PDA

View Full Version : Crap Moleskin.

haztacmedic
07-20-2005, 18:43
I tried to fix a few blisters this past weekend after a ruck march. I had a whole roll of new moleskin but everyone that used it had the same problem. The stuff rolled up when the socks and boots went back on! I dont remember having these types of problems with mole skin in the past. I applied it to dry skin and I made sure it was cut into the proper shapes. Has any one else noticed that moleskin doesnt stick like it use to?

NousDefionsDoc
07-20-2005, 18:44
Did you paint it with tincture of Benzion before you put on the moleskin?

Kyobanim
07-20-2005, 19:36
Did you paint it with tincture of Benzion before you put on the moleskin?

That's a memory that I could have done without :eek:

NousDefionsDoc
07-20-2005, 19:38
That's a memory that I could have done without :eek:
Ever had it injected into the blister?

haztacmedic
07-20-2005, 20:00
NDD: I did not have bezoin available. It would have took bezoin to keep the moleskin on. I have had it injected into a blister and dont recommend it to those who have not tried it.

lksteve
07-20-2005, 20:04
Ever had it injected into the blister?yep...and i've injected it into the blisters of others...as i recall, you withdraw all but a little of the fluid in the blister before refilling the syringe with benzoin...it is definately better to give than receive...of course, once you quit dancing, screaming and cursing the day you were born, the blisters seem to be less of a problem...

Kyobanim
07-20-2005, 20:09
As a matter of fact, that was my first 'experience' with an SF medic. SOB was smiling when he was done. Had to pour water on my face to hide my tears.

lksteve
07-20-2005, 20:16
As a matter of fact, that was my first 'experience' with an SF medic. SOB was smiling when he was done. as a buddy of mine used to say, it'll make you put back stuff you didn't steal...

The Reaper
07-20-2005, 21:22

Yes. Thanks to Pat Dillon.

Sadistic swine!

TR

Books
07-21-2005, 10:53
What's the consensus on duct tape for blister prevention? I've successfully used to to prevent blisters while breaking in climbing boots, doc martins, army boots, old school snowboarding boots (sorrells w/ duct tape in the mid 1980's). I'm sold on the product. It's also mentioned in a good book called Fixing your Feet . FYF has tons of info for the ultramarathon, serious hiker, foot soldier.

But I've also heard folks warn about using duct tape. Does anyone know what their reasoning is? Is is because of the adhesive? I've heard that bonafide 100 mph tape has some form of nasty epoxy that isn't good for the skin. Good for shot up planes and helos, bad for your feet. Or, is this just an urban legend?

Or, is it because some people wrap their entire foot in the stuff?

I use Duct tape this way: I know where my usual hot spots are and place one piece just large enough to cover the are plus a bit of overhang. Usually, this means on my heels and, sometimes, on the balls of my feet. I'm usually good to go after this.

When I do get blisters, I go back to the drain, moleskin donut over the blister. I then put a small bit of medical tape over the center of the moleskin donut to protect the wound from the one piece of duct tape I put over that for protection.

I find that Duct tape stays on longer than anything else (haven't used Benzoin) and the smooth side helps reduce friction (cause of heat).

FWIW

Books,

jbour13
07-21-2005, 11:01
What's the consensus on duct tape for blister prevention? I've successfully used to to prevent blisters while breaking in climbing boots, doc martins, army boots, old school snowboarding boots (sorrells w/ duct tape in the mid 1980's). I'm sold on the product. It's also mentioned in a good book called Fixing your Feet . FYF has tons of info for the ultramarathon, serious hiker, foot soldier.

But I've also heard folks warn about using duct tape. Does anyone know what their reasoning is? Is is because of the adhesive? I've heard that bonafide 100 mph tape has some form of nasty epoxy that isn't good for the skin. Good for shot up planes and helos, bad for your feet. Or, is this just an urban legend?

Or, is it because some people wrap their entire foot in the stuff?

I use Duct tape this way: I know where my usual hot spots are and place one piece just large enough to cover the are plus a bit of overhang. Usually, this means on my heels and, sometimes, on the balls of my feet. I'm usually good to go after this.

When I do get blisters, I go back to the drain, moleskin donut over the blister. I then put a small bit of medical tape over the center of the moleskin donut to protect the wound from the one piece of duct tape I put over that for protection.

I find that Duct tape stays on longer than anything else (haven't used Benzoin) and the smooth side helps reduce friction (cause of heat).

FWIW

Books,

I can't say it with enough conviction.....DO NOT USE duct tape!!!!

Yes, military grade 100 MPH tape does have an epoxy like compound used as it's adhesive. It will cause soreness and will cause minor to serious skin irritations depending on your skin type.

Any time you use something that can bind and roll while walking is a bad idea and will cause more of a problem than you are trying to prevent.

100 MPH tape does have it's "expedient uses" and should only be used as such. It is not a good preventative type of material. Patching in and out bullet holes or aiding in holding your splinting material for fractures is not a bad expedient use.

V/R
SGT B

Edited to add: Use this link and absorb the wisdon the The Reaper has put forth about new boots and taking care of your feet.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106&highlight=breaking+boots

Prevention is the highlight to this post!!!!

lksteve
07-21-2005, 11:11
What's the consensus on duct tape for blister prevention? properly fitted, well broken in boots, clean dry socks and preventative application of tincture benzoin worked for me in SFQC and Ranger School...i have rarely had blisters...

Books
07-21-2005, 11:45
properly fitted, well broken in boots, clean dry socks and preventative application of tincture benzoin worked for me in SFQC and Ranger School...i have rarely had blisters...

Roger that. The only time I got a serious blister in Selection was during a ruck during the team events when I had sweat soaked socks and no time to fix my feet. Hit times and all that. Whenever I had the time (Star, etc), I followed almost to the letter TR's advice in the link and was happier for it. That one blister though managed to get a bit mangled and pretty much hobbled me for the long walk at the end. A good lesson learned: Prevention is the KEY!

Thanks for the response jbour13. I'll stay away from 100 mph tape.

Books

Go For Broke
07-22-2005, 11:47
Band-Aid (Johnson and Johnson) makes / distributes a pretty good product that I have used before.
http://www.bandaid.com/advanced_healing_prod.shtml

I originally found it as Compeed (http://www.oswald-bailey.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=product&wce=19203001&desc=PK6+SMALL+BLISTER+KIT+COMPEED&) and have sworn by it since.

Couple of downsides: 1) It does not come in cut to shape like moleskin, but if you catch it early, the patches are generally large enough to fit. 2) It is waterproof, but will absorb water when crossing a stream or in a shower (FYI) 3) Because it is waterproof, you have to be careful when pulling it off, it will pull skin with it - I have found it better to let it almost slough off on it's own.

Positives: 1) It is waterproof 2) The edges are tapered 3) Slick surface, so it helps to reduce the friction.

Hope this was of some value to someone.

V/R,

Detcord
07-22-2005, 22:45
my philosophy is have tough feet to start with, then all you
might have to deal with is a hot spot or two at the worst.

i never liked moleskin because a blister may still develop,
and removing moleskin when there is a problem just traumatizes
the wound even more. removing the adhesive stuck around
the wound makes cleaning the wound more difficult too.

my normal setup is broken in boots, and clean socks.
occasionally, i would paint the ball and achilles area with
tincture of benzoine and put some clean socks on.

the socks will stick to the benzoine like glue, but will remove
easily when you need to change them. if the sock can't slide
against the skin, friction will be greatly reduced.

for tough skin around the achilles area, you have to walk in
boots. but, i've found the most effective way to develop thick,
tough callouses on the balls of your feet is to walk barefoot
around the house.

start developing callouses at least 2-3 months before you
will need them.

Bruno
07-22-2005, 23:28
If I have been caught short in the preparation department or in a pinch I have lathered feet with tincture of benzoine and then pulled on nylon stockings (yes...pretty little knee-highs...what?) let feet air out and dry completely. Then I've used regular foot powder as if on bare feet and pulled on a pair of regular moisture wicking hiking/combat socks. Gone on 30 milers with little prep and few hotspots. I have never heard any feedback from anyone else as to whether the technique has worked for them or what the downside may be, if any. Obviously, it's not something you have time to constantly maintain in a tactical environment. Rather it is a technique for a garrison type hey-you-it's-time-to-recertify-ruck-march. I wouldn't recommend that the first time you try this it be a do-or-die situation though. Might not be for everyone.

DoctorDoom
07-25-2005, 05:56
x

Razor
07-25-2005, 13:56
I suppose that getting new moleskin with 'fresher' adhesive from the medic/aid station (as opposed to that 'free' roll you got that's 15 years old and been in the back of an FLA in Georgia all that time) is out of the question, huh?

Detcord
07-26-2005, 02:04
The beautiful thing here is if you are not lazy and prepare your feet with thick callouses, none of this is even important. You can pay your dues before you report for training, or you can do "whatever" and hope that will work. I can tell you right now, "whatever" doesn't work.

Cleaning blisters is extremely painful, and that's putting it mildly. Failure to pay your dues before training will result in "paying the price" on sick call.

Training is hard enough without any foot problems, let alone with them. Prepare properly, it will be one less thing you have to worry about.

I guess it's ok to carry moleskin for the "other" guys, but it's nice to know you won't be needing it. :D

MinerDiver
07-28-2005, 09:38
Since discovering this product (Hydropel) I have never used moleskin again. You can find it online and I highly recommend it. I used it in the Eco Challenge in Borneo and never got a blister - even when I had serious trench foot. It is great under the pits, in-between the cheeks (to prevent baboon ass) and on the feet. Any long distance humping done with the team - well, they were all sold.

D9 (RIP)
07-28-2005, 18:31
I tried Compeed, moleskin, athletic tape, etc. All of it rolled up on me and made the situation worse. The only thing I've ever used that seems to help me is using good socks (my favorites are In-genius, but I like my Fox-Rivers as well). Both are available at the PX for about $10/pr, but IMHO it is a worthwhile investment. They'll last a long time, and in my case they made a big difference in my feet. FWIW.

HOLLiS
08-09-2005, 09:33
Have you tried duct tape?

The other and probably best solution is a good boot fitter. Movement is the a big reason for blisters and callouses. Movement in the boots causes friction which result in callouses and blisters. Stabilizing the foot and with proper fitting boots those problems will end. Most people tend to buy boots that are too big. They try to fit the compressed/weighted foot sized (foot's longest lenght), not the unweighted neutral postion (foot's shortest length). The different in size varies for each person from a little (1/4 of a size) to over 2 1/2 sizes (rare occasions). Example; My feet pronate 1 1/2 sizes. Meaning my 8 1/2 foot needs a size 10 boot to cover the movement of the foot. By stabilizing the foot, allowing room for the foot bed, a 9 works with no ill effects.

Generally, boot fitters can be found at really good alpine ski shops or high performance atheletic shops. If a shop does not have the Branock device (for measuring length and width of the foot), it is a good sign to leave the place.

The foot bed program that worked for me, was superfeet. They hold up a long time.

lksteve
08-09-2005, 17:38
Have you tried duct tape?HOLLis, we've been down that path in this thread...check page 1...it does not come highly recommended... :rolleyes:

HOLLiS
08-09-2005, 18:19
lksteve, thanks.

IMHO, correct fitting boots, is the answer to blisters.

Jgood
08-10-2005, 15:38
I tried Compeed, moleskin, athletic tape, etc. All of it rolled up on me and made the situation worse. The only thing I've ever used that seems to help me is using good socks (my favorites are In-genius, but I like my Fox-Rivers as well). Both are available at the PX for about $10/pr, but IMHO it is a worthwhile investment. They'll last a long time, and in my case they made a big difference in my feet. FWIW.

So what did you do during SFAS when your not allowed to use the fox-river socks..

seems you would want to train with the exact equipment you with have to go though SFAS with

D9 (RIP)
08-13-2005, 02:00
So what did you do during SFAS when your not allowed to use the fox-river socks..

I wore the socks I brought with me, and I moved out with a purpose.