Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 01-12-2007, 02:26   #1
subfighter77
Asset

ODA or what?????

I have a lot of peers who claim to have "friends" in SF. They say that their buddies in SF don't like it. They don't like it because they are not on an ODA team. That is what they say anyway.

I am going to SFAS next month. I realize thinking so far in the future may be putting the cart before the horse, I just want to find out what is really going on. So my question is: If you are not on an ODA team what the hell are you doing? How long does it take to get onto an ODA team if you are not chewed the hell up?

I have asked my buddy who has been there and done that and he loves it and tells me get your ass to selection NOW!!! I would go to selection anyway for the challenge and the reward if I pass the Q. SF has to be better than the regular Army. Intelligent people who want to be there and believe in what they are doing....yeah much better!!!!!

Thanks
subfighter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:51   #2
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

SF is a big place. I don't have the time to explain it all to you here. If you want "in", stop listening to detractors and continue training.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:11   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Odds are better than even that you will not make it through SFAS or the SFQC, so I would not worry too much about what 18s who are not on ODAs do.

Kind of like pondering how you will spend your lottery money before you win it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:37   #4
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Why are you listening to third party hearsay when you say you have a (BTDT) buddy telling you something different...? I won't go into details either but it takes a lot of chefs of all kinds and levels to run a large 5 star restaurant.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:44   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

As an enlisted man, you will serve at the pleasure of the Sergeant Major.

But then again, what The Reaper said.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:49   #6
subfighter77
Asset

It is just a question I had. Don't mean to clog up your website. Just wanted to be able to tell the naysayers I know better. I still want to know but I will have to get the answers the HARD way. Thanks.

Hopefully, I will find out.
subfighter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 14:00   #7
Pete
Quiet Professional

I think not

I think not.

I think on this one you will have to go with what people tell you because you will never find out for yourself.

When new people report into the Company their first impression on the SGM will lead to one of four possible outcomes.

Pete

Gave people the good or bad news a few times in my life.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 15:06   #8
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
As an enlisted man, you will serve at the pleasure of the Sergeant Major.
Ahhhh, the alpha and omega of a SF soldier's existence
Old 01-12-2007, 19:48   #9
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

subfighter77 - If you make it you will go where you're told and do what you're told and be thankful for the opportunity to serve with some of the finest people on the planet. If you can't accept that then look for another career path. My first "interview" with a CO SGM 28 years ago is still fresh in my mind. SGM Earl Bleacher left a permanent impression despite the fact that I was so green I didn't have a clue who I was talking to (more like - who was talking to me). And no - I didn't get to do what I wanted. I did what the SGM/Company needed. And even though I didn't like it, I survived and I'm probably a better man for the experience. FWIW - Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 20:09   #10
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
SGM Earl Bleacher left a permanent impression
Forehead or ass?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote