PDA

View Full Version : MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

QRQ 30
11-30-2005, 12:43
First off, I wish to wish each and everyone of you a very Merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I started early while I am still in the mood. The rest is a rant on my feelings and you may feel free to skip, Unlike many of the supposed politically correct wimps in the country I will not force my values upon others and don't expect or tolerate others forcing their opinions upon me. Lately, it seems that the only one's who have their rights "protected" are minorities. Not only do I have to respect their values, which I do, but I am forced to lose my values in place of theirs.

Notice, I said Merry CHRISTMAS, not Merry Xmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hannukah, merry kwanza or anything else. I believe in leaving Christ in Christmas. I heard some disturbing things on the news today in reference to "Holiday Trees",and changing the lyrics to traditional CHRISTMAS carols, e.g. "We Wish You Merry Holidays". CRAP!!! I have a Christmas tree, send Christmas cards, play Christmas carols and have a Nativity set in my front yard. Maybe this will again be acceptable when we become the absolute minorities in this land.

Again: MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Gypsy
11-30-2005, 12:50
AMEN to that BMT. Every time someone wishes me a "happy holiday" I look at them like they have 3 heads and say Merry Christmas to you too.

MERRY CHRISTMAS. :)

Stargazer
11-30-2005, 13:33
QRQ 30. I agree. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Trip_Wire (RIP)
11-30-2005, 13:37
Yes, I agree 100%

Merry Christmas & A Happy and Prosperous New Year! :D

longrange1947
11-30-2005, 21:26
Merry Christmas to ALL,........

Even the atheists and left libs that hate to hear it. :)

CoLawman
11-30-2005, 22:10
Just for clarification, because I am guilty at times of using Xmas.....

The origin of Xmas comes from the Greek language ,which the New Testament was written in. The letter "chi" or symbol very much resembled the english X. The church often referred to Christmas as Xmas as it was more convenient to write and later for typesetting.

There is (substantiation unknown) legend that the X was the symbol for Christ. When christians were afraid of persecution they would refer to Christ in written language by the Greek letter of "chi" which again resembles our X.

This of course is consistent with the persecuted Christians supposed use of the fish symbol as code to identify themselves as Christians. This symbol is now observed on numerous car trunks declaring the owner/occupant as a Christian.

The point being..........if the liberals continue to win these small battles we just might be relegated to scrawling our fish symbols in the sand and referring to Jesus Christ as X. Don't worry the liberals would be unable to break our code, as they generally are not students of history or theology. :lifter

longrange1947
11-30-2005, 22:18
Don't worry the liberals would be unable to break our code, as they generally are not students of history or theology.

I don't think that they are students of common sense nor realistic outlook either.

They are fond of dogma and simpering apoligies to those they fear they may have offended.

Personnaly I would rather be thrown into the liberals arena with lions and tigers and bears, Oh My, before hiding from them. Piss on the dim witted idiots. Tell them their village called and they want their idiot back. :munchin

cback0220
11-30-2005, 22:43
They are offending me by telling me what I am supposed to say. Why does that not matter?

When did the voice of the few become louder than the voice of the many.:confused:

aricbcool
12-01-2005, 00:19
<rant>
What pisses me off, is that Christmas is a Federal Holiday! If the libs want to stop saying Merry Christmas, and all that, they need to vote to stop Christmas from being a Federal Holiday. And I hope they do, because every damned one of them would lose their jobs. It's absolutely asinine to pussyfoot around something that our government officially recognizes.
</rant>

That said... Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

--Aric

QRQ 30
12-01-2005, 08:50
Just for clarification, because I am guilty at times of using Xmas.....

The origin of Xmas comes from the Greek language ,which the New Testament was written in. The letter "chi" or symbol very much resembled the english X. The church often referred to Christmas as Xmas as it was more convenient to write and later for typesetting.

There is (substantiation unknown) legend that the X was the symbol for Christ. When christians were afraid of persecution they would refer to Christ in written language by the Greek letter of "chi" which again resembles our X.

This of course is consistent with the persecuted Christians supposed use of the fish symbol as code to identify themselves as Christians. This symbol is now observed on numerous car trunks declaring the owner/occupant as a Christian.

This is a rationalization after the fact. I went to Catholic schools for 16 years. The first complaints I heard of "Xing" Christ out of Christmas came from the good nuns.

The cross was used by the Christians during Roman persecutions. The Greek symbol for Christ was the Cho Rho. not the Chi alone. http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/religion/christians/chirho.htm

That fish (icthyous) you see on the backs of cars is an adaptation of the Greek letter alpha which is used as a symbol for Christ.

Spartan359
12-01-2005, 08:59
I agree with all of you. Merry Christmas! As a side note I picked up a CD by Larry the Cable Guy (Christmas version) and he goes off on all the topics we have mentioned here. Pretty damn funny stuff.

CoLawman
12-01-2005, 09:23
This is a rationalization after the fact. I went to Catholic schools for 16 years. The first complaints I heard of "Xing" Christ out of Christmas came from the good nuns.

I too was a victim of knuckle rapping rulers (12 inch type):D

The cross was used by the Christians during Roman persecutions. The Greek symbol for Christ was the Cho Rho. not the Chi alone. http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/religion/christians/chirho.htm

Taken from the source you cited:

Chi-Rho Symbol
The Chi-Rho symbol is an anagram of the first two letters of Christ in Greek, the Chi (our CH) and the Rho (our R). These two letters written together stand for Christianity in the Late Roman and Early Medieval periods.

Which is not contrary to my post.

That fish (icthyous) you see on the backs of cars is an adaptation of the Greek letter alpha which is used as a symbol for Christ.

http://www.cresourcei.org/cyxmas.html

The abbreviation of "Xmas" for Christmas, long reviled by many conservative and Low Church Christians, is not nearly as blasphemous as many contend. Rather than a sacrilegious removal of "Christ" from Christmas and replacing him with an unknown, as some claim, the "Xmas" abbreviation has a long history in the church. In Greek, the language in which the New Testament was first written, "chi" (c or C), which is almost identical to the Roman alphabet "X," is the first letter of the word "Christ" (cristoV, or as it would be written in older manuscripts, CRISTOS). In fact, the symbol of the fish in the early church came from using the first letter of several titles used for Jesus (Jesus Christ Son of God Savior) that when combined spelled the Greek word for fish (icquV, ichthus).

I just wonder if you and I fall under the conservative and Low Church Christians tag? :D :D

QRQ 30
12-01-2005, 09:38
Have you noticed that the fish always swims the same way making a lower case "alfa"? :D :D This is part of the Alfa-Omega symbolism. As with most things, I think the symbol comes first and the millions of explanations follow.

Sweetbriar
12-01-2005, 09:58
If it helps any, I've seen the X used to substitute as a shorthand for the title "Christ" in a number of ways. "Xtian" for Christian, and just "X" when used in contradistinction to the letter Omega (which I don't know how to produce on this keyboard) for God the Father. Look at a Greek icon, those aren't initials, they are the first letter of words in a phrase. If you want to simplify your expression and you're with a group that knows the referent (yeah, that's what I meant to say), then it's no big deal. And if you're offended, then you just got a fantastic opportunity to exercise Xtian love, patience and forgiveness. :D

Merry Christmas to EVERYONE!!!

Roguish Lawyer
12-01-2005, 11:01
QRQ, you are worse than the department stores! :D

C0B2A
12-01-2005, 11:08
I completly agree QRQ 30... thanks for putting it out there. Marry Christmas.

BamBam
12-01-2005, 11:53
MERRY CHRISTMAS Everyone and Prosperous New Year to ALL!!!!!! This thread has been one hell of enlightment on the meaning of CHRISTMAS. My thoughts are if you don't believe in Christ, Santa Claus, the gift of giving then shut the hell up and don't participate. But as for me I believe and don't need anyone to tell me what I can do or say about this Joyous time of year.

I was not privy to the Nuns, I was raised in a Southern Baptist home in the deep South. I been known to drink a little beer raise a little hell and have a lot of fun. This is the most fun time of the year and I plan on having fun with the family, especially the grandson celebrating CHRISTMAS. The liberals and others can do what they want but they will not be able to take Christmas away from me.

I got the Santa Claus Suit cleaned and ready to go..............HO HO HO MERRY CHRISTMAS and if you don't like me saying that, have MERRY CHRISTMAS anyway.

QRQ 30
12-01-2005, 13:11
I got the Santa Claus Suit cleaned and ready to go....

Me too!! Of course I don't need a pillow for the suit!:eek:

Actually I got through the first hurdle of the season. I actually weigh two pounds less than this time last week.:lifter

longrange1947
12-01-2005, 19:45
Somehow I am just not picturing Billy in a Santa Claus suit. :D :munchin

Chris
12-01-2005, 19:50
Merry Christmas and God bless you all this season :)

MAB32
12-03-2005, 19:55
Merry CHRISTMAS to all too, and God Bless!

QRQ 30
12-05-2005, 08:17
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,177562,00.html

Chris
12-07-2005, 12:04
Author unknown to me.

A SPECIAL FORCES CHRISTMAS

It was the night before Christmas, and all ‘cross the world
there were horrors and strife, atrocities untold
the wishes were prayed to the throne way up high
that God in His mercy would make it alright

the children were huddled, afraid for their lives
with visions of hope, before it too dies
their mamma in rags and I in my fear
dreading tomorrow, what hell will we hear?

when up from above, there arose such a swish
I sprang from my bed, for our lives I did wish
up to my window I flew in a rush
to see the end come, for my kids i hoped with a hush

the moon in the sky lit the ground down below
gave luster unclear, to the happenings it showed
I looked away to what did appear
a group of strange men assembling their gear

the one in the center, his arms all aflutter
the others obeyed without even a mutter
with speed and precision they went to their task
orders came from his lips, no questions were asked

"Now A team, Now B team, You got it? Lets roll"
"This day we bring freedom, ere light does unfold"
in the mists of the trees, cross the land they did ruck
"I bid you Godspeed and the best of good luck"

the leaves made no sound as they slid in the night
they met the resistance, no fear and no flight
they met their objective, their goal clear in sight
the bad guys soon knew they had a hell of a fight

my mind started wandering to stories heard told
about men above men who were the brave and the bold
I went to my knees and to God i did pray
that He would be with them, on this fateful day

the night then went silent from so far away
I wondered what happened, what I would say
my heart filled with fear as i heard from the stairs
creaking boards in the silence, yes someone was there

I opened the door, my heart was aback
I saw all these men,all clad up in black
I knew it was over and this was the end
then I heard a soft voice say "It’s OK, we're friends"

dressed all in black with faces unclear
clothes all muddy and eyes with no fear
he set down his pack, it bulged from within
it was full of food, and medicine

the end of his light emmitted a glow
for a second it seemed, i saw a halo
i knew then and there as my heart skipped a beat
my children could heal and have something to eat

he spoke not a word as he went to his task
he gave us much more that I ever dared ask
he circled his hand and his team came in silence
I knew that these men had brought an end to the violence

he spoke in his mike as a chopper came near
as swift as they came they would just disappear
then I heard them all say, as they flew out of sight
"The oppressed have been liberated, this night of all nights"

jon448
12-08-2005, 09:31
Here's another poem from Blackfive's webpage:

The embers glowed softly, and in their dim light,

I gazed round the room and I cherished the sight.

My wife was asleep, her head on my chest,

My daughter beside me, angelic in rest.

Outside the snow fell, a blanket of white,

transforming the yard to a winter delight.

The sparkling lights in the tree I believe,

completed the magic that was Christmas Eve.

My eyelids were heavy, my breathing was deep,

Secure and surrounded by love I would sleep.

In perfect contentment, or so it would seem,

So I slumbered, perhaps I started to dream.

The sound wasn't loud, and it wasn't too near,

But I opened my eyes when it tickled my ear.

Perhaps just a cough, I didn't quite know,

Then the sure sound of footsteps outside in the snow.

My soul gave a tremble, I struggled to hear,

And I crept to the door just to see who was near.

Standing out in the cold and the dark of the night,

a lone figure stood, his face weary and tight.

A soldier, I puzzled, some twenty years old,

Perhaps a young grunt, huddled here in the cold.

Alone in the dark, he looked up and smiled,

standing watch over me, and my wife and my child.

"What are you doing?" I asked without fear,

"Come in this moment, it's freezing out here!

Put down your pack, brush the snow from your sleeve,

You should be at home on a cold Christmas Eve!"

For barely a moment I saw his eyes shift,

Away from the cold and the snow blown in drifts..

To the window that danced with a warm fire's light.

Then he sighed and he said "Its really all right,

I'm out here by choice. I'm here every night."

"It's my duty to stand at the front of the line,

That separates you from the darkest of times.

No one had to ask or beg or implore me,

I'm proud to stand here like my fathers before me.

My Gramps died at 'Pearl on a day in December,"

Then he sighed, "That's a Christmas 'Gram always remembers."

My dad stood his watch in the jungles of 'Nam,'

And now it is my turn and so, here I am.

I've not seen my own son in more than a while,

But my wife sends me pictures, he's sure got her smile.

Then he bent and he carefully pulled from his bag,

The red, white, and blue... an American flag.

"I can live through the cold and the being alone,

Away from my family, my house and my home.

I can stand at my post through the rain and the sleet,

I can sleep in a foxhole with little to eat.

I can carry the weight of killing another,

Or lay down my life with my sister and brother..

Who stand at the front against any and all,

To ensure for all time that this flag will not fall."

"So go back inside," he said, "harbor no fright,

Your family is waiting and I'll be all right."

"But isn't there something I can do, at the least,

"Give you money," I asked, "or prepare you a feast?"

It seems all too little for all that you've done,

For being away from your wife and your son."

Then his eye welled a tear that held no regret,

"Just tell us you love us, and never forget.

To fight for our rights back at home while we're gone,

To stand your own watch, no matter how long.

For when we come home, either standing or dead,

To know you remember we fought and we bled.

Is payment enough, and with that we will trust,

That we mattered to you as you mattered to us.

Thank you too all who are serving and have served in the past. Merry Christmas as well

Spartan359
12-11-2005, 10:09
Check this out. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17527211-1248,00.html

HOLLiS
12-11-2005, 12:19
Would like to add Merry Christmas everyone, Chag Sameach (Hannukah greeting) and Hope everyone a wonderful New Years. May Santa fill your socks with Guns, Ammos, Knives, Cammo, your frig with Beer, oven with pizza, and that 2006 is better than 2005.

BTW, I have been enjoying e-mails on Happy red neck Christmas,
I will post them in the Humor section.

aricbcool
12-11-2005, 13:26
May Santa fill your socks with Guns, Ammos, Knives, Cammo, your frig with Beer, oven with pizza, and that 2006 is better than 2005.

Now THAT is a Christmas greeting!

Thanks HOLLiS. I hope it comes true. :D

--Aric

QRQ 30
12-11-2005, 13:37
I heard a great sound bite from a Marine Sgt in Camp TQ. Can't spell but it sounds like Tekata. He said: Let all america know that this year Santa Clause is wearing dessert camouflage fatigues and delivering Freedom to the people of Iraq.:lifter

hoepoe
12-12-2005, 06:17
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Channukah Sameach to all my friends and your loved ones.

Wishing you all a safe, healthy, happy and prosperous Christmas, New Year and Channukah.

Hoepoe

Huey14
12-12-2005, 06:35
Merry Christmas and happy Channukah to everyone (cheers to Hoepoe for the spelling of that, I had no idea :D ).

No snowy Christmas for me this year, but hopefully a sunny day with any luck. :lifter

I found myself singing Winter Wonderland this morning...

longrange1947
12-12-2005, 11:06
Channukah Sameach Hoepoe.

May you, your family and Israel have a safe and prosperous New Year!

HOLLiS
12-12-2005, 14:47
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Channukah Sameach to all my friends and your loved ones.

Wishing you all a safe, healthy, happy and prosperous Christmas, New Year and Channukah.

Hoepoe

Hoepoe todah, Chag Sameach.

Hollis

QRQ 30
12-12-2005, 17:31
I started on a rant but have seen some things a little differently. I was raised Catholic and our Christmas Season lasted for about two weeks. We put up the tree on Christmas Eve and took it down on the day after New Years.

Today the Holiday Season, IMO, starts with Thanks Giving and continues past Christmas. Not even all Christians celebrate the birth of Christ. Some Orthodox Rites celebrate the Epiphany which is 12 days after the birth of Christ, Thus "The Twelve Days of Christmas."

I stand by my statement that I resent people forcing their secular values on me. On the other hand it is just as bad for me to force my values on someone els. If someone wishes me Happy Holidays of Season's Greetings I'm not going to hyperventilate over that. As they say: "It's the thought. . . . "

Now if someone wants to lecture me of the PC implications of "Merry Christmas" I will gladly change my greeting to "Kiss My Ass!!"

I saw a list of stores that churches put out for us to bnoycot because they don't say "Merry Christmas." After reading the list I wonder what is left.

Season's Greetings and Merry Christmas and Happy Chanaukah!

hoepoe
12-13-2005, 08:46

Thank you Sir

And you and yours a Safe, Happy and Prosperous Christmas and New Year.

Hoepoe

Gypsy
12-13-2005, 20:22

Ditto Hoepoe, be well...be safe. All the best to you!

JMH85
12-13-2005, 22:07
Did anyone else hear that Wal-Mart is banning employees from saying "Merry Christmas" to its customers unless it's said to them first?

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

John

QRQ 30
12-14-2005, 06:18
Did anyone else hear that Wal-Mart is banning employees from saying "Merry Christmas" to its customers unless it's said to them first?

1. That sounds like a reasonable rule. Would you like a list of ALL stores with similar rules. At least they didn't ban it altogether like other stores.

2. I'm a little tired of the Wal Mart bashing. If you check you will see the source is "www.wakeupwalmart.com" A real unbiased source. A little further digging and you will find that wakeupwalmart.com is an instrument of the Retail and Restaurant Workers Union. Its all about UNION folks.

3. I worked for Wal Mart and it was the best company I have worked for. Sam Walton's son, who recently died in an airplane crash served in SOG at CCN and was highly decorated.

4. Consider the humanitarian work Wal Mart does.

5. I don't know if they still do now after over 2 years into the war but Wal Mart continued paying its employees full pay when they were called up to active duty.

6. They still have a PERSONNEL section instead of treating their associates as Human RESOURCES!

7. As I heard on radio yesterday :Liberal communists will attack any truly successful capitalistic enterprise!!.

8. This can be an entire new thread. Communists VS Capitalists!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Pete
12-14-2005, 06:43
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to one and all.

My Christmas cards are in the mail, shopping mostly done and I'm ready to kick back and enjoy the holiday season. Food, drink and friends.

My mother-in-law will have the black eyed peas on the table on New Years day along with all the other southern good luck foods.

As for the others, the happy holiday crowd? Bahhh-humbug.

QRQ 30
12-14-2005, 07:14

John

I know its early but you got me going. I say this is a reqasonanle rule in that it doesn't ban "Merry Christmas" altogether. Associates may and should reply in kind. We spent so much time defining Christmas as a religious Holiday. If we accept this, does religion have a place in a workplace serving prople of all faiths? Would you like an associate to wish you "Happy Kwanza"?

Be happy and have a joyful holiday whatever it may be. As for me I wish all a MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Kyobanim
12-14-2005, 07:57
The Christmas season for us starts on the evening of Thanksgiving, the trees go up, the lights outside go on and Christmas music is the only music allowed in the house, (unless you shut your door.)

I used to say Merry Christmas to everyone but now that I'm running a business things have changed a bit. Because of the diversity in the area I usually just say have a happy holiday unless someone says Merry Christmas to me first. I don't think it's as much politically correct as just good business sense. You don't want to piss off your potential customers. That being said . . .

Merry _____________________(fill in the blank) :D

QRQ 30
12-14-2005, 08:19
A partial list includes: Kmart, Sears, Home Depot, Target, JC Penney, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Kroger, Office Max, Walgreens, Staples, J.C. Penney, Dell and Best Buy.

What's left? Bye, bye Christmas!:rolleyes:

I find it interesting that most of the Mega Churches are closing on Christmas Day because it is a "traditionally slow day". So much for Christ!!:(

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!!

Kyobanim
12-14-2005, 08:44
And this is for all those people that won't say Merry Christmas . . .

Blue
12-14-2005, 11:57
Poking my head out just to clarify that WalMart does NOT in any way limit its employees use of "Merry Christmas". I work an extra job there and the stupid internet rumor mill has gotten so bad they even put big signs up around the time clocks saying, "YES YOU CAN SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!" It does not have to be after a customer says it first or anything of the sort. I wonder how many of the other companies on that list have been wrongfully accused as well.