PDA

View Full Version : Hornady TAP

JPH
11-05-2005, 22:24
Hornady TAP
USES: Executive Protection, Personal Carry, and another civilian situation.

For QP, LEO, and other ballistics experts, however everyone’s opinion welcome.

Dose anyone have any experience or opinion on the Hornady TAP 124gr and 147gr 9mm round.
Any information relating to this round in any weapon or environment welcome, however my primary concern is info regarding it and a GLOCK 17.
I have got to get some and run a test on it next weekend, I THINK I want to run it as my Duty load? As long as it runs well in my weapon and groups well…
I, having no experience evaluating ballistics, would like to try the 147gr rounds… my thinking being the heavier the better?
I have never shot anything in 9mm heavier than a 124gr. What should I expect am I really going to receive any increases terminal ballistic?
Are these questions showing my level of inexperience? I hope that I am not wasting anyone’s time!!!

With that said I will hold off on further explaining my question. The only other thing I can, at this time, think of that needs to be stated up front is that I am currently running Federal HYDRA-SHOK, and I am only considering switching because as stated above I know next to nothing about ballistics and several individuals who I think know what they are talking about are making this switch from H-S to TAP.

Side note: Admins if this is a rehash that I didn’t find in my search of this page or just a waste of QP’s time remove at your will.

Thanks,
JPH

swatsurgeon
11-06-2005, 08:12
JPH,
read under searched thread : .45 ammo, go down to #45 and start reading....you're questions should be answered

ss

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34999&postcount=46

Air.177
11-06-2005, 09:48
Hornady TAP
USES: Executive Protection, Personal Carry, and another civilian situation.

For QP, LEO, and other ballistics experts, however everyone’s opinion welcome.

Dose anyone have any experience or opinion on the Hornady TAP 124gr and 147gr 9mm round.
Any information relating to this round in any weapon or environment welcome, however my primary concern is info regarding it and a GLOCK 17.
I have got to get some and run a test on it next weekend, I THINK I want to run it as my Duty load? As long as it runs well in my weapon and groups well…
I, having no experience evaluating ballistics, would like to try the 147gr rounds… my thinking being the heavier the better?
I have never shot anything in 9mm heavier than a 124gr. What should I expect am I really going to receive any increases terminal ballistic?
Are these questions showing my level of inexperience? I hope that I am not wasting anyone’s time!!!

With that said I will hold off on further explaining my question. The only other thing I can, at this time, think of that needs to be stated up front is that I am currently running Federal HYDRA-SHOK, and I am only considering switching because as stated above I know next to nothing about ballistics and several individuals who I think know what they are talking about are making this switch from H-S to TAP.

Side note: Admins if this is a rehash that I didn’t find in my search of this page or just a waste of QP’s time remove at your will.

Thanks,
JPH

I'm not a QP, But I personally carry the Black hills loading of the 124 gr. Gold dot HP. It is a 124 gr bullet doing about 1250. I have had good accuracy and exceptional reliability with this particular load. I have shot some of the TAP ammo as well as some of the Hornady XTP in various loads. Hornady isn't bad ammo, but I prefer the Black Hills.

My .02, YMMV

hotntot
11-25-2005, 21:47
Very low flash when shooting in evening hours.