Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 08-25-2005, 10:07   #1
spdch
SF Candidate

Fluid replacement with O2-carrying capacity?

There has been a lot of talk recently about a new fluid resuscitation product that has oxygen-carrying capacity comparable to blood, but is not. Have any of the 18D types seen or heard of this product? For that matter, can any of the civilian medical personnel on this site confirm this. It seems like it would be an ideal product for battlefield fluid therapy (assuming it keeps well, I have heard different stories on that point).

Thanks

D
Old 08-25-2005, 10:26   #2
jasonglh
Guerrilla

Are you talking about Polyheme or a different product? Last I heard Polyheme was undergoing Phase III trials with EMS and Trauma centers but that was some time ago.

There was another product that died from what seemed to be media overkill. Hard to get good PR on your product when you are testing it on the most critical patients. Then the press running with how many people died after receiving it nevermind they were dying to start with.

But thats just my .02 plenty of more educated folks here than me.

Col. Robert W. Black
jasonglh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 15:45   #3
18C/GS 0602
Quiet Professional

Polyheme is a hemoglobin-based oxygen-carrying blood substitute. From what I have seen it looks very promising, but I don’t know if they have worked out if the stuff is heat stable. If it isn’t it won’t be very applicable for the tactical environment. As jasonglh stated they have just begun clinical trials at several trauma centers across the country. They are just getting started and I don't think they have enrolled many people yet.
18C/GS 0602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 13:11   #4
Thursday
Asset

Polyheme is currently being used in my EMS system in the Chicagoland area and so far, the medical directory is happy with it's results. It is being used in a no-consent, double blind trial, and seems to be proving itself better than .9% Normal Saline. As of right now, and I don't know all of the specifics, but it is not being cooled in any type of refrigerator or cooler.

It appears that after the study is done, and Polyheme gets the OK by all of the agencies that deal with the producs we use, such as IDPH and others, that we will have this as a supplement along side of .9NS, not as a substitute.
Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 13:36   #5
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

follow the link to a discussion we previously had....

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...light=polyheme

(not sure you can click it...cut and paste; or search polyheme on this site)
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 02:56   #6
DoctorDoom
Guerrilla

x

Last edited by DoctorDoom; 07-29-2013 at 08:47.
DoctorDoom is offline   Reply With Quote