Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 10-16-2007, 16:05   #1
Tetrian
Asset

A tincture of benzoin

Not quite sure you can call this stuff "gear", so figured the best place was the medical part of the forum, i hope someone can help me out.

Alot of threads on this forum mentions a "a tincture of benzoin" in relation to rucking and foot care, as im finding myself picking up the rucksack more and more lately I figure its time to add it to my blisterkit - So the question is, does anyone know of a good brand/supplier that can send it overseas(europe).

It might seem like a bit of a dumb question, but i tried my google-fu on it, and there seems to be alot of different brands out there, ranging from large aerosol cans, to more manageable "drippers" - What's the docs' favorite brand?

Thanks in advance,
-Tetrian
Tetrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 18:00   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

PDI swabsticks is what I use and prefer.

As for who will ship to Europe, I have no idea.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 19:04   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrian View Post
Not quite sure you can call this stuff "gear", so figured the best place was the medical part of the forum, i hope someone can help me out.

Alot of threads on this forum mentions a "a tincture of benzoin" in relation to rucking and foot care, as im finding myself picking up the rucksack more and more lately I figure its time to add it to my blisterkit - So the question is, does anyone know of a good brand/supplier that can send it overseas(europe).

It might seem like a bit of a dumb question, but i tried my google-fu on it, and there seems to be alot of different brands out there, ranging from large aerosol cans, to more manageable "drippers" - What's the docs' favorite brand?

Thanks in advance,
-Tetrian
Most people do not use it for that anymore.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 19:51   #4
Tetrian
Asset

Thanks for the answers guys.

The Reaper,
Im a bit curious to the reason as the product is a big unknown to me(benzoin is not something i have ever heard of in denmark).

Is there a generic replacement such as the PDI swapsticks surgicalcric mentioned or are people just using various other desinfecting solutions and tape due to them being more available today or whats the reason ?

Surgicalcric,
Thanks, i didnt even know those existed(actually thought swabsticks=babywipes/alcohol tissues at first) - I noticed they come with lemon, iodine and some others. I assume i would want the alchohol ones?

Thanks

Last edited by Tetrian; 10-19-2007 at 20:16.
Old 10-19-2007, 20:03   #5
Tetrian
Asset

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by Tetrian; 10-19-2007 at 20:16.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:39   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thanks for the answers guys.

The Reaper,
Im a bit curious to the reason as the product is a big unknown to me(benzoin is not something i have ever heard of in denmark).

Is there a generic replacement such as the PDI swapsticks surgicalcric mentioned or are people just using various other desinfecting solutions and tape due to them being more available today or whats the reason ?

Surgicalcric,
Thanks, i didnt even know those existed(actually thought swabsticks=babywipes/alcohol tissues at first) - I noticed they come with lemon, iodine and some others. I assume i would want the alchohol ones?

Thanks

AFAIK, it is fine for swabsticks and external applications.

I was referring to no longer injecting it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 10-21-2007, 09:17   #7
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...I noticed they come with lemon, iodine and some others. I assume i would want the alchohol ones?

Thanks
No, you want the Tincture of Benzoin ones.

Crip

Old 10-21-2007, 11:26   #8
Tetrian
Asset

Oh, misunderstood that one Surgicalcric - Thank you again

The reaper,
I feel like im asking an endless range of questions here, but any chance you could fill me in on the reason behind the injections not being used anymore?

-Tetrian
Old 10-21-2007, 11:29   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Oh, misunderstood that one Surgicalcric - Thank you again

The reaper,
I feel like im asking an endless range of questions here, but any chance you could fill me in on the reason behind the injections not being used anymore?

-Tetrian
Why do we not use leeches any more?

TR

Old 10-21-2007, 17:20   #10
crash
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

TR
Leeches on blisters? Never heard that one before..

They still do some amazing things with leeches now a days.
Old 10-21-2007, 18:42   #11
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Leeches on blisters? Never heard that one before..
We dont use leeches on blisters. You missed TR's reference.

What TR was trying to get across is the fact that leeches were at one time a "cure all," just as injecting Benzoin was a cure all for blisters. Do Benzoin injections work, yes. Is it the best thing for the patient, sometimes but more often than not its the best thing for the mission. In either case they (leeches and Benzoin) are still options, but not the first choice for most.

Hope that clears it up a bit...

Crip

Old 10-21-2007, 21:31   #12
crash
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
We dont use leeches on blisters. You missed TR's reference.

What TR was trying to get across is the fact that leeches were at one time a "cure all," just as injecting Benzoin was a cure all for blisters. Do Benzoin injections work, yes. Is it the best thing for the patient, sometimes but more often than not its the best thing for the mission. In either case they (leeches and Benzoin) are still options, but not the first choice for most.

Hope that clears it up a bit...

Crip
haha, I kinda thought thats what he meant, long slow day at work. Yay, for me being clueless...
Leeches sure aren't a cure all but they are still used. Seen them used on finger amputations once its sewn back on, to help the blood flow again and to remove the 'bad' blood. Pretty cool

My favorite is maggots for de-breading wounds..
Old 10-23-2007, 01:01   #13
Tetrian
Asset

Not sure i would refer to having maggots inserted into my wounds as a favorite, Crash

Team Sergeant and Surgicalcric, Thank you both for the clarifications very much appreciated.

-Tetrian
Old 10-23-2007, 05:18   #14
crash
Guerrilla

Quote:
Not sure i would refer to having maggots inserted into my wounds as a favorite, Crash

-Tetrian
Highly trained maggots? They bread them to only eat the non-viable tissue. Pretty cool actually, they munch right down to the live tissue.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:48   #15
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

TR
Mumblypeg, any thoughts here?
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote