PDA

View Full Version : Fluid replacement with O2-carrying capacity?

spdch
08-25-2005, 10:07
There has been a lot of talk recently about a new fluid resuscitation product that has oxygen-carrying capacity comparable to blood, but is not. Have any of the 18D types seen or heard of this product? For that matter, can any of the civilian medical personnel on this site confirm this. It seems like it would be an ideal product for battlefield fluid therapy (assuming it keeps well, I have heard different stories on that point).

Thanks

D

jasonglh
08-25-2005, 10:26
Are you talking about Polyheme or a different product? Last I heard Polyheme was undergoing Phase III trials with EMS and Trauma centers but that was some time ago.

There was another product that died from what seemed to be media overkill. Hard to get good PR on your product when you are testing it on the most critical patients. Then the press running with how many people died after receiving it nevermind they were dying to start with.

But thats just my .02 plenty of more educated folks here than me.

18C/GS 0602
08-26-2005, 15:45
Polyheme is a hemoglobin-based oxygen-carrying blood substitute. From what I have seen it looks very promising, but I don’t know if they have worked out if the stuff is heat stable. If it isn’t it won’t be very applicable for the tactical environment. As jasonglh stated they have just begun clinical trials at several trauma centers across the country. They are just getting started and I don't think they have enrolled many people yet.

Thursday
09-02-2005, 13:11
Polyheme is currently being used in my EMS system in the Chicagoland area and so far, the medical directory is happy with it's results. It is being used in a no-consent, double blind trial, and seems to be proving itself better than .9% Normal Saline. As of right now, and I don't know all of the specifics, but it is not being cooled in any type of refrigerator or cooler.

It appears that after the study is done, and Polyheme gets the OK by all of the agencies that deal with the producs we use, such as IDPH and others, that we will have this as a supplement along side of .9NS, not as a substitute.

swatsurgeon
09-02-2005, 13:36
follow the link to a discussion we previously had....

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4465&highlight=polyheme

(not sure you can click it...cut and paste; or search polyheme on this site)

DoctorDoom
09-30-2005, 02:56
x