Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 09-15-2014, 17:39   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

The destruction of the Green Beret Club is complete

The destruction of the Green Beret Club.

Well done and thank you to the Command on Ft. Bragg, the Food Network and Robert Irvine, you have completely destroyed the Green Beret Club, an iconic place in our short history.

Green Beret Club featured on 'Restaurant: Impossible'
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 12:00 am

In July, the Food Network brought chef Robert Irvine and his "Restaurant: Impossible" team to Fort Bragg to give the Green Beret Club an extreme makeover.
The result? A restaurant with an updated image and menu that preserves the spot's history.

Irvine had two days, $10,000 and the help of 100 volunteers to make it all happen. But the details of how the Green Beret Club became the Smoke Bomb Grille remains unknown.

The episode featuring the makeover airs Wednesday, Sept. 17 at 10 p.m. on Food Network.

It will reair several times after that - Thursday, Sept. 18 at 1 a.m. and Sept. 24 at 11 p.m.
- Jessica Banov

http://www.fayobserver.com/military/...5561e908f.html
Old 09-15-2014, 18:25   #2
MR2
Quiet Professional

We should find some Viking architects and makeover chef Robert Irvine...

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 18:30   #3
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Where are all the "Groupies" going to hang out?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 18:37   #4
PRB
Quiet Professional

Hell, I'm sure the operators of CA/Psyop will love it......
PRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 18:59   #5
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Is it true that memorabilia is missing?If, so, Irvine needs to answer up.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 19:00   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Is it true that memorabilia is missing?If, so, Irvine needs to answer up.
They pitched it out and gave the SF Museum Curator a couple of hours to take what she wanted before it hit the dumpster.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 19:05   #7
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
They pitched it out and gave the SF Museum Curator a couple of hours to take what she wanted before it hit the dumpster.

TR
Holy fvck....Please tell me someone secured that dumpster....

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 19:14   #8
Richard
Quiet Professional

Hard to believe it's gone - but if the Army of Excellence can turn the "I Bar" into an effin' Little Caesar's take-out, well...

Last time I was at the GBC was my promotion to CPT while DetCdr ODA-724 - I ran an "OPEN TAB" until closing and ruined a set of dress green's helping dig out SGM (Ret) Dick Warren (my first ODB SGM in '72 when I was a medic on ODA-714) after he got his truck stuck trying to leave the club that night.

I CAN NOT believe there is no GBC at Fort Bragg - the home of SF.

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 20:23   #9
DinDinA-2
Guerrilla

So, where does one go now to find an ice cold Mickey's Bigmouth?
DinDinA-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 21:35   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I think it would not have been necessary, but for the fact hardly any SF guys had been there for years.

I have been maybe three times in the past year, more and more, it was a junior PSYOP and CA Club, for a quick drink on the way home (or back to the barracks). Very few customers, almost no SF unless it was a function. We got run out at 1900 one night because they were closing. They used to serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, stayed open till the last paying customer left, and recently, they were down to just a few bar menu items after work. I didn't even see any of the jalapeno popcorn they used to be famous for. The fact that the MPs used to stake it out has not helped either.

The real problem was that they moved all of the SF off Smoke Bomb Hill, and the remaining SF no longer patronized it.

They really should have moved the Club to the 3rd, 7th, USASOC, USASFC area, and my understanding is that they tried, but the area they wanted to put it in, had red-cockaded woodpeckers there first.

The sad truth is that the SF soldiers and retirees on Ft Bragg have not patronized it, and the best features of the club went away. MWR runs it, and they did not like to lose money. If this remodel fails, they will probably close it for good.

Sadly, I guess its time has come and gone.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:43   #11
Box
Quiet Professional

The Green Beret Club will ALWAYS be EXACTLY the way "YOU" remember it.
The folks that hang out in that building now have no idea what kind of "place" the Green Beret Club is. The Smoke Bomb Grille is just a building.
The Green Beret Club was a 'place'.
That "place" is just somewhere else now.

No granola munching reality tv show can change the Green Beret Club as I remember it...
Fort Bragg probably wants to forget that you might have seen drunk girls showing their boobs at the GB club...
...for that matter up until the late 1980's you could still see titties at the Yntema club.

Well, the morality police can turn the Green Beret Club into a grille that serves 82nd airbornE divisioN (I like to capitalize the wrong letter when I am being intentionally disrepectful) ...82nd themed hamburgers but they can't erase the fact that there are a lot of us out there that know what REALLY went on in that building in the past.
...an all american burger and some flavored tea can't change the fact that you're still sitting in a spot that had a drunk topless biker chick standing there not all that long ago while SF guys swilled pitchers of beer and cheered at her Regimental Crest tattoo.
Eating a hippy hamburger wont make you an "operator" and the image of that girls tattooed titties are forever suspended in time - just because you pretend that SF guys never paid strippers to come and pull out their boobs at the GB club dont change the facts. The building has a "spirit" that no amount of redecorating will ever remove.

Who knows, maybe they are just trying to soften the atmosphere so the new wave, alternative, LGBT, female commando era of SF people will have someplace to gather once the politicians finish forcing their cultural tolerance experiments down everyones throats. For now, the CA/MISO folks seem to have a blast hanging out in the building, and they dont really deserve to be hanging out in a PLACE called the "Green Beret Club" anyway. I'd rather see them retire the name than continue to watch it get over run by second hand SOF that just like to claim that they hang out at the "GB Club"...
The fallen brothers that we used to toast to, well, they don't deserve to be toasted in a place over run with the current crowd. They deserve much better than that.
No problem, we will go somewhere else and take the memory of our fallen brothers with us.

Like TR said, "The sad truth is that the SF soldiers and retirees on Ft Bragg have not patronized it, and the best features of the club went away."
Just because you can't get creamed beef on toast for breakfast anymore doesn't change the past...
Just because you can't get jalepeno popcorn anymore doesn't change how good it was while it lasted...

I see the redesign of the Green Beret Club as somewhat of a much needed euthanasia before "our place" was forced to lend its name to a bunch of wannabe-hangouts, second hand SOFers, and Regimental history usurpers. Over the last ten years, going to that place was like watching my favorite dog suffering...
...You love spending time with the old girl, but eventually, you have to put her down.

The Smoke Bomb Grille is unlikely to ever put so much as a softdrinks worth of my money in its cash registers, but like I said, the Green Beret Club wasn't just a "building", the Green Beret Club was a "place".
Maybe I'll buy another beer at the Green Beret Club someday, if I can just find the right "place"...
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 09-16-2014 at 05:13.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:41   #12
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I think it would not have been necessary, but for the fact hardly any SF guys had been there for years.

I have been maybe three times in the past year, more and more, it was a junior PSYOP and CA Club, for a quick drink on the way home (or back to the barracks). Very few customers, almost no SF unless it was a function. We got run out at 1900 one night because they were closing. They used to serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, stayed open till the last paying customer left, and recently, they were down to just a few bar menu items after work. I didn't even see any of the jalapeno popcorn they used to be famous for. The fact that the MPs used to stake it out has not helped either.

The real problem was that they moved all of the SF off Smoke Bomb Hill, and the remaining SF no longer patronized it.

They really should have moved the Club to the 3rd, 7th, USASOC, USASFC area, and my understanding is that they tried, but the area they wanted to put it in, had red-cockaded woodpeckers there first.

The sad truth is that the SF soldiers and retirees on Ft Bragg have not patronized it, and the best features of the club went away. MWR runs it, and they did not like to lose money. If this remodel fails, they will probably close it for good.

Sadly, I guess its time has come and gone.

TR
TR is right back in 2004 USASFC had X amount of dollars to do whatever they wanted. I knew the SGM that was in charge of it. What he said was key people within USASFC, SWC and National SFA didn't want it moved over the Histroy of the site. Even after a Committee showed how there was no longer SF units around the Club. The talk was to move it over close to where USASFC, 3rd or 7th were at. Two sites had pine trees one it and the cost was to much. The other one or two had projected building for the future, one being where the new 3rd Group HQ building is and the teh futre AFSOC bulding in 3rd Group area. I believe there was one other site from what this SGM said.

So this with some SWC OT's the SGM remodeled the GB Club. MWR took it over after that, it was running great, but a Red head, can't think of her name now. But she left for a 10th Group Guy and the new manager that took over changed everything, she sucked. It was ran into the ground. BG club made ore money that Sports USA did each quarter, that speaks at the amount of volume of people that went there on Fridays!!

It should have been moved over. I rememner SFA guys going there for Breakfast and Team Guys going for lunch. My ODA would head over there after for during the week, just to show that it was a SF Club. Fewer and fewer Current ODA members went, so the Reginment in my eyes lost this club to post. But Current and former, when everyone started to go to Charlie Mikes over the GB Club, that put the nail into the coffin. Really sad to see a part of SF History go away. IMO this is a factor of GWOT.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:44   #13
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

During my visits to Bragg, none of you guys ever wanted to go there anyway. Well, except Martin was kind enough to take me so I could see it on my first trip . . .
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 14:29   #14
Beef
Quiet Professional

Billy L nailed it. That's just how it was in the late '70s-80s. While nothing lasts forever, your memories last until you die.
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:49   #15
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
The Green Beret Club will ALWAYS be EXACTLY the way "YOU" remember it.
The folks that hang out in that building now have no idea what kind of "place" the Green Beret Club is. The Smoke Bomb Grille is just a building.
The Green Beret Club was a 'place'.
That "place" is just somewhere else now.

No granola munching reality tv show can change the Green Beret Club as I remember it...
Fort Bragg probably wants to forget that you might have seen drunk girls showing their boobs at the GB club...
...for that matter up until the late 1980's you could still see titties at the Yntema club.

Well, the morality police can turn the Green Beret Club into a grille that serves 82nd airbornE divisioN (I like to capitalize the wrong letter when I am being intentionally disrepectful) ...82nd themed hamburgers but they can't erase the fact that there are a lot of us out there that know what REALLY went on in that building in the past.
...an all american burger and some flavored tea can't change the fact that you're still sitting in a spot that had a drunk topless biker chick standing there not all that long ago while SF guys swilled pitchers of beer and cheered at her Regimental Crest tattoo.
Eating a hippy hamburger wont make you an "operator" and the image of that girls tattooed titties are forever suspended in time - just because you pretend that SF guys never paid strippers to come and pull out their boobs at the GB club dont change the facts. The building has a "spirit" that no amount of redecorating will ever remove.

Who knows, maybe they are just trying to soften the atmosphere so the new wave, alternative, LGBT, female commando era of SF people will have someplace to gather once the politicians finish forcing their cultural tolerance experiments down everyones throats. For now, the CA/MISO folks seem to have a blast hanging out in the building, and they dont really deserve to be hanging out in a PLACE called the "Green Beret Club" anyway. I'd rather see them retire the name than continue to watch it get over run by second hand SOF that just like to claim that they hang out at the "GB Club"...
The fallen brothers that we used to toast to, well, they don't deserve to be toasted in a place over run with the current crowd. They deserve much better than that.
No problem, we will go somewhere else and take the memory of our fallen brothers with us.

Like TR said, "The sad truth is that the SF soldiers and retirees on Ft Bragg have not patronized it, and the best features of the club went away."
Just because you can't get creamed beef on toast for breakfast anymore doesn't change the past...
Just because you can't get jalepeno popcorn anymore doesn't change how good it was while it lasted...

I see the redesign of the Green Beret Club as somewhat of a much needed euthanasia before "our place" was forced to lend its name to a bunch of wannabe-hangouts, second hand SOFers, and Regimental history usurpers. Over the last ten years, going to that place was like watching my favorite dog suffering...
...You love spending time with the old girl, but eventually, you have to put her down.

The Smoke Bomb Grille is unlikely to ever put so much as a softdrinks worth of my money in its cash registers, but like I said, the Green Beret Club wasn't just a "building", the Green Beret Club was a "place".
Maybe I'll buy another beer at the Green Beret Club someday, if I can just find the right "place"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef View Post
Billy L nailed it. That's just how it was in the late '70s-80s. While nothing lasts forever, your memories last until you die.
What BEEF Said, Well said Billy-L!!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote