Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 02-06-2007, 19:45   #1
Cincinnatus
Guerrilla

Boot/ Binding Recommendations

This is motivated by curiousity rather than any real need for the best in HSLD gear, but I was wondering what guys on mountain teams recommend for boots and bindings for XC skis. I've been wearing Alpina boots that marry to the NNN BC binding and have been very happy with them. I particularly like that I can hike w/o difficulty in the boot. It has a fairly aggressive sole and at least for a short hike is quite comfortable.

I've trashed my skis and in looking at replacing them I've had folks tell me I should move to a three pin binding with a cable for around the heel. This is due more, I think, to my size (6'3", 230 lbs) than the dictates of the skiing that I do - mostly on skimobile trails, some groomed trails, some BC.

So, are there boot/ binding combinations any of you are particularly enamored with?

TIA
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:01   #2
x SF med
Quiet Professional

C-
We were issued stuff that would make most people cry when I was in 10th Group. Ramer 'multipurpose' skis that didn't really work that well for any purpose, came with the Ramer bindings (toe slide with heel cable, lock downs for downhill, and realease for XC/Telemark) and they supposedly worked with the issued Hanwegs or the issued Chippewas with the issued Gaiters that worked about 70% of the time

Ok, now that the bitching is done - I became a pretty good skiier because of this equipment, we had to be very technically proficient with unforgiving equipment and accomplish our mission.

In the civilian world - it's much easier - rent various combinations until you find the setup you are most comfortable with - a few bucks in research, a series of test drives as it were. Most of the XC places are more than happy to set up different packages for rental - because they're going to try to sell you on a package, and if you come up with a combo, it saves them trail time.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:25   #3
Snaquebite
Area Commander

C,
Wish I could help but it's been a long time since I played in the snow. I did get up to intermediate instructor level back in 10th which I thought was a pretty good feat for a southern boy. On the another note....
Quote:
Ramer multipurpose' skis that didn't really work that well for any purpose, came with the Ramer bindings
...we had wooden White Stars and leather bindings...(lots of fun) We did finally get Silveretta biindings before I left and they weren't much better.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:23   #4
Pigpen
Quiet Professional

Skis

With your height and weight you will definately want a broader back country ski. Like above I have been out of Skiing for a couple years. The last 10th group ski I did was a trip thru the Camp Hale area.

I acutally kept and still have my skis I used for the entire duration at 10th. The Eric's with the Silveretta 440(?) bindings. We got some of the newer skiis in a couple year before I left, I didn't like them they were too soft for me. Hence my initial statement.

BTW I have a broken heel peice, any help out there?

Go with the rental suggestion, just dont go to "Grand Theft Outfitters"
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:33   #5
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen

Bro- no help on the broken heel piece (you mean the heel lock down so the hinge works?). But thanks for the B/U on the rental suggestion. Lots of the ski and skate shops have rentals too - and they will definitely customize the binding/boot/ski combos.

Lucky bastard didn't have to do the Ramers with "skins" for uphill.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 14:30   #6
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

We had a requirement to pass at a distance for locals hence we all bought civilian equipment and had an ecclectic assortment of skis, boots and bindings and because they were civilian they were better quality than issued stuff where quality is determined by the lowest bidder. As the folks have said, better to rent some stuff first to find out what fits your needs before you buy. You and I carry the same weight, however you seem to have been stretched beyond "normal" height and you will need a longer ski than most. If you are going to carry some additional weight and are looking at backcountry skiing my preference would be metal edged skis, higher than normal cross country ski boots, and a good touring type binding that you can repair on site if needed that matches your skill level.
Old 02-07-2007, 16:45   #7
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen

Grand West went out of buisness a year or so ago......probably after you retired.

I used to have an old pair of bindings laying around. I'll have to scrounge through my gear lockers next time I'm back in Colorado. I may have finally tossed them out, but I'll give it a look.

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 18:42   #8
incommin
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite
C,
Wish I could help but it's been a long time since I played in the snow. I did get up to intermediate instructor level back in 10th which I thought was a pretty good feat for a southern boy. On the another note....

...we had wooden White Stars and leather bindings...(lots of fun) We did finally get Silveretta biindings before I left and they weren't much better.

Probably the same wooden White Stars I used in 1969 in the 10th!

Jim

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 20:39   #9
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by incommin

Jim
I remember the winter of '69 and skiing on the golf course at Devens. We just got brand new Heads with Silverette bindings/chips and I was busting my butt in prep for a trip to Alaska and the great noothern ski school.

We wound up with the White Stars/White Mickey Mouse Boots/ and bindings that were leather and fiberglass. Can't remember the names of those suckers.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 21:25   #10
lksteve
Quiet Professional

boots are kinda funny....find something that fits your feet...bindings...well, when it comes to 3-pin bindings, i don't think there's much out there to separate one from the other...

of course, as a 10th Group guy, i've skied Chips and Death (White) Stars with Silveretta cable bindkings, Hanwags and Heads with Marker touring bindings (the sumbitch that dreamed those bindings up needs to be shot, hung and shot again), and when we were "allowed" to bring our own boots, i used Koflach Vallugas with a Silveretta 400 binding on a Vokl Renntiger (Alpine Touring HSLD for sure)...in Alaska, i used Mickey Mouse boots with a cable binding on Head skis...

i have a pair of Jaarvinen skis with Salomon boots and bindings, but they aren't touring skis...

right now, i have Karhu skis with Karhu 3-pin bindings and boots...it seems to be a workable combination...i tried Raichle 3-pin boots and Salomon as well, but they didn't seem to fit me right....and that's the key...if the boots don't fit, you will be one unhappy camper...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 21:28   #11
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947
We wound up with the White Stars/White Mickey Mouse Boots/ and bindings that were leather and fiberglass. Can't remember the names of those suckers.
there was nothing HSLD about Winter Warfare training in Alaska...survival skiing, snowshoe marching and moving fast enough to keep from freezing were pretty much what we did...all the time...seven months out of the year...

you know, sometimes i miss those days...then the nurse brings me my meds...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 02-08-2007, 08:30   #12
kachingchingpow
Guerrilla

Slightly OT...

<deleted>

Didn't intend for my post to be in a 10th grp forum. Thought this was a "gear" topic.

Carry on.

Last edited by kachingchingpow; 02-08-2007 at 12:18.
kachingchingpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 15:57   #13
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Ahhhh.... Civilian Life

Found this site a little late, but always like to post to BC ski gear threads...

Hanwags and Ramer bindings, no more 404s and Lowe plastic mountaineering boots. In the mid 90s who the heck got those 200cm no waist 2x4s with the tip curled up?

Anyway...

My rig now is Atomic MX:9s with Fritschi Freeride bindings and Nordica TR12 BC Touring boots.

"Drove" them in Garmisch this year too, just to make a few people jealous.

Aber der Schnee war nicht so gut dieses Jahr. Should have stayed in CO.

Al
alfromcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:43   #14
SFS0AVN
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by incommin View Post

Jim
That brings back some memories. Ltc Karavorie and Lt Thorne after the first snow fall, ve go kross contry now! He would put on his Finn XC skiis and the rest would take Army white stars with Kandahar bindings and the Mtn Boots made in Toelz. Later you could buy and use your own civilian skiis and boots in Toelz.

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine."
Rommel
SFS0AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:47   #15
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS0AVN View Post
Later you could buy and use your own civilian skiis and boots in Toelz.
Yup...WW training uniforms of 1/10 used to give the students in the 7th Army NCO Academy fits..."But SGM, none of you guys are even wearing the same boots..."