Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Ammo Talk

Old 05-26-2007, 15:28   #1
NBC-Guy
Asset

Sourcing M9 Ammo??

Hi all,

Once again I am not sure if this is in the proper forum, but it does deal with ammo. I am currently deployed in Iraq and we are tasked with a Detainee Ops mission, so we don't get engaged or go outside the wire or anything of the sort. Due to our mission we hardly get any time to build on our marksmanship skills. I am really concerned with mine as I have only shot the m9 once and that was when I qual'd at Camp Shelby.

Long story short I am attempting to be proactive and source m9 ammo or at least find a vendor that will ship to APO AE. I talked to my supply sgt and he says " there is a shortage of m9 ammo in theater." I don't really buy that story, but I wanted to see if you all knew of any means to get some ammo as a few of the guys here want to practice transitioning and just get more proficient before we get back and try out for 19th and 20th groups.

Thanks in advance,

RB
NBC-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 15:58   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb.blackshear
Hi all,

Once again I am not sure if this is in the proper forum, but it does deal with ammo. I am currently deployed in Iraq and we are tasked with a Detainee Ops mission, so we don't get engaged or go outside the wire or anything of the sort. Due to our mission we hardly get any time to build on our marksmanship skills. I am really concerned with mine as I have only shot the m9 once and that was when I qual'd at Camp Shelby.

Long story short I am attempting to be proactive and source m9 ammo or at least find a vendor that will ship to APO AE. I talked to my supply sgt and he says " there is a shortage of m9 ammo in theater." I don't really buy that story, but I wanted to see if you all knew of any means to get some ammo as a few of the guys here want to practice transitioning and just get more proficient before we get back and try out for 19th and 20th groups.

Thanks in advance,

RB
I think that you are going to find that it is illegal to ship ammo through the APO system, and the government does not want you using anything but issue ammunition.

Your best bet is to try and get your unit to get somone on orders home via mil air to draw it from your home station ASP on your 581 and hand ship it on the mil air with him.

Probably easier to be creative and try to do some trading in theater.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 16:03   #3
NBC-Guy
Asset

Sir,

Thanks for the heads up on the illegality of shipping to APO. I guess I will have to talk to the supply guy and see if the method you brought up is a possibility. I have no idea how our ammo situation would work being guardsmen.
NBC-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:52   #4
504PIR
Guerrilla

You might find that your unit has a great deal of something that someone else wants. In the past I found being friendly and willing to help other units and organizations will go a long way toward being able get what you want for your unit. As a "scrounger" it pays to cultivate friendships with folks in other units.

One technique I used to use to meet people was at chow to always set with NCOs from other units. Strike up a conversation, perhaps causally mention my unit needed "concentina wire"as an example. Perhaps find out what that unit needs.

Most folks in the sandbox (Big Army, Marines, contractors, etc) realize we are all on the same team. If I can help you out,at some point you can help me out.
504PIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 17:32   #5
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504PIR
You might find that your unit has a great deal of something that someone else wants. In the past I found being friendly and willing to help other units and organizations will go a long way toward being able get what you want for your unit. As a "scrounger" it pays to cultivate friendships with folks in other units.

One technique I used to use to meet people was at chow to always set with NCOs from other units. Strike up a conversation, perhaps causally mention my unit needed "concentina wire"as an example. Perhaps find out what that unit needs.

Most folks in the sandbox (Big Army, Marines, contractors, etc) realize we are all on the same team. If I can help you out,at some point you can help me out.
You got that right. Try to help out another unit that might have extra ammo. Unit patches, coins, or just a few extra hands around the shop helping go a long way. You wouldn't believe the boxes of things we've flown on missions for people and how much they are willing to help you out in a pinch.
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote