Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 12-24-2006, 12:16   #1
Scimitar
Area Commander

Question Question on Time required to get 'up to speed' for SFAS

Hello Gentlemen,

Quick question if I may.....

Have an 18x contract.

From what I can tell so far....if you want to be 100% prepared for SFAS (and you're stupid not to be) you should be consistently getting the below. (i.e. the effort should not be to exhaustion - can do the different exercises a few days in a row and still be consistent)

I have been told that BCT & BAT will not help you get to this level and so you should go into BCT at this level.

Have ordered Warrior Mentor book, but was hoping for an answer sooner.

APFT = score 300 in 17-21 age group (Sit-ups / press-ups / short run)
Pull-ups = min 6 (preferable 12)
Swim = min 50m in BDUs (preferable 100m)
Ruck March = 12 miles @ 55lb + LBE + Rifle,
= 13 min miles + breaks
= Correct Shoes, LBE, Technique, and foot care.

QUESTION: Have I covered everything here?

NEXT

Have damaged my knee while playing football....and although no big deal (Dr says) I have to keep of it for 6 weeks. (incl cycling and swimming)

Although I can work on my upper and core strength , I can't work on the running stuff.....so by the time I can start the cardio up again, I may not have enough time to get up to speed before I ship out.

I have been told I can request an extension to my ship date and would like to take this option if the facts show that I won't be fully prepared in time.

Currently consistently scoring 220 on APFT, (sit-ups a bit low though.)
Hitting 16 min miles on rucking....need to improve!!

QUESTION: I know this is a hard question to answer as it so subjective, but

6 weeks till knee ready…….how many weeks after that would I need to get up to speed in the ‘swim/run/ruck’ area before I ship?

4 wks? 6 wks? 12 wks?

pls note.....I have much free time to put into training as I need.

Your assistance is appreciated
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:33   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

First, I hate to be nitpicking, but if you call them "press-ups", you are going to be doing a lot of them.

Second, did you not get the SWCS SFAS Prep Handbook that lays out the prep program by weeks?

Next, you are not going to succeed with your PT scores and rucking that slow. You may not make it through the first week.

Finally, you need to use the search button before starting any more threads here.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:54   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

HEY ALL OF YOU SF "Candidates"

This is where you can contribute,Scimitar is in need of some direction. I'm sure you guys can send him a few PM's and tune him up!

Team Sergeant
Old 12-24-2006, 13:19   #4
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

220, WTF...

With that, as long as your knee is healed by the time you ship then ship. Waiting is accomplishing nothing more than prolonging the inevitable. You have 13 weeks at OSUT and another 3 of BAC before you even get to SOPC then SFAS. You have alot of time to work on your APFT. That doesnt mean you can slack.

There is plenty of time in the evenings at OSUT to do 'extra' PT (read: YOU NEED TO DO EXTRA PT). While in OSUT remember, getting smoked is just another chance for you to PT. Dont get all pissy about it, noone likes a whiner. You need to work on building functional muscle. Pushups, elevated pushups, hand-stand pushups, etc... should all be part of your routine. If your abs are weak, which by admission they are, you need to pay extra attention to them. Situps, crunches, flutterkicks and so on. Dont just stick to situps so you can pass the APFT. Remember, functional muscle.

Running is based on ability groups at OSUT. You should always run with the A group. If they are too fast for you and you fall back, you will be picked up by B group...and so on (DONT FALL OUT). If you dont feel like you are about to vomit then you need to run harder. The runs arent that far or that fast.

As for rucking, I found that rucking was more difficult at OSUT because I had to walk so damned slow as not to leave the other guys behind, which I still did. Be sure your boots are broken in before you start trying to set a new land speed record or you will pay for it. Since there isnt time, or atleast wasnt for me, to do extra rucking at OSUT work on air-squats, lunges, and calf raises...lots of calf raises.

You will have to do PT on your own at BAC to stay in shape. The PT there is a farce. Run, ruck, and do other conditioning drills at night when the training day is over. There will be plenty of guys going out for beer and pizza as well as chasing skirts. You should be going for a run and a protein shake instead.

Remember, keep your eyes on the goal. Always strive to be the best. Ready yourself mentally for whats ahead as well as physically. When the body starts to fail you, and it eventually will, your mind will push you the remainder of the way providing you took the time to prepare it as well. NEVER, EVER quit.

Oh, and have a Merry Christmas.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 13:21   #5
Scimitar
Area Commander

Thanks

Firstly.....Thanks for the quick replies...(wow)

1.....Sorry we call then press-ups were I come from....thanks for the heads up......Push-ups...right?

2......I have asked my Recruiter for the PT 31-210-SWCS a couple of times....where else can I source this?

3.....Yes I realize that I'm not up to speed yet......trying to understand how long it might take me to get up to speed as I can extend my ship date if need be.

4.....Sorry about the lack of search...assumed that there would be no info on this topic....need to improve my SA.......my bad.
Old 12-24-2006, 13:32   #6
Scimitar
Area Commander

Surgical Cric

Great feedback Cric

220...WTF....do you mean "that’s good enough to ship with"....or do you mean "WTF you got to get that higher"

1. I only enlisted last week so have just started PT...

2. Functional Mussel....good one

3. I have been told that you will not have time on OSUT or BAT to do extra PT and get beyond 230......I have been advised to hit OSUT with 300 and a lot of rucking under my belt? Thoughts?

4. Build calves for Rucking...good one

I'm sure Warrior Mentor discusses all this...just haven’t got it in the mail yet
Old 12-24-2006, 13:36   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Sean:

The link to the PT prep manual is on this website in a sticky you should have already read before posting anything here, much less starting new threads.

It is also available pretty easily via a google search. It took me less than 30 seconds to find it.

If you are the sort who needs to be told exactly what to do and where to find it, you may want to reconsider your enlistment as an 18X. Frankly, from your posts, compounded by your poor fitness, you will not be coming to Bragg at all, but will have six years as an infantryman to serve.

Your knee should not be keeping you from working on your weak upper body and abs. Start knocking out sets of push-ups and sit-ups, interspersed with crunches, flutter kicks, etc.

The sticky that you should read also reveals the following:

"d. The Army Research Institute (ARI) has been able to closely correlate performance on the APFT and a 4-mile rucksack march with success in SFAS. During fiscal year (FY) 89 and FY 90 ARI evaluated the cumulative APFT score (17 to 21 age group standard) with the percent of candidates who started SFAS and who passed the course. The average PT score for SFAS graduates is 250. The average PT results are depicted below:

APFT Score Percent Passing Course

206-225 31

226-250 42

251-275 57

276 or higher 78

The higher the APFT score, the better the percent that passed the course. You need to be in top physical condition and you should do well in SFAS.

e. ARI evaluated the ability of SFAS students to perform a 4-mile ruckmarch in battle dress uniform (BDU), boots, M-16, load bearing equipment, and a 45-pound rucksack. The overall average 4-mile ruckmarch time for graduates is 61 minutes. The average PT results are depicted below:

Ruckmarch Time (Min) Percent Passing Course

54 and less 81

55-64 63

65-74 34

75-84 10

The less time to complete a 4-mile ruckmarch, the better the percent who passed the course. The Soldiers who prepare for SFAS through PT should succeed at SFAS."

As you can see, your numbers put you squarely in the "not likely to be selected" category. They are reflecting poorly on your ability to motivate and self-start, both characteristics we are searching for. If I were you, I would read the stickies and intros, stop posting, get off the computer, and into the front leaning rest, or on your back with your heels raised. More reading and PTing, less posting. IMHO, you do not belong at SFAS if you cannot score 280 or better and make 14 minute miles or less for 12 miles at the time.

Of course, that is just my opinion, for what it is worth.

Good luck and have a very SF day.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 12-24-2006, 13:36   #8
Scimitar
Area Commander

PT 31-210-SWCS

Just internet serached for this...didn't think it would be online.

So it says that 5 weeks will surfice to prep you for SFAS....along with continued maintainence work during OSUT + BAT + SFAS Prep?
Old 12-24-2006, 13:41   #9
Scimitar
Area Commander

Thanks Reaper

Thanks Reaper.
Old 12-24-2006, 13:45   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar
Just internet serached for this...didn't think it would be online.

So it says that 5 weeks will surfice to prep you for SFAS....along with continued maintainence work during OSUT + BAT + SFAS Prep?
You have it backwards.

It is SWCS 31-210 PT.

Get with the program. Any PT would be an improvement.

TR

Old 12-24-2006, 13:52   #11
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Sean:

You need to read alot more and post alot less. TR hit on it. Most any and all questions you may have will probably have been covered here before.

1. Not being in the military is not an excuse for being out of shape.

2. Muscle.

3. You were told wrong. There is plenty of time. The first couple weeks will be hectic as you will be trying to find a groove, after you are off 'total control' you dont have a reasonable excuse not to. Those that dont have time to do extra PT and the same ones who cant find time to prepare their uniform for the next days training, or make their bed in time for PT formation, etc. It may take some time management skills but it can be done. If you arent doing PT it will be because you dont want to.

4. Yes calves. The soleus and gastrocnemius muscles, to be more specific, are the muscles responsible for propeling your body forward as you walk.

There are countless posts here on PT programs. Find one and get busy is my suggestion.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 14:18   #12
Scimitar
Area Commander

Question Thanks

Thanks for your feedback, Gentlemen

So from what you are saying, that is the best course of action?

I have 10 weeks till ship date....rest the knee for 6 weeks while working on strength core/lower/upper.
Once Dr allows me to use knee again start the 5 week program for rucking / running and just keep it up during OSUT-BAT.

Remember I can extend my ship date if I want to.....I don’t want to delay, but it may be wise to? But from what you are saying there is no need to?
Old 12-24-2006, 14:24   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I give up.

You are on your own.

See you on the block.

TR

Old 12-24-2006, 14:36   #14
racing_snake

Out of my depth.

Last edited by racing_snake; 12-24-2006 at 23:52.
Old 12-24-2006, 14:43   #15
Kyobanim

Sean,

Are you listening or just waiting to talk?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote