Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Ammo Talk

Old 02-25-2007, 18:20   #1
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns

(For what it's worth.)

VERY important information regarding your auto loading pistols:

Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns

The following bulletin was received from the New Jersey State Police - Officer Safety Division

Date: February 23, 2007

Continuous reloading an chambering of the same round may cause catastrophic failure in semiautomatic handguns.

The Security Force at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in Los Alamos, New Mexico, recently reported on the catastrophic failure of a semiautomatic handgun when it was fired. The internal explosion caused the frame to break while the slide and barrel separated from the weapon and traveled down range. No one was injured in the incident. An investigation revealed that security personnel were repeatedly charging the same round of ammunition into the chamber.

Technical personnel at Glock Inc. advise that repeated chambering of the same round may cause the bullet to move deeper in the casing, further compacting the propellant. When a normal cartridge is fired, the firing pin hits the primer, igniting the propellant. When the propellant burns, the gas pressure drives the bullet out of the case and down the barrel. However, if the propellant has been compact, the pressure may increase beyond the gun's maximum specifications, causing the weapon to break apart.

Sigarms Inc's personnel confirm that reloading the same round five or six times will cause the problems, noting that reloading the same round even once will void their warranty.

Both manufacturers stress that the problem is not with the gun, but with chambering the same round repeatedly. The NJ Regional Operations Intelligence Center urges all law enforcement officers not to chamber the same round when loading their weapons.

***For example, when you clean your weapon, most of us drop the magazine and then pull the slide back thereby ejecting the round in the barrel.

After cleaning the weapon many of us will return the "same" round to the barrel that we initially extracted. Each time the slide slams forward on that same round it seats it deeper into the cartridge. Apparently, by seating the round deeper into the cartridge, it creates greater pressure when the round is intentionally detonated by a firing pin strike and is causing weapons to explode.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 18:47   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

This should not be a problem with properly crimped rounds containing normal powder charges.

Several rounds, in fact, start out loaded with compressed charges.

Glocks are notorious for KaBooms.

They already blame reloaded ammo and lead bullets. Perhaps they are looking for yet another scapegoat.

I would be curious to know whether SIG meant reloaded, as in hand loaded, versus reloaded as in repeatedly rechambered.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:33   #3
Genghis_Don
Asset

Hell I may just go buy a new box for GP. Throw out the top round after I chamber it a couple times

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. "
--Mark Twain
Genghis_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:04   #4
Pete
Quiet Professional

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
This should not be a problem with properly crimped rounds containing normal powder charges....I would be curious to know whether SIG meant reloaded, as in hand loaded, versus reloaded as in repeatedly rechambered.

TR

Semi-autos have been around for many years. The Military for about 100 years, Police forces have used them for decades. A lot of them were "round in the chamber, take it out, put in it" years and it's a problem now?

Hmmmm. I wonder.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:04   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis_Don
Hell I may just go buy a new box for GP. Throw out the top round after I chamber it a couple times
I regularly use the same rounds to load repeatedly, and I have been shooting handguns for over 30 years without a catastrophic failure. That includes some early, less than safe reloading experiments for a .44 Magnum that demonstrated the strength of a Ruger Super Blackhawk, and that God looks out after fools.

At the same time, I rarely keep a loaded mag more than three months, as I prefer to cycle my carry ammo periodically in practice and put fresh rounds in the mags. A box of carry ammo per year is not really that high a price to pay for that confidence.

Pocket lint, sweat, humidity, crud, weapons lube, etc. are not doing the ammo any good, and I really want the weapon to work as it should, when it should.

As the saying goes, there is nothing in the world louder than a click that should have been a boom or a boom that should have been a click.

In this case, I think someone has been overreacting.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:21   #6
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip_Wire
(For what it's worth.)

Technical personnel at Glock Inc.
I stopped reading this warning at this point. You get what you pay for...... for those of you that own glocks, good luck.

IMO glocks are the worst mass produced handgun on the market today. This just adds to my opinion.

Team Sergeant
Old 02-26-2007, 11:05   #7
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
I stopped reading this warning at this point. You get what you pay for...... for those of you that own glocks, good luck.

IMO glocks are the worst mass produced handgun on the market today. This just adds to my opinion.

Team Sergeant
So, Jefe - glocks fall under 1911's in the TS foce continuum for handguns? Just checking, I've got my eye on a nice .40 that I saw at SHOT... (not Glock, not 1911 clone)

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:22   #8
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med
So, Jefe - glocks fall under 1911's in the TS foce continuum for handguns? Just checking, I've got my eye on a nice .40 that I saw at SHOT... (not Glock, not 1911 clone)

1911's are antiques, but I've never heard of one blowing up for the above stated reason......

I've rechambered the same round for months on end with no problems when fired. But then again I own H&K's.

I did enjoy reading glocks excuses for failure.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:32   #9
incommin
Quiet Professional

Another reason for my not liking Glocks..... still love my 1911..... it may be an antique, but like me it does the job!

Jim

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 14:14   #10
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
...I rarely keep a loaded mag more than three months, as I prefer to cycle my carry ammo periodically in practice and put fresh rounds in the mags. A box of carry ammo per year is not really that high a price to pay for that confidence.
Absolutely. Not only is it not that expensive, I think its a great idea to fire a magazine of carry ammo now and then, as it shoots a bit differenly than the Winchester white box ball I normally use for practice.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 16:00   #11
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Without knowing details, I bet it was a Glock in .40 cal. The chamber has had issues with the pressures of some .40 rounds. The only failures described that I have seen were in that caliber.
The HKs, paras, kimbers, sigs, etc have the supported chamber, factory glocks do not.
ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 17:21   #12
G
Guerrilla

My .02c,

Back in the mid 90's I carried Hornady XTP 115gr 9mm in a BHP. After multiple chamberings, the bullet was definitely seated lower in the cartridge case. Whenever I noticed that happening, I just added the round to my weekly training ammo, and never had a problem.

Take Care...

G
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 20:01   #13
CoLawman
Area Commander

Quote:
Sigarms Inc's personnel confirm that reloading the same round five or six times will cause the problems, noting that reloading the same round even once will void their warranty.

Both manufacturers stress that the problem is not with the gun, but with chambering the same round repeatedly. The NJ Regional Operations Intelligence Center urges all law enforcement officers not to chamber the same round when loading their weapons.
You have got to be kidding me! Both of these manufacturers sell their firearms to Law Enforcement. Our agency purchased over 200 handguns from Glock. I can assure you that there were no instances in which they disclosed this defect. They must be the stupidest people on this earth if they are unaware that the loading of the same round is common practice in law enforcement!

When/if my issued weapon goes boom.........I swear to ODIN, if killed, my wife will find a lawyer to rename the company OLSON!
CoLawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 20:50   #14
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoLawman

When/if my issued weapon goes boom.........I swear to ODIN, if killed, my wife will find a lawyer to rename the company OLSON!
LOL, I'll testify on your wife's behalf....
Old 02-28-2007, 22:17   #15
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Curious, did they check the ammo, such as was there a crimp? Same ammo? I have pulled a lot of bullets and I just can not see the action forcing the bullet to the rearward of the case especially if there was a crimp.

Keeping the old ammo, is as bad as when bullets would turn green in a LEO leathers.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote