View Poll Results: Bodyweight training or Weight Lifting
Lift weights 58 72.50%
Bodyweight training only 22 27.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2006, 01:18   #1
ccrn
Guerrilla

weight training

Im old school so have always been biased towards body weight fitness such as pushups, pullups, situps, and run run run.

Now serving in Iraq with most soldiers in my unit half my age I see that almost all the PT studs that max their APFT (and more) are mostly training with weights. When questioned most of these guys are only doing tradiional pushups on chest day or a couple of weeks before an APFT. This means they are only doing pushups about twice a week compared to my five days a week. They are still doing situps with modifications such as decline bench etc.

Since being here I included a leg workout that I do every few days (standing squat, front squat, leg curls, leg extentions) as I feel it directly applies to military fitness. Ive noticed a difference.

I feel like Ive hit a plateau with bodyweight only training so am strongly considering hitting a gym in a serious way starting in the next few days then continuing when I return CONUS. Ill still contiue bodyweight training and ropes etc. Running is a given so Im not discussing that here.

Of course I realize that in primative environments that you cant take a weight gym with you.

Having said all that, my question is: How many of you Bubbus, particularly guys in the pipeline and currently in units, are using weights to maximize your strength as it applies to military fitness (not beach muscles)?

Do you notice a majority of you hitting the gym or is it the other way around?

How are you guys incorporating bodyweight training into your weight lifting?

Thanks for any input-

Mods please feel free to delete if not appropriate.

Last edited by ccrn; 06-16-2006 at 01:23.
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:46   #2
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrn
Having said all that, my question is: How many of you Bubbus, particularly guys in the pipeline and currently in units, are using weights to maximize your strength as it applies to military fitness (not beach muscles)?

Well you are going to get a whole range of answers here. Now I do not know if I ever fit into the Bubba set, but I trained with weights my entire career and always maxed the PT test. I found body weight training only to be insuffcient to meet my own goals. As far as taking the gym with you it is pretty easy to add additional weight to any exercise just using what you have available. The answer for anyone is to develop a program that they can adapt anywhere to fit their needs and stick too it. I find that the problem with guys that depend mainly on weight training is that they get frustrated after a deployment trying to get back into their routine and not being able to start again where they left off.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:02   #3
Five-O
Guerrilla Chief

Conditioning

Disclaimer. I have yet to attend SFAS .
Three components of physical fitness include: strength, endurance and flexibility. A well balanced program will attack these components; by definition a well balanced program includes resistance training, body weight exercises and of course cardio. Most successful athletes have an training program that enhances and maximizes (mentally as well as physically) their ability to perform specific tasks. Preparing for SFAS is not much different. However; one major difference of course is that, your entire being will be assessed during selection.
I assume you want to get in condition for SF? Read the book GET Selected for SF written by WM. An important part of the book is Appendix A. In it, he lays out a 30 day, day by day PT routine designed to get you in shape for SFAS. This program includes the obvious push up, sit up, pull up/ropes, run/ruck program but also integrates weight training and swimming. I have completed his suggested program and I found it quite challenging. The only thing I would add would be LONGER ruck movements with HEAVIER rucks and longer runs. Mostly for for my mental conditioning. IMHO you should keep your workout varied while focusing on excercises that will maximize your SFAS performance (Rucking/Running). As far as weight training, I am doing SOME heavy weight excercises but focus mostly on a light weight 7-8 station circut training. The circut hits all major muscle groups including cardio. The circut is so tough I do it only once a week because recovery time takes a few days. Also, guard against over training.
You want to peak at SFAS so read up on how endurance athletes "taper" workout programs prior to races. The weight training excercises should be compound movements that work two or three major muscles groups in one excercise ie...the clean and press, deadlift etc. I have read many, many, many times on this board that SFAS does not test your one time max on the bench press and the Cadre will probably not ask you to curl your ruck....so I stay away from the "beach weights". Again, IMHO only, complete the program WM lays out then make you own modifications to maximize and enhance your performance. Having said the above...I anticipate mental conditioning being the key to getting selected for the Q.

Last edited by Five-O; 06-16-2006 at 07:50.
Five-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:15   #4
Razor
Quiet Professional

Your poll is flawed, in that its 'either/or'. You need to incorporate BOTH weight training and bodyweight training into your program, along with cardio and lots of stretching to improve flexibility.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:56   #5
Firebeef
Quiet Professional

I'm with Razor..... ya GOTSTA do both!!! not either /or.... Of course, most people in Group and even during the Q course, we PT'ed ourselves silly during morning PT, and did body weight/isometric stuff, but lunchtime or whenever we could sneak it in we were in da gym pushin iron.

Last edited by Firebeef; 06-16-2006 at 10:01.
Firebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:28   #6
ccrn
Guerrilla

I realize the poll is not very scientific.

That is why the choices are "Lift Weights" or "Bodyweight Only".

The "Lift Weights" choice does not imply that you do not include body weight, cardio, running, or stretching. That is why it is not "Lift weights only".

It is also not meant to be a thread about preparing for SFAS or Phase I though it is aimed at those who are either in the pipeline, are or have served in teams.

Other types of weight training such as kettle bells would not be included. That is not to say I do not respect other forms of stress for the body, and I do understand that the body needs variety in order to not stagnate. For my purposes I have limited it to standard free weights and mostly AR type bodyweight exercises only. I should have mentioned that in my first post.

As far as my work out is concerned, I have pretty much always stuck to bodyweight only as previously mentioned. Besides that I usually run about 15-20 miles per week over four days and ruck about three times a week 4-12 miles with no more then 55 lbs. I ruck with issue boots, BDU bottoms, and what ever top I choose for that day (or night) at about a 4 mph pace if not faster on varied terrain.

When we redeploy CONUS I am going to up the intensity and volume of the above workouts and weight train pretty hard with an emphasis on strength and endurance.

As I learn more Ill explore other stuff that I have read about here and elsewhere.

I thank you all for responding-
Old 06-16-2006, 20:02   #7
eyes

Thumbs up

Last edited by eyes; 10-16-2007 at 12:07.
Old 06-16-2006, 20:14   #8
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrn
Im old school so have always been biased towards body weight fitness such as pushups, pullups, situps, and run run run.

Now serving in Iraq with most soldiers in my unit half my age I see that almost all the PT studs that max their APFT (and more) are mostly training with weights. When questioned most of these guys are only doing tradiional pushups on chest day or a couple of weeks before an APFT. This means they are only doing pushups about twice a week compared to my five days a week. They are still doing situps with modifications such as decline bench etc.

Since being here I included a leg workout that I do every few days (standing squat, front squat, leg curls, leg extentions) as I feel it directly applies to military fitness. Ive noticed a difference.

I feel like Ive hit a plateau with bodyweight only training so am strongly considering hitting a gym in a serious way starting in the next few days then continuing when I return CONUS. Ill still contiue bodyweight training and ropes etc. Running is a given so Im not discussing that here.

Of course I realize that in primative environments that you cant take a weight gym with you.

Do you notice a majority of you hitting the gym or is it the other way around?

How are you guys incorporating bodyweight training into your weight lifting?

Thanks for any input-

Mods please feel free to delete if not appropriate.
CCRN:

Like Jack Moroney, I have lifted weights for my Army career and still lift nine years into retirement from the Army. Also like Jack, I ain't 'Bubba'.

'Bodyweight' meaning using your body weight for resistance? Unless you gain more body weight, you probably won't gain any more strength. Never used it as it won't add body weight or the type of brute strength a fellow needs to carry heavy loads short distances. I would rather spend twenty minutes doing some heavy sets on the flat and incline bench than spend twenty minutes doing push ups. Take my word for it, you will gain more strength using weights than your own body weight.

I used to have to train up for a PT test as I lifted more than ran. Would start running wind sprints about a month from a PT test and that was enough to get me through the two mile run in a respectable time.

I still lift and yes, I do cardio. As I destroyed my back, feet, and knees while in the Army due to a combination of excessively long runs (mandated) and excessively long and very fast ruck sack marches (also mandated), I can't run as much as I would like. So I bought a rowing machine and now will run a mile and then row a mile or two three times a week. However, I lift five days a week and have done so for going on about 28 years now.

I have yet to hear someone who isn't living in a dream world give a logical reason why someone in the Army is in shape only if he can run five miles in 35 minutes or ruck march twenty miles in five hours. If our Army is ever reduced to having to speed march with full kit, it means we have already lost the war.

Oh yes, there is no difference in muscles between those who are Bodybuilders and those who are Power or Olympic lifters. I lift weights and am not a body builder but take my word for it, a body builder who is competitive and doesn't take drugs is one tough and very powerful Muldoon. I have watched them go through a leg routine numerous times. Sets of heavy squats, hack squats, leg presses, calf raises, etc. They have immense power and stamina.

The problem with the Army and its PT is that the right thing for a Combat Arms outfit to focus on is in fact resistance training with weights. However, there simply isn't enough gear to allow for any sort of progress in terms of entire units so the Army settles on things that don't require equipment.

My idea of PT for the Combat Arms would be something like 'Worlds Strongest Man' competitions. Easy to support -- just get a bunch of 50 - 100 pound round stones (BFR's is OK) , Beer Kegs filled with water, a couple of 1/2 ton trailors, and maybe a Stryker or two for towing.

Gene
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 20:23   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

http://www.rosstraining.com/infiniteintensity.html

More info than you can shake a barbell over. One of the best buys I ever made.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:39   #10
ccrn
Guerrilla

Thank you for the link-
Old 06-17-2006, 21:48   #11
Brother Rat
Auxiliary

I like to do crossfit and Warrior-Mentor's routines from THE book.
Brother Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 21:58   #12
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Econ
...just get a bunch of 50 - 100 pound round stones (BFR's is OK) , Beer Kegs filled with water, a couple of 1/2 ton trailors, and maybe a Stryker or two for towing.
Hey Gene,

Why would the beer kegs be filled with water?
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 22:02   #13
Brother Rat
Auxiliary

Possibly so you would not be as tempted to consume the contents while training...

But seriously, cleaning a keg that has water sloshing around in it can be a difficult task. It seems to call into play all the little balance muscles that you didn't know you had.
Brother Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 19:07   #14
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
http://www.rosstraining.com/infiniteintensity.html

More info than you can shake a barbell over. One of the best buys I ever made.
NDD

Nice site, I'm doing alot more of Total Body or Body Weight only training. With no Weight training due to the Surgery. I'm starting to look into stuf like this site. I was looking into Matt Furey Combat Conditioning. May have to get one of these books.

Thanks for the Info

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 20:43   #15
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Goat,
In my opinion, Ross is much better than Furey.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote