Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 05-02-2004, 01:49   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Things to Think About

The practice of medicine is an art and a tradecraft. Practitioners are trusted to use their best judgment in problem-solving by drawing on their expertise. What is important to remember is that there are numerous basic sciences driving medical practice. Biology, chemistry, physics, and all of the subspecialties blend together to create the medical sciences, the foundation on which the practice of modern medicine rests. The practice of medicine has been revolutionized by the sciences that underpin its workings.

The organization of knowledge in medicine is medical science. It took thousands of years to turn folk medicine into research-based allopathic medicine. The cases that are used to build expertise, the tools and techniques that support diagnosis and treatment, and the criteria on which judgments are made all have integrated the art of medicine with the science of medicine.

- Rob Johnston (taken out of context, but I liked it.)
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 02:04   #2
Air.177
Quiet Professional

well said
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 19:17   #3
shadowflyer
Guerrilla

This may or may not be on topic so please move it if it doesnt fit here.

I worked my first real trauma today, ( I was the first on scene to a 2 car MVA) I am still in school , but EMS was not there yet and there was already 3 PT's on the ground and driver was fully entrapped in the truck. I am still reeling from the whole thing but I am sure I did yall proud.

2 PT's on side walk bleeding from lac's to arms and face and legs. Airways were patent due to the fact that they were talking. Bystanders standing around saying what do we do. I grab trauma dressings and say here put these on the bleeding and talk to these people and tell them that help is on the way. I tell PT's to not move there head if at all possible.

3rd PT was unrestrained driver of Chevy 1500 that rear-ended a flatbed casket truck at around 55 mph. Dash of truck was trapping him, windshield was laying on his arm and he was in bad shape.

A RN was on scene looking after the Driver once I got there, she told me he had weak radials of about 40 and he was still breathing but agonal and at a rate of around 6. My first thought was Airway, he had blood literally pouring from his mouth.PT was completely unresponsive. I dont have suction in my jump bag in my personal truck so I swept it out as best I could. I had an OPA in my bag , but his jaws were so clamped down I could not get it in there. I started to hold c-spine once the first engine got on scene and had them get the manual suction and suctioned some of it out but really needed the electric suction with Yankeur tip. PT still with weak radials of 40-35 now and agonal respitrations. I am holding c-spine until medic comes to relieve me and I start suctioning and was able to suction about 100ml or so of blood out of the PT's mouth. We got a c-collar on him as the FF were still working to fold the dash back off of his mangled legs. We got a decent airway with a jaw-thrust and I continued to suction him and got a NRB 02 @ 15lpm on him right as we were able to do a Rapid extrication from the passenger side. He had BILAT tib/fib fx's and most likely mid-shaft FX's BILAT as well. PT also has a LT humerus FX that was open. We were able to extricate him and they loaded him on the bus and took off. We still had 2 more PT's as they had already taken the one lady with open FX to radius ulna. Passanger to truck was unrestrained as well with facial trauma and nice lac to his tongue and some teeth missing. He was walking wounded basically.

Other medics had other female PT on LSB and had everything under control.

I know that was not grammatically correct and was basically stream of consciousness as I remember it from today.

I know I helped that guy stay alive a lil bit longer ...until he could get to white lights and cold steel as James says.

Jason has found his calling ....
Old 05-22-2004, 21:42   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Fits just fine. Sounds like you did good.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote