Administrators

Special Forces Soldiers receive combat training from renowned UFC fighter

RELEASE NUMBER: 070116-02
DATE POSTED: JANUARY 16, 2007

Quote:
Special Forces Soldiers receive combat training from renowned UFC fighter
By: MAJ Kelly Crigger
1st Special Forces Group (Airborne)

FORT LEWIS, WA. (USASOC News Service, Jan. 16, 2007) – As I drove to my Thursday morning combatives session at zero-dark-thirty recently, my cell phone rang.

“Hello?”

“We ready, bra,” came a gruff Hawaiian-accented response tainted by early morning fog and a touch of jet lag.

“You don’t have to BJ,” I told him. “You gave a two-hour session to our best grapplers yesterday. This morning is just our normal workout.”

“Yeah I know. Let’s do it,” he replied, as professionally as any Officer I’d ever met.

On Pearl Harbor Day, BJ Penn, voted one of the best pound-for-pound fighters ever by Elite Fighter magazine, gave his own time and expertise to some Green Berets at Fort Lewis, Wa. simply because he wanted to contribute to the war on terror. At his own expense and with his younger brother Reagan, also a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt, in tow, BJ spent two days with the 1st Special Forces Group sharing his vast knowledge of submission grappling…twice. Displaying true character and dedication, BJ not only conducted a two-hour seminar with Soldiers from across the Group, but he also took another hour to train with members of the Headquarters the next morning. For a man who nominally garners up to $5,000 an hour for his services, this was a tremendous gift.

“My time is nothing compared to saving a life,” BJ offered. “If I can show them a skill that they use in combat or something that helps get them out of a bad situation, then I’m happy to do it.” With over five hundred documented cases of hand-to-hand combat since the war on terrorism began, it’s likely that this scenario could happen.

For his time and effort, BJ was treated to a static display of Special Forces equipment and received familiarization training on several different weapon systems. Not only did he donate his time to teach grappling skills, but he was equally as generous with his personal time, having breakfast with the troops in the Group dining facility and sharing dinner at a local restaurant with ten Soldiers, some of whom recently returned from Iraq. During his visit, BJ never hesitated to give one-on-one instruction, take a picture, shake a hand or sign an autograph.

“Actions speak louder than words,” Group Commander, COL Eric Wendt said as he presented Penn with a “Special Forces Brotherhood” certificate. “He did this out of his own pocket just to show support for us. He’s a warrior who will always be welcome in First Group.”
By the time BJ and Reagan left, the legendary northwest fog finally lifted and Mount Rainier came into view. “It’s not Hawaii, but I like the Northwest,” BJ admitted. “I could definitely come back.”

-usasoc-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fort Lewis.jpg (401.2 KB, 505 views)
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 19:09   #2
Cincinnatus
Guerrilla

Sneaky, Yoo-hoo Sneaky!!! I can't wait til he sees this.
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 19:17   #3
Irish_Army01
Guerrilla

I Read this on another Forum,And I'll say its Great to see Sports personalities lending there time to the military..Fair Play.(looks like the Guys had some Fun too)

Last edited by Irish_Army01; 01-19-2007 at 03:11.
Irish_Army01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 21:24   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Army01
I Read this on another Forum,And I'll say its Great to see Sports personalities leading there time to the military..Fair Play.(looks like the Guys had some Fun too)
+1.

I see nothing wrong with it.

Cin,
Quit trying to stir up shit.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 13:40   #5
Cincinnatus
Guerrilla

Mois?
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 20:29   #6
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Good ju-ju!
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 20:31   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior-Mentor
Good ju-ju!
LOL
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 23:19   #8
gtcrispy
Quiet Professional

That's odd. I had no idea he was even here. I believe he was also up here during Menton hanging out at the range.
gtcrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:49   #9
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

cool.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:28   #10
incommin
Quiet Professional

Kool!

Jim

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:27   #11
Intel_Airman
Guerrilla

While I'm not the largest BJ Penn fan (due to some of his antics in Hawaii), I must say this was pretty awesome of him. He is known as "the prodigy" because he gained his black belt in BJJ in 3 1/2 years by training twice a day every day. For any of you guys that roll, you know that is about a quarter of the average time. He has great work ethic.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:44   #12
kachingchingpow
Guerrilla

Not a big fan of people fast tracking to belts, regardless of how often they train. Unfortunately it seems lately that belts are a measurement of one's knowledge and ability, with less emphasis on dedication. There are very good reasons that the process of getting ones black belt in BJJ takes 10 years, regardless of training frequency. Enough to start another thread for sure.
Old 06-04-2007, 22:23   #13
spartanfed182
Asset

thats awesome...
spartanfed182 is offline   Reply With Quote