Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 04-23-2006, 00:03   #1
EPC
Asset

Question Please critique my workout...

I would like your opinion on my workout to see if I should make any changes or what not. As of right now, it is very limited due to stress fractures in both tibias (don't ask). My workout consists of the following:

Pushups
35 reps, 10 sets
25 reps, 6 sets
20 reps, 5 sets
I do them facing a mirror to make sure my upper arms are parallel to the ground. I go up until my arms lock.

I do flutter-kicks in place of situps to save putting unnecessary pressure on my shins from placing my feet under objects. 50 4-count reps, 20 sets. Done from 6+ inches off the ground up to a 45 degree angle.

I do lat pulldowns instead of pullups because I have no pullup bar.
150 lbs. 25 reps, 20 sets

I do pushups one day, then the flutters & pulldowns the next and alternate so I'm doing something everyday. I know I need improvement and have PLENTY of work to do, but I want to workout like the QP's do so I thought I'd ask here. Thank you all very much in advance for all replies.
"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble." - James 2:19, KJV.
EPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:00   #2
TFM
Guerrilla

The beauty of abs is that you can work them everyday. I would, time permiting, as this is an easy way to insure 100% on PT for situps. I don't know where you are at physically now, but I know we all have to start somewhere. Know that that is all this is, a start. You will have to do a whole lot more to be a PT stud, which is necessary in the combat arms line of work despite the fact the many have fallen by the wayside. Take it one day at a time, and gradually improve. Up the ante, change up the pace, and avoid monotony on a regular basis.
TFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:05   #3
jatx
Area Commander

What are you doing for aerobic conditioning? Once lost, it takes longer to rebuild than strength...
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:41   #4
Kyobanim

Moved to the appropriate area.

Kyo

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:13   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Let’s start with this: “Please critique my workout...” sounds, very, gay.

And this, “I do them facing a mirror” even more gay……

A Special Forces “workout” would kill most civilians. Just reading what we do for PT can cause civilians to go blind and the reason we do not post one.

Use the search button more and post a lot less. Think of a new screen name, Divinely Guided is getting on my nerves.

Team Sergeant
Old 04-23-2006, 10:26   #6
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Lat pulldowns to not equal pullups. Get a pullup bar or find someplace to do them right.

You are doing ladders with your pu - what you need to do also is practice what you need to do to get the score you want on the PT test. 100 in one go is much different than 100 in ladders. If you don't practice 100 in a go, you will probably run out of gas on The Day.

Flutter kicks are fine - for lower abs. You are not working your upper abs. You don't need to hook your feet, just do the situps and keep your feet on the floor. You won't be able to do as many, but they are harder and you will be working the muscles you will need. Sit ups aren't really a very good ab exercise and you need to work the other muscles involved. I could name them for you, but it doesn't really matter.

The bottom line is the PT test is a skill, you need to practice for it just like you will do it on The Day. Get you shins healed and practice take the PT test exactly as proscribed in the manual.

Oh, and what the TS said.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:32   #7
incommin
Quiet Professional

I remember a PT course near the old NCO club where we did all that during a 8 mile run........come to think of it...... I had to do more than that my first day at jump school...... I hadn't even made it to Bragg then....

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:48   #8
TFM
Guerrilla

Hey, you might wanna buy that book, Get Selected.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:03   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM
Hey, you might wanna buy that book, Get Selected.
Stay in your lane.
Leave the advice and counseling to the QP's.

Team Sergeant
Old 04-23-2006, 11:31   #10
TFM
Guerrilla

Roger
Old 04-23-2006, 13:18   #11
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

TFM has ESP and posted it for me.

Last edited by Warrior-Mentor; 04-23-2006 at 13:20.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 20:04   #12
EPC
Asset

Thank you all for the replies, and I will do as suggested.

I have "Get Selected".
"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble." - James 2:19, KJV.
EPC is offline   Reply With Quote