Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 05-31-2006, 21:44   #1
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Sliver Removal Kits

Does anyone make these or do you guys use the existing tools in your kit?

The question is for serious slivers, not the ones tweezers can reach.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 22:09   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Minor surgical kit has everything I ever needed.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:32   #3
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Minor surgical kit has everything I ever needed.
Yep...
A little lido (for the long lost ones), #11 blade, and some mosquito's usually does the trick

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:12   #4
Kyobanim

Bill, you can always use a piece of broken bubble wrap in place of that #11 blade.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:36   #5
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US
Yep...
A little lido (for the long lost ones), #11 blade, and some mosquito's usually does the trick

Eagle
Eagle,
What are mosquito's?

Kyo, will go make some more.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:19   #6
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey

Not sure what a #11 blade is, Scalpel?, What I have found to work very well is a #18 needle (for injections). The tip is cut at a angle is very sharp. It can go under the sliver and remove it.

(I think the #18 is the right size, a little on the big end of needles)
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 13:19   #7
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey

Damn, you been playing with pointy things again unsupervised? How much crap are you catching on the home front for this exercise NDD, who of course knows things, described the same set up my medics used to extract a whole load of black palm slivers from my palm. Worked like a charm, but as I recall it took a bit more than a little lido. Maybe that was because it was my junior medic and he was concerned about his EER
Old 06-01-2006, 14:28   #8
LibraryLady
Guerrilla

Mr Harsey,

Aren't sliver removal kits (aka big knife) issued on your first day of logging? Don't you make them on a regular basis?

LL
Old 06-01-2006, 16:01   #9
Razor
Quiet Professional

Mr. Harsey's creations are more like appendage removal kits, LL.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 18:43   #10
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Y'all are being kind of hard on the Blademaster about the bubble wrap thing. I would not be surprised to see some knives coming out of his shop sheathed in pink lace in the future....

Bill,
A mosquito is a small vascular clamp. It can be straight or curved and have teeth or not.

Click here for a pic
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 06-01-2006, 19:41   #11
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Looks like the same thing to me. I'm sure I'm wrong and some one will be along shortly to point out why.
Not me, my shot record is not up to date and no one pisses off a medico. Bevel up!
Old 06-01-2006, 19:44   #12
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Y'all are being kind of hard on the Blademaster about the bubble wrap thing. I would not be surprised to see some knives coming out of his shop sheathed in pink lace in the future....

Bill,
A mosquito is a small vascular clamp. It can be straight or curved and have teeth or not.

Click here for a pic
NDD, Thanks!
I'll locate some up here for the kit.

LL,
small slivers huh? I guess so. I watched my brother once pull a sliver out of a guys foot that had gone thru the bottom of his boot clear out the top with the foot in the middle.
Some bad slivers we had in the woods are the ones on top of big stumps that are the remains of the "hinge" when the tree was felled. These could be from inches to several feet tall and kind of spike shaped. The hazard to loggers was to jump from one stump to another, slip and fall on the "slivers".
Old 06-04-2006, 07:15   #13
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

slivers?? Damn languge barriers.. We call'em splinters down here

thread hijack moved.

Bill, you probably have some small mosquito hemostats in your fly tying gear. Then all you would need is the disposable scalpel and something for anesthetic. Course, you only need that for use when working on the wemmin' and kids right.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:13   #14
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamuelas
thread hijack moved.

Bill, you probably have some small mosquito hemostats in your fly tying gear. Then all you would need is the disposable scalpel and something for anesthetic. Course, you only need that for use when working on the wemmin' and kids right.
Yes we interchange the term sliver and splinter. The one I mentioned going thru the guys foot was over an inch in diameter and a couple feet long so that was a big "splinter".

I was wondering if those are the same clamps, I have one pair and that makes the fly tying stores a good "open" source for more.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:25   #15
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

The rest of the non-logging world calls the one in the foot a "stake" - often used to kill vampires.

For your splinter kit, you will also need alcohol prep pads to clean the wound before you start working on it, some monkey blood for after, bandaids of various sizes, gauze for dabbing away the blood etc. No sense in letting it get infected.

Don't forget to clean your instruments immediately after use. You will need a brush to get the blood out of the teeth on the instruments and some alcohol. Surgical lube to grease them and keep them from rusting. They won't be sterile, but you need to keep them as clean as possible.

A small magnifying glass can also be handy for us more experienced folks.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?