Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 02-28-2006, 11:52   #1
blackkn
Asset

drinking water or another substitute

Well it is not what you think.

I do not like to drink "plain" water I do however like to drink the flavored water(Ex-wife got me on that kick) however I am attempting to re-enlist so can I drink things like tea,gatorade or other sport drinks or do they not work for your body like water?
"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty."
- John F. Kennedy
blackkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:07   #2
Sten
Guerrilla Chief

I can tell you from first hand knowledge that if you don't carry it in, you wont find drink mixes in the jungle. Plus mix all that sugar with some water and it will mold up any container you try and store it in. Just "plain" water stores easier and most of the time you find it just "laying" around.

- Team Sergeant

"It is a right. If they screw it up, you take it away from that individual. Not the group and not because you think you are smarter than they are."

- NousDefionsDoc
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:08   #3
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkn
Well it is not what you think.

I do not like to drink "plain" water I do however like to drink the flavored water(Ex-wife got me on that kick) however I am attempting to re-enlist so can I drink things like tea,gatorade or other sport drinks or do they not work for your body like water?
Tea: Diuretic (makes you puddle)
Gatorade/sports drinks: High salt content-you need to be doing LOTS of activity to warrant the replacement value of sports drinks and they are primariy a short term absorption. Better option is to dilute them 2:1 with water.
"Energy Drinks"-lots of caffiene/glucose-> lots of urine production and huge crash coming down...

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:13   #4
jbour13
Area Commander

Here are the limits of what I know.

Tea has caffeine, a natural diuretic. Thus bad for hydration. Also has tannins that block iron absorbtion (not Green tea)

Gatorade, has electrolytes, helps hydrate with lots of water. Also contains sugar, which will raise body temp. Thus good for hydration if taken with plenty of water. Or bad for hydration if drank alone as a substitue for water.

Bottom line drink water, plenty of it, even on days that you're not physically engaged. Before a major physical event you should start hydrating 3-4 days out to avoid dehydration.

I see the Real Doc beat me to it.....Thanks Eagle5US
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:34   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You have to consider hyponatremia as well as dehydration.

I agree that like most people, I will drink more flavored water than plain water alone. Maybe it is an acquired taste.

I always carried a small bag of sugar free Kool-Aid and dumped just enough in my canteen to give it a fruity flavor. Much better stuff out there now, at CMK, they give out ORS and Pedialyte. Cut Gatorade, as Eagle noted is also great stuff.

I would avoid the simple sugar and caffeine until an emergency need arose. They are designed for a 60 minute game, not a multi-day marathon.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 13:25   #6
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
. Much better stuff out there now, at CMK, they give out ORS and Pedialyte.
I would avoid the simple sugar and caffeine until an emergency need arose.
In a pinch-
2 MRE Sugars and 1 salt in a 1QT works wonders...

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 14:35   #7
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I agree that like most people, I will drink more flavored water than plain water alone. Maybe it is an acquired taste.
Its a by-product of all that syrupy, nasty sweet tea you folks down south insist upon drinking by the gallon.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 14:41   #8
HOLLiS
Area Commander

What about a little drop of lemon juice.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 14:57   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
Its a by-product of all that syrupy, nasty sweet tea you folks down south insist upon drinking by the gallon.
Is there another kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLiS
What about a little drop of lemon juice.
That may affect the flavor, but not the electrolyte values.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 16:08   #10
vsvo
Area Commander

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
Is there another kind?

TR
LOL. That's one of the things I miss about NC, ordering iced tea in a restaurant and having the waitresses ask, "Sweet or unsweet, hon?"

Now I'm thinking they only asked me because of my Yankee accent!
vsvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:52   #11
jon448
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsvo
LOL. That's one of the things I miss about NC, ordering iced tea in a restaurant and having the waitresses ask, "Sweet or unsweet, hon?"

Now I'm thinking they only asked me because of my Yankee accent!
When my friends and I went on a road trip down to FL last spring break the first time we stopped for food in Virginia they asked if we wanted Sweet or unsweet. We had no idea there was a difference so we got Sweet. One of my friends drank around 7 or 8 glasses in 20 minutes then immediately went into a diabetic coma. The picture is from the aftermath of the Sweet Tea. Keep in mind this is also before the heavy drinking even started so we should have been 100% healthy at this point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3741.JPG (43.8 KB, 88 views)
Old 03-10-2006, 10:08   #12
vsvo
Area Commander

LOL. Nice pic.

We went to a soul food joint last night. They had a nice big Gatorade cooler full of it.
vsvo is offline   Reply With Quote