Old 03-20-2007, 11:18   #1
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

Tölz Ski Bindings & Boots

One of my co-workers just got back from skiing in Utah last week. He asked me about Alpine Touring equipment. When I was at Bad Tölz in the early 80's we used Erbacher 185cm touring skis. For the life of me I can not recall the bindings or boots we used.

Anyone remember what bindings & boots we used at Tölz? Thanks!
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 21:15   #2
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoresteen
One of my co-workers just got back from skiing in Utah last week. He asked me about Alpine Touring equipment. When I was at Bad Tölz in the early 80's we used Erbacher 185cm touring skis. For the life of me I can not recall the bindings or boots we used.
Vinersa bindings and Hanwag boots...although, if you recall, we had the option of buying our own stuff...i had Blizzard Firebirds with Silveretta 300 bindings and Koflach Vallugas...

actually, we had the Marker touring binding at first, then bought the Vinersa binding around 1982 when i took A-123 from you...but my personal skis that i used for weekend touring had the Silveretta/Blizzard setup...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 21:31   #3
Hipshot
Quiet Professional

At Devens in 73, we had Marker bindings, chipps, and 210 cm White Star skis for both downhill and x-country. Ugh!
11F4S - S/Sgt, B/2/12th SFG(A)
a.k.a. Sheep Dog Daddy

God whispers in your soul and speaks to your mind.
Sometimes when you don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick at you.
It's your choice: Listen to the whisper, or wait for the brick.

Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:26   #4
x SF med
Quiet Professional

In the 80's at Devens - Ramer multipurpose skis with the Ramer/Marker cable loop multipurpose bindings - and Hanwegs, Chips, or brown Goretex boots - with the light green gaiters. And the traverse skins, who the hell came up with those things, huh? They'd slide all over the place, I thought that's what the fishscales on the bottom of the Ramer's was designed for, and a little wax that matched the conditions......

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:34   #5
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
Vinersa bindings and Hanwag boots...although, if you recall, we had the option of buying our own stuff...i had Blizzard Firebirds with Silveretta 300 bindings and Koflach Vallugas...

actually, we had the Marker touring binding at first, then bought the Vinersa binding around 1982 when i took A-123 from you...but my personal skis that i used for weekend touring had the Silveretta/Blizzard setup...
Ah!!!! Marker! Thanks LK! There was always a debate on 123 as to which bindings we should buy. Stew wanted one brand, Tiny another, I was just happy not getting killed on the downhill runs!
De Oppresso Liber
Old 03-21-2007, 12:52   #6
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoresteen
Ah!!!! Marker! Thanks LK! There was always a debate on 123 as to which bindings we should buy. Stew wanted one brand, Tiny another, I was just happy not getting killed on the downhill runs!
Tiny was gone when the decision was made...hell, you were the S4 then, IIRC...Battalion went with the Vinersa as the replacement to the Marker system as they were more adaptable for conversion to a rescue sled...when used with the Vinersa avalanche rescue shovel (one of which i still have), it was a turn-key solution...the fact that the bindings were...less than perfect didn't seem to matter much to the folks who made the decision...Jerry and i tended to like the Silveretta as a replacment as they were simpler to fix and operate...

anything was better than Marker's more-downhill-than-touring approach...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 03-21-2007, 15:53   #7
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot
At Devens in 73, we had Marker bindings, chipps, and 210 cm White Star skis for both downhill and x-country. Ugh!
DOUBLE UGH...I couldn't remember the names for the bindings, were Markers the leather ones....?

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 20:15   #8
bost1751
Quiet Professional

Hipshot, what a memory. I could not recall the names at all. We sure spent a lot of time on those creatures. If you could ski on them, you could ski on civilian skis great.
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:51   #9
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
Tiny was gone when the decision was made...hell, you were the S4 then, IIRC...Battalion went with the Vinersa as the replacement to the Marker system as they were more adaptable for conversion to a rescue sled...when used with the Vinersa avalanche rescue shovel (one of which i still have), it was a turn-key solution...the fact that the bindings were...less than perfect didn't seem to matter much to the folks who made the decision...Jerry and i tended to like the Silveretta as a replacment as they were simpler to fix and operate...

anything was better than Marker's more-downhill-than-touring approach...
Yes, nobody liked the Marker bindings. Everyone had their own opinon on what to get to replace them. I think that the funds were allocated in FY83 to replace the bindings for the entire Bn, the mountian teams may have gotten them sooner.

I too still have my Vinersa shovel. The neat thing about it was it has a gage in the handle so you can do a snow profile and it could function as an emergency sled..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vinersa shovel.jpg (28.7 KB, 39 views)
De Oppresso Liber

Last edited by Aoresteen; 03-22-2007 at 08:35.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:06   #10
jon1481
Asset

cross country/down hill

We called them nato bindings and used chippewa boots, also there was a cloth skin that could be attached to the short ski's to help climb. No one that I knew did much more than try them once. Second day at Flint we had a ski march....two groups coming towards each other going to the others start point...money was waged..night spent on the floor of a guest house...good beer ( radler ?) Great esprit de corps.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:11   #11
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1481
W...good beer ( radler ?) Great esprit de corps.
a radler is a mixture of beer and limonade, if memory serves me...
Old 06-10-2007, 08:27   #12
jon1481
Asset

radler

Yes, that's it...very thirst quenching!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:10   #13
SFS0AVN
Quiet Professional

I recall seeing some of the old skis when I got to Toelz. Wood, painted white about 200cm with a hole in the tip and screw in metal edges with Kandahar bindings. They called them Army White Stars. The mountain boots, made in Toelz, were used with them. Telescoping poles were used with big baskets. I had my own stuff for recreation. Kastle 210 GS skiis, Marker bindings and Koftlach boots. The Radlers were great specially after a hard day.

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine."
Rommel
SFS0AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 18:45   #14
hannon4you
Asset

Erbacher Ski Stuff

Folks,

I've still got a pair with bindings attached up in my garage. We used them on the Rallye Para Neige in Sondhofen in '74.

Little spring loaded screw on the bottom just under the binding area who's head would slip into a metal plate on the eel skin climbers which enabled us to walk _up_ many a ski-slope under the lifts all winter one year.

I've got some other things we used then also, not in the normal supply chain.

Joe Hannon
hannon4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:40   #15
Richard
Quiet Professional

We went from the 215cm White Star skis with cable bindings and Chippewa boots to the Marker touring bindings and Hanwag boots circa '76. The Marker bindings (with their spring release), Hanwag boots, and 195cm (IIRC) Atomic skis were a BIG improvement...like finally getting power steering for your old Mack truck. We still used the sealskin climbers.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote