out here it's all about knowing where you are at all times, so get your guys trained up on map reading and some kind of SOP on reporting friendly locations. I'm not really sure how far I can delve in to equipment on this forum suffice to say that if they don't know how to troubleshoot the commo, they're now just another maneuver guy. Talking to fixed and rotary drivers is also a force multiplier, so if you can find a way in to JFO at FT Sill you'll be a huge asset to the manuever guy who needs big rounds like yesterday. It's an awesome school and they really know their business over there. Learn manuever tactics as well. Like the previous posters said, the Ranger Handbook should give you a good idea on how they operate. Tie in with your supported infantry unit whenever they go to the field so the integration will be as smooth as possible when you deploy. Last, just remember that fire support is an art. Teach the doctrine, show them the art. Good luck.
ABNWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 19:19   #11
Pete S
Guerrilla

One thing that I would like to add: Don't be dependent on your optics. They are a good tool but I have seen FO's that can't do basic range estimation without all their fancy equipment.
Pete S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 19:05   #12
TheLion03
Asset

UPDATE

COL, Sir I have just came back from drill and spoke with higher about what I wanted to do and what you said that helped me with setting up my ideas with the command.

First I would like to say that everyone who recomended the Ranger Handbook was right on and My Marines Loved it. I told them that they had a group of people online to thank for the advice that was given.

As far as speaking with my platoon CO and platoon SGT, I asked them where they saw my team going in the next year and when they asked me what I thought I told them that i would like more time to deal with setting up LP/OP's and E&E plus tactical work instead of just sitting on a crate of MRE's 50ft from the gunline calling for fire in dry runs.

My Plt SGT laughed at me in my face and told me to slow down with all of my wild ideas because the company would never let it happen(his words were "what do you want next guilli suits for all of your FO's"). I had to beg for the chance to go 100 meters into the treeline and work on CFF there.

CSB and RTK my team has already shown that we are more than capable on the basics and right now we are just looking for more ways to perfect our craft. I also asked about extra training with the Guard and Reserve Army components, one more time I got laughed at.

As far as optics go because of your post Pete S I had to tell one of my Marines to stop thinking that he was going to get the newest optics( we have worked with ANGLICO before and they always bring the best with them which makes My Marines think they will get it to ) I have made sure they revert back to the basics.

As far as schools and more training go this was another complete BUST. I keep getting told to just do the basics. My team understands the basics and on paper we know how to deal with 9-lines but I am the only one who has ever had the chance to call for them and work with fixed and rotary wing.

This is what I am left with gentlemen just sending an update on what happended.i do understand my commands problems with letting us have to much leeway BUT, I will not stop in my quest for My Marines to be great just because some do not take my ideas seriously I promise you that much.

CosaNostraUSMC thank you for the words of wisdom they did not go un-heeded and without your respose I would not have a firm Marine to base my scheme of manuver off of.
Old 12-04-2007, 21:37   #13
CosaNostraUSMC
Guerrilla

LION03,

I figured that, those were the responses your COC would "issue" you. At least we know, that our Corps remains consistent over the generations; expected to do MORE with LESS. Your situation typifies the "adapt and overcome" stigma that follows our leadership.

Everyone in your COC, who denied or laughed at your request, wasn't trying to take away from your goals, or prevent you from being sucessful in your mission. They've been there and done that, with regards to struggles of this nature. I'm sure they know, that if you "look" hard enough, and "work" on the issue at "your teams" level, you can and will find what you need. No one's going to coddle you, you're a leader now... step up to the plate.

This is the way of our Corps, it's how we select and produce leaders through fight or flight, and while some see it as a hinderance, don't be mistaken and don't let it detract from your motivation. Stay motivated, do what needs to be done. Be a smart weapon. The last thing I said to you before was, "ENGAGE YOUR BRAIN BEFORE YOUR WEAPON". Recall the lessons you learned at Edson Range, or wherever you did your Crucible. Recall your time at SOI. Get back to the basics, "analyze" and "think through" your current situation while applying lessons learned at those past places, and work with your team as a cohesive unit to solve your problem.

Like many here have said, and you have seen for yourself, the Ranger Handbook is a great piece of info. Use it.

If you're a TL, you're at least a LCpl or a Cpl, I'm guessing. Either way, someone thought you competent and mature enough to handle the responsibilities of this billet, and remember, you're being looked at with regards to leadership as such; in that case NCO and SNCO are not so far off.

You've been given an oportunity to show your stuff, and lead. So, you didn't get any of the things you asked for... so friggin what... the mission still needs to be accomplished. Troop welfare comes second to this, right?! Well, if you accomplish your mission, with regards to getting your team up to par, guess what... troop welfare will take care of itself.

Include the members of your team. Sit down and do some serious brainstroming; get info from your members on what they feel their individual strong and weak points are. Also, come to your own conclusion as to what their weaknesses are. Develop and implement your own training, since that's what your command's told you will be required in not so many words, and get your guys up to speed. Don't get too high speed or fancy... KISS.

Concentrate on the basics, and include everyone in every part of the training. You all should be able to do any one of your individual roles in the team, so if shit goes down, you're still effective. Everyone needs to be able to do their part, as well as the others'.

Bottom line, no one said it would be easy. It's really not such a dificult situation. You're team is at point A... and you need to get them to point B. Take charge of the situation and find your way.

Stay dedicated to the task and NEVER QUIT.

GTG?

Last edited by CosaNostraUSMC; 12-04-2007 at 23:55.
Old 12-04-2007, 21:52   #14
TheLion03
Asset

ROGER THAT 110% CosaNostraUSMC
Old 12-04-2007, 21:58   #15
CosaNostraUSMC
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLion03 View Post
ROGER THAT 110% CosaNostraUSMC
PM SENT.